Need Help With Healthy Recipes

Options
So today sept.1st is my first day for my life style change with becoming fit and eating healthy. I know there will be times where I will want to eat something that I'm not suppose to but with the motivation with my family , I know I will be strong. I post this discussion to perhaps get some ideas from you guys who are all on the same path with different recipes to make to help me loss weight but at the same time eating things that are tasty and enjoyable to make.. If you guys can let me know I would gladly appreciate it :smile: thanks a lot and remember , WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER !

Replies

• jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hey!

The first step is actually the easiest, even though most will say it's the hardest... HAHA. I only say this, because I have struggled with overeating for the last couple years and I'm trying to get back on track... Every day is a challenge, and I try not to lose sight of my goals. Day by day, is the mentality I have needed to acquire, because some days you mess up, but then after you just have to get right back on the horse...

(Feel free to add me as a friend for additional support)

I am not a big cook, so I am lacking healthy recipes. However I prepare a lot of salads 2-3 / day .. So I make sure I have in my fridge AT ALL TIMES: Hard-boiled eggs, homemade salad dressings, boiled chickpeas and kidney beans, lettuce, of course, and whatever other fixings I like ( cucumbers, cilantro, tomatoes, etc)
  • theogfrekaherself
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply and Omg yes I love salad! And I guess it seems I have a lot of shopping to do as far as clearing out my fridge and putting healthy things inside . I never had chickpeas before so I think I will try that as well. I also have trouble eating breakfast in the morning. I always miss it and I know it's the important meal of the way. What do you normally make in the morning to start your day ?
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I try to prep on Sundays for the week. I also have an issue with overeating and snacking :( I like to prep turkey meat loaf, veggies, salad. I always boil eggs. I eat them boiled with spicy mustard on top. I add eggs to my salads as well. Keep fresh fruit in the fridge and I try not to buy chips and sweets. You can also prep stir fry, egg muffins and roast vegetables such as carrots, squash, zucchini, onion, etc. Pintrest has a lot of great ideas and also instagram!

Best of Luck! you (we) can do it!!
  • theogfrekaherself
    Options
    Okay that sounds like a great idea, and yes .. Instagram I've been following a lot of meal prep pages because I realize that knowing I have something pre made for me in the fridge, that I'm not tempted to eat anything else I'm not suppose to. Thank you so much for your advice :) definitely taking notes on everything you all been telling me
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    dashingdish.com has pretty great receipes I am a memeber there and get ideas from that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Another way to go is to log the way you eat now for a week or two and use that knowledge to make changes. What do you usually have for breakfast now, or do you skip it? Do you prefer sweet over savoury? Are you getting enough fruits and vegetables?

All you need to lose weight is to be eating less than you burn every day, and logging on MFP will tell you how close you are to that.
  • theogfrekaherself
    Options
    Okay I will deff look into that website @RebeccaParmenter thanks a lot and @jgnatca yeah I do forget to eat breakfast a lot.. I have to start remembering lol it's so important but will be taking your advice thank you so much
  • theogfrekaherself
    Options
    @bmayes2014 @jadowns I commented back to you guys up top lol still trying to get the hang of MFP lol
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    @theogfrekaherself : If you try chickpeas and like them, you can also make a homemade hummus out of them. Which is great for dipping veggies or smeared on sandwiches instead of mayo--if you like/miss mayo (I'm not really a big mayo fan)--or other condiments. I would second the advice from @jgnatca . Definitely log/track your habits for a week or two without expectations for loss (but track the exercise portion too--walking the dog, classes, etc.) and get a clear understanding of what you are doing; but, you HAVE to be honest with yourself (even if you slip up, no worries, tomorrow is a new day, so try again :smile: ) Also, if you are serious about the level of commitment to cleaning out your fridge (and tossing the 'junk'), fill it back up with more veg, fruits (wonderful for sweet substitutes), and lean meats. Moreover, try a bit of adventure when you buy stuff or cook (have you checked out your local library for their selection of cook books? Amazing resource!)... I like to buy one 'new' healthy/better option thing a week or month to try. I've discovered that PB2 is delicious in shakes and soba soup is amazing (if made right). Personally, I'm more of a moderation and better options kind of gal, versus something being totally off-limits. Add me if you want :smile: Hopefully this helped a bit. Good luck and we got this.
  • Kbush1956
    Kbush1956 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the good posts and links for healthy meal prep.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    patceoh wrote: »

Yep.

I also like www.cookingwell.com, www.eatingwell.com,
    www.slenderkitchen.com and
    Www.emilybites.com

If you only check one website, go to skinnytaste. You'll find almost anything lightened up.
  • theogfrekaherself
    Options
    @voldemortisreal thank you so much and yeah I will try the hummus . I heard it was really good and I do love mayo on my sandwiches lol a cook book would be good for me to look into because I really want to learn how to makecso
  • theogfrekaherself
    Options
    @Queenmunchy @patceoh thank you all so much on your links. Will be checking them all out as we speak :)
  • lyndefisher
    lyndefisher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of chicken lately and have switched over to gluten free pastas. I have created a few of my own recipes and may husband loves chicken tacos. We don't use taco seasoning and we use shredded veggie cheese to cut down on fats and calories. He loves them. We both have lost on this program and so far have not tired of it and trying to be creative has been a fun challenge. I'll try to post some ideas. Friend me if you'd like.
  • jprobst1
    jprobst1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This was great, I did a mixture of kidney, black eyed peas and black beans. Added bay leaf.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2014/01/black-eyed-pea-chili-with-quinoa-and-corn.html

Don't skip the chipotle powder. It adds some smokey goodness. And here's the best no oil dressing I've found. So good!

http://www.food.com/recipe/dr-fuhrmans-walnut-vinaigrette-dressing-512810
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nix the mayo and condiments and instead use hummus or part of an avacado (mush it up and shmear it on). Both are full of fat but "good" fat to be consumed in moderation. If you use seasonings, you will not miss katsup etc. Others posted skinnytaste and fatfreevegan. Both I love! Also greatist.com and slenderkitchen.com

Ultimately you want a lifestyle change so make small changes over time. You are less likely to stick with it if you dump your entire kitchen and fill with lettuce overnight. Instead, slowly move away from tons of mayo, cheeses, alcohol, refined, highly processed breads etc.

Look at recipe sites and try foods (veggies and beans like lentils which are great sources of protein) you never had before or don't use regularly. Keep cut up peppers, carrots, celery and other things handy for dipping in hummus (or some type of almond butter etc). If the work is already done then it will be easier for you to choose healthy options. I cut my chip addiction down to a sometime handful by eating crunchy veggies. Look for substitutes like... crave chocolate?! Use dates as alternatives (tasty). Remember slow changes.

Good luck to ya!