Soy- what do you think?

Options
Awhile back I switched to soy milk. I buy an organic brand and I don't drink more than one or two cups a day. I was pondering the packaging- the plastic lining that allows the soy to be stored in a box before opening. Plastics still bug me and I like to avoid them when I can. There is nothing but, mixed messages in the studies about benefits and/or harmfulness of soy. I hesitate to open up for discussion, but what have any of you found out about soy? It seems the benefits of fermented soy are well established. But, not sure about the other products and/or the packaging.

Replies

• s_shortridge
    s_shortridge Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    but what have any of you found out about soy?
    Once upon a time, I became a dietary vegan. I switched to soy EVERYTHING. Big mistake. I developed a soy intolerance. Bloated me up, caused cystic acne. Bad, bad, bad. I switched to almond milk, but even then, the sugars were getting me. I eventually went back to meat & milk and discovered I really tolerate raw milk the best. Honestly, if you drink the soy milk, eat everything else soy in moderation.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Some articles about soy:
    https://drbenkim.com/soy-health.htm
    http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/08/06/how-soy-can-kill-you-and-save-your-life/ (the article tone is not alarmist like the title would indicate)

During the three years I lived in vegetarian communities, I overate the stuff and now can't stand the thought of it.

• runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Moderation and organic sounds like the way to go. The article by Dr. Hyman was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! Thanks kshama.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of soy. My periods were the worst they have ever been then. I have no evidence that the soy was effecting me this way but things got better when I cut back.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Only soy I like is tofu and soy sauce!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've read in several articles about how too much soy can interfere with women's natural estrogen levels which, in turn, can cause all sorts of issues.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Edamame is delicious with soy sauce. If you are using a variety of food sources soy can fit nicely into your diet without deleterious effects and provide some beneficial phytochemicals. Switch it up use soy milk one week, try rice, almond, cashew, dairy if you aren't intolerant. All carry different profiles of nutrients.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Moderation and organic sounds like the way to go. The article by Dr. Hyman was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! Thanks kshama.

My pleasure :)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The pros and cons of phytoestrogens. This is the calibre of article I trust when I'm trying to sift the wheat from the chaff.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/

My three preferred ways to eat soy are as tofu, soy sauce, and edamame. Edamame is minimally processed. Perhaps you could try growing your own.
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've just read eat meat and stop jogging, soy is toxic to humans and helps inflammatory disease as well as alzheimers
  • amberjo1986
    amberjo1986 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Doesn't milk have a lot of estrogen in it though?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    soy is toxic to humans and helps inflammatory disease as well as alzheimers

Agreed. Here's an interested history on why soy was grown in the first place any why it was never meant to be consumed by humans in the form of unfermented soy:

http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/soy/magic-bean/

The article cites sources at the very end but they look to be old (none newer than the year 2000 quoted) so the article probably hasn't been updated in a while.
  • amberjo1986
    amberjo1986 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Well good for Canada. However, dairy cows are continuously impregnated for their milk anyways. The later in the term the cow is, the more female sex hormones she has in her body. The calf is taken away from the mother after birth and either raised on a sugary formula and raised as a dairy or beef cow or sent to the slaughterhouse for veal. Modern dairy cows are milked up to 300 days a year and as a result have way more estrogen in their system, which yes, some ends up in the milk.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html

Also people should be aware that phytoestrogens are in a lot of food, not just soy. In high amounts, yeah, I could see it being harmful to someone's health. But the culprit isn't tofu or soy beans. Soy foods with the highest amounts of phytoestrogens are highly processed. This processed for of soy is found in 60% of packaged food, particularly in baby formula. If people are worried about phytoestrogens they need to worry about processed food, not tofu or soy beans.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2781234/

This article summarizes how the soy controversy started.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jul/01/anti-soya-brigade-ignore-scaremongering

We can cherry pick studies to support our positions all the live long day. There are plenty of studies to support either viewpoint. The point I want to get across is that all this soy scare mongering is WAY overblown. As long as you're not overdoing it you shouldn't have to worry about it.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is OKAY, however it can throw off your hormone balance... I recommend, making your own nut milks. My favorite is half and half: Brazil nut and almond milk. You just soak the nuts in water, overnight (in the blender) and then blend in the morning. (You don't even need to strain it, and you get all the healthy fiber and vitamins that have been stripped in processed (and packaged) non-milks...
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I don't seek out soy type foods

Too much estrogen

I don't really need much of that....

I get my soy from beef.

Rare

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I some times cook for vegetarian friends and I'll use soy mince as the rest of us don't mind it in a pie or spicy based sauce.

Other than that soy sauce in stir fry is all I use.
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It isn't anywhere as bad as people seem to think it is. People complain about the estrogen in soy but then eat dairy, which is full of estrogen because it's quite literally breast milk. Soy is a staple in many Asian cultures, which have much lower instances of many diseases (like breast cancer) than Western culture, which isn't as soy heavy but is very dairy heavy.

I mean, if you're eating literally nothing but soy, then yeah, you might get sick. But if you eat it in moderation, you'll be fine.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I can only handle it in small doses, as with dairy. I'll eat soy sauce a couple times per month with sushi, but that's it. I limit cheeses, switched from soy to almond milk.
    I also get the huge, painful flare ups of cystic acne when I over indulge and it's just not worth it to me.