can i eat anything i want as long as i stay under 1500 calories a day and exercise?

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If your focus is on losing weight, and that's what MyFitnessPal gave you for a calorie goal, then yes. It's not a bad idea to pay attention to nutrition as well.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    That's how I've lost over 17 kg since April.

I eat whatever I feel like. Sometimes that's cheesecake or a cheeseburger. Sometimes it's salmon and veggies.

I like a wide variety of things, and everything in moderation.
  • drsbeautygmailcom890
    Options
    Whats ur calorie intake ?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Whats ur calorie intake ?

You can look at my diary. It's set to my height and weight and my goal of 0.5 kj loss per week.

Here's how to set a sustainable goal loss:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Basically, yeah. Stick within your calorie and macro limits and you should be fine. I have lost over 80lbs with a far from perfect diet because I'm a fussy sod, but I've still managed to lose a lot of weight just be being honest with what I eat and logging everything, that way even when I'm eating something like pizza I still stay under my daily limits.
  • nikkiab86
    nikkiab86 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Only problem I have is when I eat that cheeseburger and drink that thick shake. Half my calories for the day was gone. My diary is open. You'll see a couple days back. I use to set to 1,380 , kept me in check. But, when I went up to 1,600 I kind of over ate. So, I went back to 1,300s. So, that way I know if I go over by a couple 100 calories it wouldn't be much an issue. I'm still struggling a bit with portions.
  • Blake3693
    Blake3693 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can, but you'll feel much better as far as energy level, mood, & focus goes by eating 1500 calories worth of good food (lean meats, veggies - that sort of thing) as opposed to eating 1500 calories worth of pizza and soda lol. Nothing wrong with a slice or two here and there tho!
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    nikkiab86 wrote: »
    Only problem I have is when I eat that cheeseburger and drink that thick shake. Half my calories for the day was gone. My diary is open. You'll see a couple days back. I use to set to 1,380 , kept me in check. But, when I went up to 1,600 I kind of over ate. So, I went back to 1,300s. So, that way I know if I go over by a couple 100 calories it wouldn't be much an issue. I'm still struggling a bit with portions.

Eating junk food won't ruin your diet if you stay within your calorie and macro limit, but it will make you a damn sight hungrier throughout the day, which can lead to overeating. High taste/low nutritional value food has to become something you have as a treat, or when you're really craving it, not something you have all the time.
  • drsbeautygmailcom890
    Options
    Thanks guys. This is so helpful to me. I dont feel so guilty anymore...
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You can eat what you want - just stick with that deficit and the weight will come off :)
    Best of luck!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. This is so helpful to me. I dont feel so guilty anymore...

Amen. It's your mission. Do it your way.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Blake3693 wrote: »
    You can, but you'll feel much better as far as energy level, mood, & focus goes by eating 1500 calories worth of good food (lean meats, veggies - that sort of thing) as opposed to eating 1500 calories worth of pizza and soda lol. Nothing wrong with a slice or two here and there tho!

I agree. It's a matter of whether you wish to lose Fat, or Muscle! :smile:
  • ErinV1974
    ErinV1974 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just get discouraged when I eat a cheeseburger and then realize I'm 3/4 to my calorie goal and the day isn't half over yet. You can eat more when you choose lower-cal items - I've found that I'm gravitating to them just so I can eat more.
  • mlaccs
    mlaccs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to focus on recording EVERYTHING. If you have a bad day be honest. If you have realistic goals you will find some days you can be over and others under and it will balance. If you are always over or always under then your target goals may be the problem. And if you find you can never go off-diet then again it may be your goals that need adjusted.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    To make the number on the scale go down? Probably. To be a healthy, well nourished woman, I guess it depends on what you want to eat.

That said: I've ALWAYS found that eating a nutrient dense diet makes it EASIER to stick to my calorie goal.