Low cal vegetables for roasting?

Options
Hi all,

I'm wanting to mix up the way my vegetables are cooked and was thinking roasting would be good - however, I can only think of the high cal types (sweet/normal potatoes mainly haha). Anyone got some suggestions of vegetables that taste good when roasted/baked that aren't potatoes?

Replies

• thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Bell peppers squash and zucchini are my favs. I grill them weekly.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Carrots, brussel sprouts, pumpkin, cauliflower, asparagus, squash, parsnips, celeriac...
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    pretty much any veggie is awesome roasted. Cauliflower is my favorite. If you haven't done that, start there. Brussel Sprouts would be my next suggestion. Toss with just a touch of olive oil, some garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. I roast just about any veggie though and why stop at one - you can mix 'em up. Why not cauliflower with some tomatoes and pepper? While you are roasting, do some garlic too - nice flavor additive for other foods.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, green beans, egg plant.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Whole roasted cauliflower is amazing, I add turmeric to it.

For anyone UK, Aldi has them on the super 6 for 39p for a huge one!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, celery, green beans, capsicum, kale, silverbeet, cauliflower...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

This recipe is AMAZING.

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/cook/recipe/whole-roasted-cauliflower-with-lemon-and-mustard-20150720-3zk4z.html
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I like roasting bell peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, onions, and mushrooms together in olive oil and red wine vinegar with some herbs. Good stuff.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all vegetables can be roasted. I am trying to think of a vegetable that absolutely cnanot be roasted, and the only one I come up with is cucumber.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

This recipe is AMAZING.

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/cook/recipe/whole-roasted-cauliflower-with-lemon-and-mustard-20150720-3zk4z.html

That sounds lovely, I'll have to try it whilst I can get them so cheap! Thanks :)
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Asparagus, mushrooms, onions, carrots, cabbage (omg cabbage with garlic salt you're welcome), cauliflower (just roast the whole head for about 50 minutes - cover in sesame and grapeseed oil, some ginger and chili garlic sauce, yummy!), little cherry tomatoes....

Like, pretty much any vegetable tastes amazing roasted! Just try them!

Pro tip, never make a meal out of an entire head of roasted cabbage. You'll be pooping for days.