Basic maintaining question ?

Options
i went down from 125 to 105 by working out 6 days a week/eating crazy healthy..I got a new job & I can't workout as much probably like 5 days a week but I'm scared I'm gonna gain weight back ! Since I'm at the weight I wanna be can I relax a little without gaining ?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    How tall are you OP?

Your TDEE is based on your activity level, so if your activity level drops-so do your maintenance calories.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't eat too much, you won't gain weight. Working out makes it easier not to eat too much, but it isn't required. Most people who are successful at maintenance work out about seven hours per week, but some don't work out at all.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I doubt cutting workouts from 6 to 5 per week is going to have a huge impact. I weigh the same as you and have not had any trouble maintaining with 5-6 exercise days/week. And I eat waaay more than you do!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    brynnsmom wrote: »
    I doubt cutting workouts from 6 to 5 per week is going to have a huge impact. I weigh the same as you and have not had any trouble maintaining with 5-6 exercise days/week. And I eat waaay more than you do!

Agreed
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Have you reset your calorie goal to maintenance?

That will give you your new goal. Eat to that plus 50-75% of your exercise calories ( or however many you ate back before)

You may find it easier to work out your daily intake by TDEE. Iifym.com. This method includes your exercise calories, and spreads them over the week.

If your new goal is much higher than your losing goal increase your daily cals by 50-100 each week to help in the adjustment.

Sometimes it can take a bit of playing around before you find the right number.

Cheers, h.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of work you're doing too. If you're on your feet all day you'll be burning energy and can probably eat the same amount. If you just got a desk job, then maybe cut back.
    Just watch your weight during the transition and if it starts to creep up, you're eating more than you're burning and vice versa.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    i went down from 125 to 105 by working out 6 days a week/eating crazy healthy..I got a new job & I can't workout as much probably like 5 days a week but I'm scared I'm gonna gain weight back ! Since I'm at the weight I wanna be can I relax a little without gaining ?

You look pretty thin in your profile picture, and your ticker says you are trying to lose a few more pounds. What are your stats?
  • neekmichelle922
    neekmichelle922 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

You look pretty thin in your profile picture, and your ticker says you are trying to lose a few more pounds. What are your stats?

I'm 20 5'3 105lbs but I wanna be like 102 & maintain so just like 3 lbs more I know it's small but I'm not comfortable where I am yet ;(
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I'm 20 5'3 105lbs but I wanna be like 102 & maintain so just like 3 lbs more I know it's small but I'm not comfortable where I am yet ;(

You are already underweight for your height. Perhaps you could find someone to talk to if you are having body image issues.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Has anyone bothered to take a look at her diary? OP, I mean this with all sincerity..... You need to actually eat more than fruit and smoothies with an occasional spoon of peanut butter to reach minimum nutrition for your body, and please, please eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. You aren't even reaching 1000 calories a day!! I agree with arditarose that in this instance you may need to talk to someone.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Has anyone bothered to take a look at her diary?
    Wow,....what she eats in one day - i could consume just for Lunch!
    Very worrying.

• neekmichelle922
    Options
    Has anyone bothered to take a look at her diary? OP, I mean this with all sincerity..... You need to actually eat more than fruit and smoothies with an occasional spoon of peanut butter to reach minimum nutrition for your body, and please, please eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. You aren't even reaching 1000 calories a day!! I agree with arditarose that in this instance you may need to talk to someone.

I know you're very right :( I'm a vegetarian close to vegan since I don't consume cheese/eggs..I work long hours and I'm just so picky ! I really do need to find time to eat more..
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    No, it's more than just finding time.

You have a mental game that is going on that is making that excuse easier to handle.

You have a fear of food and weight.

For instance - please don't have a weight goal number - you better have a range for all the totally valid reasons for water weight fluctuations.

Or you are going to drive yourself batty thinking a 1-2 lb gain means you must change something in your eating/exercise habits.

If you lost the weight eating that little, sadly your maintenance ain't going to be much more, and it'll require that level of workouts.

Hope you don't get sick or injured and can't exercise.
  • neekmichelle922
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    No, it's more than just finding time.

You have a mental game that is going on that is making that excuse easier to handle.

You have a fear of food and weight.

For instance - please don't have a weight goal number - you better have a range for all the totally valid reasons for water weight fluctuations.

Or you are going to drive yourself batty thinking a 1-2 lb gain means you must change something in your eating/exercise habits.

If you lost the weight eating that little, sadly your maintenance ain't going to be much more, and it'll require that level of workouts.

Hope you don't get sick or injured and can't exercise.

Same

• musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out. The days you don't work out, eat a little less and you will be fine.