No access to a gym, looking at body weight training to burn calories

Options
So in the past I was doing 3 or 4 circuits of the 7 Minute Workout, which I understand is not much of a challenge to someone with a high level of fitness, but when you're overweight by 15 pounds like I am, it feels like a challenge.
Has anyone had any success with using body weight training to burn fat? There is no gym, apart from one that is open at inconvenient hours close to where I live.

Replies

• TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of suspension training? There's a really expensive one out there [TRX], but this is supposed to be good and it's $40. http://www.amazon.com/WOSS-AttacK-Trainer-Made-USA/dp/B00K3ZF03Y
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Nerd fitness Body Weight exercises
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Body weight training can be extremely effective. Check out 12 minute athlete, you are your own gym and convict conditioning. I go to a gym but my work outs often include body weight exercises and I do them at home when I can't go - burpees, plyo push ups, squat jumps etc.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    Have you heard of suspension training? There's a really expensive one out there [TRX], but this is supposed to be good and it's $40. http://www.amazon.com/WOSS-AttacK-Trainer-Made-USA/dp/B00K3ZF03Y

+1 Time efficient, space efficient and very effective.
  • hexagonson
    hexagonson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »

I will certainly take a look at your suggestion, hopefully that is available in Germany :smile:
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    In your situation, dedication and effort are more important than equipment. You should be able to find a park/playground with a bar for pullups and parallel bars for dips, or get a cheap used power tower for at home. I think pullups are one of the best back exercises and dips one of the best chest and triceps exercises. Handstand pushups against a wall are good for shoulders. Burpees are good for conditioning, explosiveness and coordination. You can work your legs by super setting things like step ups or single leg squats with high-rep bodyweight squats. Add weight by taking a backpack and filling it with heavy stuff. You can use it to add weight to pullups dips, pushups, and leg exercises. This can be a good resistance training program without weights. If you push yourself hard and are consistent you will get stronger and leaner if your diet is right. You can build muscle too with the correct diet.
  • hexagonson
    hexagonson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ryanflebbe wrote: »
    If you push yourself hard and are consistent you will get stronger and leaner if your diet is right. You can build muscle too with the correct diet.

Great advice, thanks.

How do I measure the calories burned through exercise without something like a Fitbit or Apple Watch?

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym is a great body weight program. Check it out.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym is a great body weight program. Check it out.

This. And Convict Conditioning.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ryanflebbe wrote: »
    In your situation, dedication and effort are more important than equipment. You should be able to find a park/playground with a bar for pullups and parallel bars for dips, or get a cheap used power tower for at home. I think pullups are one of the best back exercises and dips one of the best chest and triceps exercises. Handstand pushups against a wall are good for shoulders. Burpees are good for conditioning, explosiveness and coordination. You can work your legs by super setting things like step ups or single leg squats with high-rep bodyweight squats. Add weight by taking a backpack and filling it with heavy stuff. You can use it to add weight to pullups dips, pushups, and leg exercises. This can be a good resistance training program without weights. If you push yourself hard and are consistent you will get stronger and leaner if your diet is right. You can build muscle too with the correct diet.

+1 Good advise. Low cost. You can do these anytime of the day ,w/o driving to the gym.
    Good Luck.