Juicing

Options
Hi guys.

I would love some tasty juicing recipes. So far I have made apple juice and orange juice. I haven't been very adventurous yet!

Are the calories the same whether the food is eaten whole or juiced?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    kindrabbit wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I would love some tasty juicing recipes. So far I have made apple juice and orange juice. I haven't been very adventurous yet!

Are the calories the same whether the food is eaten whole or juiced?

I don't juice, so I can't help you on recipes.

But no, the calories would not be the same, as you are not ingesting any of the fibrous material of whatever it is you're juicing. For some, that's a major drawback (no fiber, and a lot less 'bulk' for the amount of calories in juice than if you ate the entire fruit).
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I like peach,apple,celery,lemons just slice the peel off the lemon. This is way better for you vs Gatorade has the electrolytes you need
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    OP: Are you open to considering whether juicing may or may not help you with your goals?
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    green: spinach, cukes, apple
    orange: ginger, carrots, oranges or apples.
  • myheartsabattleground
    Options
    Juicing is for the weak. Nutrininja is where the party is !
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    OP: Are you open to considering whether juicing may or may not help you with your goals?

Not really. I just got given a juicer so thought I'd make some juice. I haven't put much thought into it beyond that! The only concern is that I currently drink mostly water or green/fruit tea and don't want to start drinking a lot of calories. My daughter wants to juice everything in sight. I washed the damn thing about 6 times today already
  • kindrabbit
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    I like peach,apple,celery,lemons just slice the peel off the lemon. This is way better for you vs Gatorade has the electrolytes you need

Would you drink this like a pre workout? Sounds yummy.
  • kindrabbit
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kindrabbit wrote: »

Not really. I just got given a juicer so thought I'd make some juice. I haven't put much thought into it beyond that! The only concern is that I currently drink mostly water or green/fruit tea and don't want to start drinking a lot of calories. My daughter wants to juice everything in sight. I washed the damn thing about 6 times today already

Sorry, just read your comment again. Yes, I am open to all advice. Lol. I have no pre conceived opinion on juicing. I understand some people rave about it and others think it's a waste of good fruit and veg.

My goal is recomp at this point so I'm trying to maintain my weight. I'm eating around 1800 calories a day + exercise. I'm keeping the protein up as best I can and watching my fat intake. Carbs fall wherever depending on how hungry I am! I don't want to 'waste' calories on a drink unless it's going to have some benefit but also it's nice to drink something other than water sometimes. A friend gave me the juicer so it's not like I'm committed to it.

I saw an interesting recipe with sweet potatoes, almonds and coconut water (among other things) that I thought looked interesting but it was a lot of calories for a drink, probably the same as my protein powder but with less protein.
    Hmmm. I'm not really selling the idea to myself!