Savory/ non-sweet oatmeal

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
share your recipes that use oats in a non-sweet way! Whenever someone asks what to do you always get the typical cinnamon, brown sugar, PB2, whey protein, berries....etc response, but what are some recipes using it kind of in how you would use grits and shrimp! I like to sometimes have a runny egg and sriracha on my oats!(:

Replies

• jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hola! I eat oats, like brown rice. I add soy sauce, cottage cheese, spices (like curry) or Sriracha, NUTRITIONAL YEAST (for sure) or unsalted butter. I also like to eat my brown rice sweet in the mornings like cereal, with milk, butter, jam, honey, or maple syrup.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Just plain with salt, the way oatmeal was intended to be eaten!
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I went on a hike in NZ & the guides told me the Japanese tourists have their oats with shredded lettuce, a tin of tuna and a sachet of miso.. it's delicious!!!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Cheese and bacon. Mmm
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love cheesy oats! I also like adding zucchini or carrot.
  • ashiimty119
    ashiimty119 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to make it like a porridge with bits of chicken, carrots, shallots and spices add then finally add thin coconut milk..
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use to add salt and tuna to my oats until I was violently ill because my Co worker slipped some raw chicken in. It was awful.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I use to add salt and tuna to my oats until I was violently ill because my Co worker slipped some raw chicken in. It was awful.

Your coworker is an *kitten*!
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Your coworker is an *kitten*!

Yeah he was. He used to sneeze on people's sandwiches and put them back in the fridge and he once made a guy a coffee with toilet water. Needless to say when he became supervisor I promptly quit.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Halved grape/cherry tomatoes, basil, milk (instead of water), Romano, topped with runnyish yolk over-easy egg, salt and pepper. Yum!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't mess with oats but one time in my life many years ago I made steel cut oats with a hard boiled egg, shredded red cabbage, scallions, a little butter, and salt. I liked it.