Giving up alcohol - What to drink instead? Especially socially

Options
I'm attempting to cut out alcohol from my life, any ideas on what else to drink at home? At bars? At dinner out?

I hate tonic water/soda water, and I don't drink pop.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    plain water? coffee? tea? milk?

I mean surely you must like SOMETHING right?

Drink that.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like water with a slice of lemon or lime or a splash of grenadine. Unsweetened iced tea is also good.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I ask for my non-alcoholic drink to be in a wine glass. That way it looks like you are drinking.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I like water with a slice of lemon or lime or a splash of grenadine. Unsweetened iced tea is also good.

There's your answer.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Iced tea.

I am curious--do you normally drink alcohol for all liquid intake?
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I only drink 2 liquid things, coffee and water. Occasionally wine at home but I don't really count that. I drink water everywhere I go.

Is it the calories in alcohol you're worried about?
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Juice, j2o, they usually have mixers such as lime or blackcurrant (in uk pubs anyways) i have never drunk a lot of alcohol my go to is usually diet coke with a slice of lemon or lime but i will have a j2o of I'm sick off fizz but they are quite calorific so i limit it to one. You can always ask for tap water which at least in the uk (i don't know where you are from so no offence) is free, which would make a cheap night out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    If I'm out and not drinking I will have water or tea.
  • Lala478910
    Lala478910 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Variety of reasons... I drink too much so need to at least cut back, empty calories, bad habit, etc... I drink water all day so I'm bored of it...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a drink in 2 years and it's never been a problem. I just have water or an iced tea.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Virgin anything. Let the bartender know you are driving and ask for suggestions.

Mio in water at home.

You've pretty well exed out most of the other alternatives except for iced tea.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I drink water. I don't need alcohol to have a good time. It screws up my training the next day, I get tipsy from just a little alcohol now, and I prefer to eat my cals.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    There are non-alcoholic beers and wines you can try.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Non alcoholic beers have a trace of alcohol in them. So just be aware.
  • 15feb
    15feb Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do you have to give up wine if you have count it in your calories or the day?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    15feb wrote: »

You don't have to give up anything if it fits in your calorie budget. However, it's far easier for me to eat at a calorie deficit when I don't have empty calorie things like alcohol, which also stimulate my appetite and when I overindulge, lead to a carb craving the next day.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    15feb wrote: »

You don't have to give up anything if it fits in your calorie budget. However, it's far easier for me to eat at a calorie deficit when I don't have empty calorie things like alcohol, which also stimulate my appetite and when I overindulge, lead to a carb craving the next day.

+1
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy wine. On the nights that I don't drink, I like something I can sip and enjoy like herbal tea or decaf coffee. Sometimes I will make an iced beverage with soda water and a splash of juice. Sounds so exciting right?