30DS and other questions

Options
joeysrib
joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
Ok, so I weigh 311, am a type 2 diabetic, and I am planning on starting the 30 day shred on Monday the 6th. Anything I should know? I figure I probably will not be able to keep up, but I am gonna give it a real try. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I think its great that you are giving it a go!
    Won't sugar coat it -its hard!
    Stay on lvl 1 as long as you need to. You will see amazing results.
  • cthorn6720
    cthorn6720 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi - I"m not familiar with the 30 day shred, but I can say I decided to try to get in shape a few months back and joined a bootcamp class. My weight was 260 lbs...not easy to do a push up and keep breathing. I haven't necessarily lost much weight yet, only 9 lbs, but i've lost 3" and my body is definetly changing. I have gained so much endurance and strength. I'm loving it. It was hard to start because I am definetly the largest person in the class, but I have gotten nothing but encouragement. And even though I'm still a big girl, I can keep up with most of the class now.

My advice is to take one day at time and look at the positivies and how good it makes you feel to be doing something.
  • kml07071
    kml07071 Posts: 29
    Options
    I had to take a break after a couple of days due to the impact on my knees with the cardio. I now substitute some of the cardio on a stationary bike. My knees were very stiff and sore so if you need to take a break don't over do it!! Good luck :-)
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My advice: DON'T GIVE UP. You'll see a dramatic increase in your endurance when you're consistent with it. The first week was hard for me; my legs were killing me and going up and down stairs was really painful. But that goes away and you'll eventually surprise yourself at how much you can accomplish!
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    i just started it on the 1st...gonna do day 3 tonight. it is a very hard workout for only 20 minutes and i have been working out for a while. they modify some of the moves and i would suggest doing the modified versions until you get better. also, you might do it with no weights in the beginning...that might make it easier to keep up with it until you build up more strength and endurance. :) good luck. it's a very good workout!! even if you can't make it through the whole workout, just do what you can and keep at it everyday, then i'm sure you will get the whole thing in no time!
  • littlered301
    littlered301 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I did the Bob's workout and it was hard, so I can imagine this one is also tough.

Go One day at a time. You will see results and it's great you want to change things up.

I do not want to preach but doing a tough workout to start may be a too much to take on. When I decided to make a change, I walked. I walked 15 min, then added 5 to 10 minutes. I followed a good eating plan and walked. I now walk one hour almost every night. I also do Curves to change things up, but mostly I walk. I have lost 20 lbs since Nov 2010. (my ticker is not since then)

One step at a time, one day at a time and you will see changes and have to buy new clothes and it's exciting. Good luck :)
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Don't worry if you need to take breaks during the workout (even if they are more than the "allowed" 5 seconds)--I've been working out for years and am relatively fit, but on day 8 of level 1, still need a couple of quick breaks in order to make it to the end. Also, Jillian does not stretch enough at the end. I would say take at least 5 full minutes to really stretch all of your muscles after the workout. This will help keep you from being TOO sore the next day. Good luck and check back on MFP if you have more questions!
    -LP