What is your fiber goal (grams) and how do you meet it?

I'm shooting for 25 grams of fiber a day right now and barely making it. I confess I eat one of those Fiber One bars a day to help get there. I know plenty of fresh foods have fiber, but this fits into my hectic schedule.

I'd love to hear how others do it.

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    View my diary. I'm not perfect, but I get there often.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    My goal is 45g. Sometimes I meet it, sometimes I don't, sometimes I exceed it.

My biggest sources of fiber are Bran Buds cereal (I like it in yogurt parfaits), Fiber Gourmet pasta, beans and the rest comes mostly from fruits and vegetables. Pears are in season now and are a pretty good source of fiber.
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Try adding chia seeds , flax seeds to oatmeal in the morning , soy and linseed bread, fruit , pears are good , apples mango. Sweet potato , beans and lentils or chickpeas . I aim for around 25 to 30 grams a day and calorie allowance is around 1400, I often hit my goal.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    I usually hit 40-50 grams. Chia seeds are packed with fiber. I add 2 tblspns to greek yogurt. You can add a small amount of lentils or beans to anything. I eat 2 servings of frozen blueberries as dessert most nights (plenty of fiber). Avocados have a lot of fiber. Cruciferous veggies; broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, are good sources of fiber too. Nuts and seeds can be added to pretty much anything too.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    peruse my open diary at will.
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    I usually get 30-40 grams of fiber a day.

Eat plants. That's where your fiber is. Just having an apple gives you 4g of fiber. Beans are awesome for fiber. So are nuts. If you eat oatmeal, cereal, or smoothies, toss a tablespoon or two of flaxseed meal into it.

An easy thing to do is have a green smoothie in the day. 2 cups of greens, a banana, 2 cups frozen fruit, 2 tbsp flaxseed meal, 1.5 cup almond milk. Add 1/4 cup dry oats for additional fiber. This will usually give you 13-15g of fiber in one go!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Fiber capsules from Costco.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I try to keep it to 25, but often end up in 30's and 40's. I eat fiberone cereal (the original one), typically beans or soy products, and sometimes whole grain breads/pasta.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    I usually hit between 40-50 daily. Feel free to check out my diary. I eat fruits and veggies every day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Looks like I get a little fiber with each meal and it adds up to 25 most days - fruits, veggies, chia seeds, flaxseed meal, grains, legumes.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    I find at least 25 helps things move along for me, but I usually go over. I eat lots of green smoothies, fruits and use Benefiber in my tea.
  • Y_A_F_A
    Y_A_F_A Posts: 11 Member
    I get a lot of mine from Fiber One Bran Cereal - 50 g = 23g
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    25 to 38 grams per day is what I often see as a healthy range.

Avocados, broccoli, whole grains, legumes, beans, Brussels sprouts, or any kind of high ruffage vegetable is usually high in fiber.

If you can't stomach high fiber foods, look into pysllium husks. The capsule form is easier to manage than the powdered form. Capsules might be pricier, but mixing the powder in water creates a jello-like texture and it's very easy to get repulsed by the routine of drinking it everyday.