Any suggestions on food for better skin?

Options
Hi everyone, do you know of any food good for the skin, and for reducing stress?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Off the top of my head... B complex vitamins for stress. And foods high in VitC, and plenty of water for healthy skin.
  • xupianpian1
    xupianpian1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Cutting out added sugars and grains cleared my skin up very well.
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Same here nvmom. It is wonderful how well my skin is starting to look.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Little to no grains worked for me...I also have a glass of warm lemon water every morning before anything else...my daughter swears by coconut oil (but she's 23, I think air works for her...lol)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Cutting added sugar and drinking more water works well for me. Oh, and using facial oil. I have very oily skin so this was counterintuitive, but it's been amazing.
    d4n17x7jblkc.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I also make my own face scrub with Almond oil and Brown sugar, makes me glooooww :smiley: I was using coconut oil and sugar, but the CO made me break out like a teenager.
  • xupianpian1
    xupianpian1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for sharing helpful tips!
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from hormonal acne my entire life. In my experience I have had the best skin when I avoid chocolate (especially dark) ... However, it is a MYTH that diet causes acne. It is a hormonal imbalance. Which, yes, can be affected by diet and food. This may be gross (it is to me), but eating liver 2x / week is said to balance your hormones.. Pau D'arco tea, relieves stress and detoxifies the body. The more stress you have, the more protein you need... Just kind of a rule of thumb. (whole grains, sea veggies, sea and soy foods, eggs and sprouts) ... Message me if you're interested in more..
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Acne is quite often a hormonal imbalance, so it may be worth speaking to a doctor about. It could also be a food allergy, though. A lot of people don't know they're lactose intolerant to some level, so I'd try cutting back on dairy and seeing if that helps. This seems to be the big one I've heard of.

For stress...I don't know about food. Exercise has become my go to. Try yoga? Or some hot tea?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Acne is quite often a hormonal imbalance, so it may be worth speaking to a doctor about. It could also be a food allergy, though. A lot of people don't know they're lactose intolerant to some level, so I'd try cutting back on dairy and seeing if that helps. This seems to be the big one I've heard of.

For stress...I don't know about food. Exercise has become my go to. Try yoga? Or some hot tea?

I think that is right. I developed adult acne around age thirty, which is probably around the time I developed insulin resistance, which may be why eating low carb (few sugars or starches) helped my skin so much.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Water, water, and water.

Oh, and I make my own facial moisturizer with about 50% rose hip oil, 50% jojoba oil, and about 10 drops of lavender oil in an amber glass bottle with a dropper. You only need to use 2-3 drops of the mixture when moisturizing. If you use oils to moisturize make sure you always cleanse your face beforehand, unless you are oil cleansing. Lavender is also great for stress. Very soothing. You can add a few (very few, like 2-3) drops to a warm bath if you would like.

I also try not to bathe/shower in overly hot water and exfoliate my skin weekly to try to avoid loose skin. I have zero idea if there is any merit to this idea but it isn't costing me anything to do it and I've seen improvement in the texture of my arms with exfoliating. So hey, I guess it's doing something.