daily sugar intake

Options
i may have missed a previous post. my mfp sugar limit daily is 66g. its 11am and i've already ate some healthy planters mixed nuts and an apple and that's half of the sugar limit for the day. should i feel bad when i go over 66g for the day? most days i dont exceed.

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't care if you went over your sugar goal every day if you were losing weight.

But, there is absolutely no reason to feel bad if most days you are under 66g of sugar and you go over on a few days. One day doesn't matter, the recent average does.
  • LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm doomed to go over on my sugar every day LOL. But I don't mind as long as I'm within my calorie goal
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I also have trouble with my sugar limit of 83 grams. 40g are used in my morning Orange Juice (20.8g) and Banana (19).
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar goal default is notoriously low and is based on the RDA for 'added' sugars.

Most people suggest turning it off and not even tracking it, unless you have a medical reason (diabetes, etc) for doing so.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I only worry about added sugar. Sugars that occur naturally in fruit and dairy don't worry me. It's the sugar from like the twinkies and stuff that I'm concerned with.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about not worrying about it unless you have a medical reason to do so (and especially not if it's just one day), but there shouldn't be any sugar in nuts and not anywhere near 33 g in an apple, so I'd be concerned about whether you are using accurate entries.
  • saucesofit
    saucesofit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb and, as long as you have no medical reasons to avoid it as listed above, your body treats it as such. Ultimately it's calories in vs calories out - the sugar doesn't really matter.

That being said, complex carb items (sugar is a simple carbohydrate source) tend to help people feel more satiated generally which is helpful for some when losing weight. But really that's a personal thing as well. As long as you're comfortable it's totally fine to have the sugary carbs.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have had much success in limiting my sugars by making fruit smoothies ( strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in different combos). 2X a day. My problem is limiting carbs. GAWD! They are everywhere!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Stick with your deficit and you'll lose weight. Don't worry about the finer details too much :)
  • wayne206
    wayne206 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thanks mfp and members. the reason I'm on a diet, my doc said sugar in lab tests was borderline high on being diabetic. in august, at 220lbs, my sugar was higher, so i asked for another chance instead of medicine. i have until 11-9 to improve. no mt.dews. just 8c water and 2c coffee. today: 206, joined mfp and logging food, excercise, walking and riding bike. this site is a big help. i want to weigh 180 when i go back and it is challeging.
    i'm a 64yr old male. my sciatic nerve have kept me from walking for 7yrs. it does not bother me anymore so far. thx all

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss so far--that's wonderful.
  • Janetteg82
    Janetteg82 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

New to this site and wanted to know if anyone has tried the BBG Kayla Itsine program? Also, my goals aren't necessarily to lose weight but to get strong and have abs. In terms of sugar, I normally eat just 1-2 fruits per day, no refined sugar, no bread or rice (occasionally I will indulge). However, my issue is alcohol. I'd say I drink wine about 4-5 times a week (moderately). Will this impede my progress significantly?
  • sydsgaga
    sydsgaga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    wayne206 wrote: »
    i may have missed a previous post. my mfp sugar limit daily is 66g. its 11am and i've already ate some healthy planters mixed nuts and an apple and that's half of the sugar limit for the day. should i feel bad when i go over 66g for the day? most days i dont exceed.
    saucesofit wrote: »
    Sugar is a carb and, as long as you have no medical reasons to avoid it as listed above, your body treats it as such. Ultimately it's calories in vs calories out - the sugar doesn't really matter.

That being said, complex carb items (sugar is a simple carbohydrate source) tend to help people feel more satiated generally which is helpful for some when losing weight. But really that's a personal thing as well. As long as you're comfortable it's totally fine to have the sugary carbs.

• sydsgaga
    sydsgaga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have just been diagnosed with diabetes. My a1c is 6.5 which is just over the line. I'm trying to watch my carbs and sugar. Does anyone know what is a safe amount of carbs and sugar to injest daily or how I can find out?
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    sydsgaga wrote: »
    I have just been diagnosed with diabetes. My a1c is 6.5 which is just over the line. I'm trying to watch my carbs and sugar. Does anyone know what is a safe amount of carbs and sugar to injest daily or how I can find out?

Your Dr. Should be able to refer you to a diabetic nutritionist/dietitian (I think there is a difference between the two, but don't know what) who could give you more info. My mom was diagnosed about 10 years ago and was told to do 45 carbs per meal. This might change depending on your age, sex, weight - I don't know. She is 5'4" and 79 yo. She has kept her blood sugar in good control all these years with diet and exercise. No mess for diabetes.

I got a pre diabetic diagnosis last year with an a1c of 5.9 this year it was at 6.0, but I worked on losing weight and walking and just got a retest after 3 months and it is now a 5.7, so just barely pre-diabetic. My Dr. Wasn't sure the insurance would cover diabetic counseling unless/until I was actually diabetic. I'm trying to see if they will because I'd like to stave off diabetes as long as possible.
  • wayne206
    Options
    Owlfan88 wrote: »
    sydsgaga wrote: »

Your Dr. Should be able to refer you to a diabetic nutritionist/dietitian (I think there is a difference between the two, but don't know what) who could give you more info. My mom was diagnosed about 10 years ago and was told to do 45 carbs per meal. This might change depending on your age, sex, weight - I don't know. She is 5'4" and 79 yo. She has kept her blood sugar in good control all these years with diet and exercise. No mess for diabetes.

I got a pre diabetic diagnosis last year with an a1c of 5.9 this year it was at 6.0, but I worked on losing weight and walking and just got a retest after 3 months and it is now a 5.7, so just barely pre-diabetic. My Dr. Wasn't sure the insurance would cover diabetic counseling unless/until I was actually diabetic. I'm trying to see if they will because I'd like to stave off diabetes as long as possible.

• wayne206
    Options
    that's my problem. not sure what my 2digit # was but i think 120 was borderline diabetic 1 ??. i've been there for a few visits but last time was over so i want to lose weight and excercise instead of taking meds for that.
  • wayne206
    Options
    oops! messed up on combining post w/ mine
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have had much success in limiting my sugars by making fruit smoothies ( strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in different combos). 2X a day. My problem is limiting carbs. GAWD! They are everywhere!

...What? Wouldn't fruit smoothies contain, like... a whole load of sugar? Because there's sugar in fruit? The sugar in fruit and added sugar are processed by the body in the same way. Neither are necessarily bad.
  • wayne206
    Options
    on 9/15, my A1C was6.8. 11/15, was 6.5. 5/16, was 6.4. ( from Dr's visits). Dr said that was better but also to count carbs. My mfp allows me 179 daily carbs. I usually do 100-140 daily. On 9/15, I weighed 221lbs. On 5/16, I weighed 196lbs. I'm working on it and do feel much better. Thanx everyone for the input.