New here, what happens when you eat too much protein?

Options
I've been filling out my lists and I have noticed that I eat too much protein. What does that mean and how do I not eat so much?
I look forward to making new friends and exchanging recipes.
Melissa

Replies

• mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The only negative thing that I've heard of is that you might lose hair. But, if you eat too much protein, it might just mean that your diet is not made up of enough other things. You should probably balance your diet more...less meat, more veggies and grains. You want to get enough of everything.
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    As long as it's lean healthy protein you will be fine. Protein helps build muscle and helps muscle repair itself after intense workouts.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You get healthy.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You get healthy.
    This is not necessarily true. Too much of anything is not good.
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    If you're going to go over in any area, protein is the best one. Protein (meat, eggs, cheese, veggies) takes your body longer to digest, so it makes you feel fuller longer. Carbs (anything made with flour - like bread or pasta, or with sugar) give you more of a short burst of energy but tend to put weight on you faster. You'll see a TON of ppl on this site preach "cut yer carbs". Ignore them - I do! :laugh: If you have more than 30-40 lbs to lose, start by just staying under your calorie goal & getting in a minimum of 30 mins of exercise at least 5x a week. I *wish* I was over in protein!! I'm over in bad places like carbs & sugar (which is especially bad 'cause I'm diabetic). Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If you are working out and lifting weights your body needs lean protein! I go over my protein everyday....today I'm like 30 gram over....but I work out and lift weights 6 days a week so its fine!
  • asianbeef
    asianbeef Posts: 2
    Options
    too much protein? depends. if you are working out really hard or are looking to build lean muscle while minimizing fat gains, a high protein diet may be better than a diet composed of carbs. As far as side effects, there is not anything bad associated with high protein intake except for dehydration and calcium loss which can be easily fixed by drinking more water and getting in your calcium intake.

Of course, if you're talking about an excess of 1000 calories worth of protein then you are going to gain weight as with anything else; excess calories = weight gain regardless of the macronutrient.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You get healthy.
    This is not necessarily true. Too much of anything is not good.

You have to eat an obscene amount of protein for it to be unhealthy for it. Several times what your protein goal is on MFP easily. Other than that, study after study has shown that eating high levels of protein have no negative affects on you.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Too much protien can actually cause you to go into constipation. You definetly don't want that. Google it. Some say yay, others nay. Like all things, balance is key.
  • rlelliott08
    rlelliott08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.

Although limiting protein intake is important, you should also realize that protein is essential to our bodies' normal functions. It assists in synthesizing enzymes and hormones, maintaining fluid balance, and regulating such vital functions as building antibodies against infection, blood clotting, and scar formation.

Protein is also a building block for our muscles, bones, cartilage, skin, hair, and blood. Protein-rich foods include meat, cheese, milk, fish, and eggs. For vegetarians, protein can be found in soy products such as tofu as well as in combinations of foods, such as rice or corn with beans.

Whether you are an avid strength trainer, a marathon runner, or just an average exerciser, a balanced diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, fish, and complex carbohydrates is what nutritionists recommend.
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My body doesnt tolerate concentrated protein amount in protein drinks. So I have to break up the protein over the day time. I think it woudl be different if I was eating the same amount of grams that I am drinking.