Need Fiber. Help?

Working on losing body fat and so I'm trying to cut back on sugar and trying to stay within the limits myfitnesspal suggested for me. Only problem is I tend to find myself about 10-14 grams short on fiber a day. I have some oatmeal in the morning along with yogurt and half a peach which is some fiber, broccoli and carrots with my lunch, almonds as a snack and occasionally low sugar granola. Any other suggestions? I guess it doesn't really help that I'm a picky eater either. =/

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    You can look at my diary. My fiber is usually too high. The Quest bar usually does it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Kellogg's Bran Buds cereal, fiber gourmet pasta and beans are my best sources.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Cutting back on sugar won't help you lose body fat. Only less calories will do that, regardless of where the calories come from.
    I second quest bars.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    I put Benefiber in my hot beverages. Two teaspoons is only 15 calories.
  • Ground flax seed (looks like flour, find it in the flour section) is amazing. Blends well into oatmeal or smoothies and has a slightly nutty taste. It's 70 cals for 2 tbs. I take it with breakfast and dinner and easily reach my fiber goal! (Also no bloating or gas like I get with Fiber One bars or broccoli!) :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Not all your MFP entries may be complete in the fiber column. I get highly suspicious when natural foods don't get the "this food is high in fiber" sticker, but a manufactured item does.

When adding fiber, do it slowly so your body has time to adapt. There are two types of fiber; soluble and insoluble. I find they behave differently in my gut. I work to get both.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/insoluble-soluble-fiber
  • mollie_e
    mollie_e Posts: 6 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    You can look at my diary. My fiber is usually too high. The Quest bar usually does it.

I read some of your diary and was wondering how you prepared or ate the shirataki noodles? I have tried to make them many times and they are hard to get their taste down. I love zukinni and spaghetti squash.
  • looneymom
    looneymom Posts: 39 Member
    I have the same issue I did a cleanse to help clean me out last night...just keep drinking water and get your fiber where you can.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Pinto beans ,black beans and i like fiber one bars
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    broccoli:

The digestive support provided by broccoli falls into two basic categories: fiber support, and ITC (isothiocyanate) support. At approximately 1 gram of dietary fiber for every 10 calories, you don't have to eat much broccoli to get a large amount of your daily requirement! For 100 calories—only 5% of a 2,000-calorie diet—you get about 10 grams of fiber, or 40% of the Daily Value (DV). And, 250 calories of broccoli (about 12% of a 2,000-calorie diet) will give you the full daily requirement for this important nutrient! Few components of food support our digestive system as well as fiber. The speed that food travels through us, the consistency of food as it moves through our intestine, and bacterial populations in our intestine are all supported as well as regulated by dietary fiber.
    from http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=9
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    ixgirli wrote: »
    Working on losing body fat and so I'm trying to cut back on sugar and trying to stay within the limits myfitnesspal suggested for me. Only problem is I tend to find myself about 10-14 grams short on fiber a day. I have some oatmeal in the morning along with yogurt and half a peach which is some fiber, broccoli and carrots with my lunch, almonds as a snack and occasionally low sugar granola. Any other suggestions? I guess it doesn't really help that I'm a picky eater either. =/

Whole grains, fruits, veggies, and beans. Add fiber gradually or you will be uncomfortable.

Kashi cereals (they make a granola) often have decent fiber counts. I like Go Lean (original).....it's not a granola, I stir that into my yogurt (original Fiber One is good too).

Some cereals and yogurts are adding fiber. This added fiber is often inulin (or chicory root). Some people can handle this....some can't. The Kashi granola, flavored Fiber One cereals, Fiber One bars (aka fart bars) and Chobani 100....all have chicory root. Test this slowly.
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Your diary isn't open, so I can't see what you're eating. But for reals, if you're not getting enough fiber, you're not eating enough plants. That's the only source of fiber. Eat your veggies. A medium sized apple all by itself has 4 grams of fiber. Beans and nuts are amazing, but they're also going to be more calorie dense. If you want fiber without packing in the calories, it's veg veg veg. Eat more than just some broccoli and carrots with your lunch. Snack on an apple or two throughout the day. Celery with peanut butter is my favorite snack of all time. Add some flaxseed meal into your oatmeal in the morning.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Looks like I get a little fiber with each meal and it adds up to at least 25 on the days I have smoothies, which include peanut butter, bananas, chia seeds, and flaxseed meal. I also get fiber from other fruit, veggies, grains, and legumes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I get plenty just from eating lots of vegetables, some whole grains, some avocado, and berries (and other fruits).

That said, the days I get lots of extra are days I eat legumes -- they are a fabulous source.
  • Y_A_F_A
    Y_A_F_A Posts: 11 Member
    edited September 2015
    I eat Fiber One Bran Cereal most days - 50 g = 23g fiber
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    Chia seeds
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    anetap2000 wrote: »
    Chia seeds

This! Chia seeds are a great source of fiber.