The Scale While Strength Training

Options
Just curious what most of you tend to do while on your weight loss/fitness journey as I have a bit of a scale obsession. I'm looking to lose 10-15 pounds and though I have one official weigh-in per week I can't seem to stop myself from checking my progress every morning, which actually ends up sabotaging me. I've lost that amount of weight before (more like 25-30 pounds actually) while not doing much strength training but this time around am incorporating barre classes 2x per week. I just can't seem to get over my scale obsession though I know I'm gaining at least some muscle mass in exchange for the fat. Do most of you in this position rely more on the mirror or the scale? It's hard not get discouraged when not seeing a loss on the scale, but I do know that my body is starting to look better - even though I still have about 10-12 pounds I'd like to lose.

Replies

• carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I posted a similar query recently, but have a lot more to lose. Good to know that I'm not the only confused one!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    One doesn't build muscle while losing fat on a deficit.
    One can retain and strengthen existing muscle.
    As one loses fat the existing muscle becomes more apparent.

Take measurements and photos as well as weighing yourself. One may show fat loss more than the other.

Cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Daily weigh/ins helps me understand and accept the normal fluctuations of fat/water/etc. I am always looking for that next new low. It's become sort of a game and helps keep me motivated, as I've been plugging along for almost 15 months and 105 lbs lost.
  • katecampisi
    katecampisi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a scale obsession too. Its crazy. I weigh every day even though I know its silly. And yes, I look the same whether it says ive gone up or down-but when its up -like this morning its very discouraging! I know ive lost weight-all my pants are loose and tape measurements down. I try to just roll with it now! I do lots of strength training and have definately gained muscle mass. My diet is mainly protein. I just keep plodding along. And remind myself its not a race. That won't stop me weighing tonight though post gym sweat
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Use trendweight.com

Log daily...learn from the fluctuations with a disinterested interest .. They happen ...5lb fluctuations are easy

Only watch the trend line over time

(Or libra or happyscale)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    h59mh5vph5qz.jpg

tn87cc6raqvu.jpg

grbfsee27flv.jpg
  • TeeDeezy
    TeeDeezy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Daily weigh/ins helps me understand and accept the normal fluctuations of fat/water/etc. I am always looking for that next new low. It's become sort of a game and helps keep me motivated, as I've been plugging along for almost 15 months and 105 lbs lost.

This. It's fine to weigh every day, so long as you understand that your weight is going to fluctuate regardless and don't let it frustrate you. For example, this past Friday I was at 186 lbs. Had been for a couple of weeks. I didn't weigh all weekend. But, Friday night I had a lot of alcoholic drinks, and they were really salty (and really good), and they came with tortilla chips (also salty). Monday morning I weighed 189lbs. This morning...185. It happens. As long as the net calories are evening out in the end, then the overall trend will be weight loss regardless of what the scale says each morning.
  • Elisabuffy19
    Elisabuffy19 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I know people on here say you can't build muscle on a deficit and I get that but I don't lose weight as quickly when I add strength workouts to my mix, even when everything else is the same. I also do Barre classes and love the way my body looks & feels because of it but I get frustrated too when I don't see lbs coming off faster.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you don't have a particularly healthy relationship with the scale - I wouldn't weigh daily. Your weight will fluctuate so much from day-to-day. It's fine to weigh daily if you are tracking trends but otherwise, stick to your weekly weigh-in and please stop focusing on that number. There are so many variants that can affect what the scale says, it's not the most accurate form of tracking! I think you'll feel a lot better in yourself if you record your inch loss monthly. You'll surprise yourself.

Last month, I *ONLY* lost 2lbs. I felt a bit disappointed until I recorded my measurements - I'd lost a whopping 8 inches that month. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be a daily weigher then you have to understand fluctuations and why they happen. The main thing is the overall trend moving downwards. When I first introduced strength training way back, yes there was an increase by a few lbs on the scale for several days, but thats normal as the muscles hold onto water to repair.
    Stick with this, inch loss is a better way to check progress.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    OP you misunderstand what building muscle means. No one builds serious muscle on twice a week barre classes, not the way you mean it. If the scale is not moving for a few days, or a week or two, no big deal, it happens. If the scale is not moving for weeks, then you need to check again what you are eating. But, no, you are not exchanging fat for muscle.
  • xxItsViviBaby
    xxItsViviBaby Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good to know I'm not the only one who's a daily weigher :) and for the record I'm not trying to build 'serious' muscle by any means... I'm just trying to tone while losing so I'm not as jiggly. I just notice I don't tend to lose anything a day or two after class and was wondering what most of you rely on. The scale is such an easy way to mark progress and to truly know if you're reaching your ultimate goal, but then again with how much weight can fluctuate a tape measure seems more tried and true.