Vegetarians struggling to lose weight

Options
I've been following a 1290 calorie plan for 5 weeks and have only lost around 2 pounds. I should be losing 1.5 per week. I opened my diary to friends, any other people in the same boat want to add me and motivate each other?

I just had a physical done before I started and the Dr. didn't find any thyroid issues.

Replies

• FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Weight loss is legit as simple as calories in vs calories out. If you aren't weighing or logging your food accurately/honestly, there's a strong chance that you aren't actually eating at 1290 cals...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh all your solids? How do you calculate your calorie burns when exercising?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You're likely eating more than you think on accident. It can be hard to estimate portion sizes, people make a lot of mistakes when eyeballing or using measuring cups. If you're struggling, try using a food scale for awhile to get a better idea of what X amount of a certain food looks like.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    What about blood glucose issues? If you're insulin resistant, you're going to have a problem with carbs. As a vegetarian, I hope this is not the case because you'll have a tough time going low carb.
  • pjk431
    pjk431 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've heard a lot about the food scales j may try that. I am measuring and counting the "blt's" bites, licks, tastes. I did Weight Watchers in my 20s. but my late 30s is kicking my butt. :)

I modify the exercise calories to lower them. For an hour of kickboxing myfitnesspal gives over 600 but I only give 500. My carbs are right at 47 to 50 percent. I have lost a few inches and my legs look more toned. I just wish it was faster.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't weigh most of my food, but will be when I start running into issues. I haven't had any issues yet, but you may want to start weighing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    pjk431 wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard a lot about the food scales j may try that. I am measuring and counting the "blt's" bites, licks, tastes. I did Weight Watchers in my 20s. but my late 30s is kicking my butt. :)

I modify the exercise calories to lower them. For an hour of kickboxing myfitnesspal gives over 600 but I only give 500. My carbs are right at 47 to 50 percent. I have lost a few inches and my legs look more toned. I just wish it was faster.

You don't know how much you're eating then

Get scales

Start weighing

Your exercise calories should be cut in half, not just knock off 100

Reassess after 8 weeks you might be able to eat back more
  • cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Since others took the you should be weighing your foods, I will take you have unrealistic expectations.

You have 25 lbs to lose. You should be looking to lose about .5 lb per week (about what you are). MFP has a lower bound for women at 1200 calories, meaning that's the lowest it will recommend (even if you set it at 1.5 lb). (This might not apply if your calories aren't equal to 1200).
  • lhtbuzz123
    lhtbuzz123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian (I eat eggs & milk) with some bad weekend habits, but I'm gradually losing weight. Feel free to add me :)