Eat less - spend more?

Options
Is your weekly food spend more or less now that you are on a weight loss journey?

I am finding that I still spend the same as before I started with MFP. What I save on cake, crisps, frozen chips I spend on fruit.

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, it's a LOT more! I think because I'm on a deficit, I tend to buy more healthy food than I actually need - probably because I shop when hungry, which is a BAD idea!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I eat out less, so there's savings there. But I eat more of the same items more frequently, so I buy more in large quantities and save a bit that way. So it evens out.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I spend about the same amount. I buy the same priced stuff, just lower calorie options. So if I get a sandwich from the shop, where I used to get an all day breakfast sandwich, I now get a prawn sandwich for half the calories, but the same price. Where I would have gotten a sausage and mash microwave meal, I now get a fish pie one, again half the calories but the same price as it's in the same range.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm spending more because food prices have generally gone up.

I've been getting strawberries for less than a dollar a pound, so fruit cost isn't the issue for us.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    We spend 42% less on food. In part, we changed where we shopped, but also how we shopped. We buy meat and anything I can freeze in bulk. Even adding the extra expenses connected to bulk buys, it's still 42% less.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    unfortunately nutritionally dense food is expensive. Cheap snacks, junk food is not!
    Sucks but a small price to pay so to speak.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    unfortunately nutritionally dense food is expensive. Cheap snacks, junk food is not!

I have always bought fresh meat and fish so it's not costing me any more now.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I think it's about the same. I don't have exact numbers though. I do eat less because of portion control, but some of the things I'm eating are more expensive.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    More, but only because my fiance moved in with me, so I have 300 extra pounds to feed...
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Nuts
    Seeds
    Bananas
    Dried fruit
    Apples
    Avocado
    Tomato paste
    Frozen spinach
    Frozen broccoli
    Onion
    Potato
    Lentil
    Navy beans
    Whole milk with D
    Swiss cheese
    Eggs
    Chicken liver
    TVP
    Wheat germ
    Ground turkey
    Tuna
    Ezekiel bread

I've found these nutritionally dense foods to be an exceptional bargain in my area.
  • mlaccs
    mlaccs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Less eating out = savings. Healthier food = costs more. Seems like some kind of even balance. The "it costs more to eat well" argument falls apart when we spend $5 for fast food and could buy a lot of fruit and veggies with water for the same money and have a healthier lunch. But I like making excuses and lying to myself.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    On average less, since I don't go out to eat/order in as much. Not a huge difference, though -- I know I could easily spend less if I wanted.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm spending a lot less, but I don't buy most produce at the grocery store. Instead, I visit shops that exclusively sell produce, where prices are substantially lower and quantities higher. I've had to learn how to not over-buy, and better ways to store stuff. It took me a couple of weeks to get a handle on that. Overall, it's been about 40% less.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    More, but only because my fiance moved in with me, so I have 300 extra pounds to feed...

haha!