Weight Loss surgery

Options
I am going to be having surgery probably sometime in January and I was wondering if there was anyone on here that has had anything like this done, how they are doing, things like that. This was not an easy decision to have to make. I hope that I am posting this in the correct spot.

Replies

• psucato
    psucato Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was going to get it two but i have done so well on just the diet i have deiced for now not to. It is not a fix all you will still need to change unhealthy habits. IF you still over eat or eat the wrong stuff things can go relay bad what prep have you done. I known for me i had to stick on a 1200cal 20 carb diet and workout for at least 30 min a day.
  • psucato
    psucato Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Feel to pm me if you want or to add me
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am considering it. I went to an information session with the surgeon a few weeks ago and have an appointment with my GP this month. I have to follow a doctor supervised diet for 6 months before insurance will approve it. Do you have a waiting period? I barely qualify at my current weight so while I plan to follow the six month diet, I'm worried I'll lose so much I won't quality anymore.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Try this... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

I had RNY January 19th. You're welcome to ask me pretty much anything.
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    <-- Part of the "I lost so much following the sixth-month diet that I didn't qualify anymore" club.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Losing is good. Losing without surgery is better. It's not fast without surgery, but I'll tell you... fast ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Fast is painful and permanent and dangerous. Fast is expensive, both the surgery and afterwards. Fast means my skin is disgusting, my nails won't grow, and 70% of my hair fell out. Fast means some days are still filled with pain 8mo later and they might always exist. Fast means a bite or two of my grandson's birthday cake could send me into a 3-hour bout of vomiting and diarrhea that will likely land me in the hospital. I wish I'd gotten adequate results pre-surgery. While I'm glad I had WLS, otherwise I might just be dead by now, I wish I could have avoided it.

MFP is a great tool and you're going to use it after surgery. Might as well start now and see if you're lucky enough to do this without surgery, because *that* is the goal group in which to be.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    Losing is good. Losing without surgery is better. It's not fast without surgery, but I'll tell you... fast ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Fast is painful and permanent and dangerous. Fast is expensive, both the surgery and afterwards. Fast means my skin is disgusting, my nails won't grow, and 70% of my hair fell out. Fast means some days are still filled with pain 8mo later and they might always exist. Fast means a bite or two of my grandson's birthday cake could send me into a 3-hour bout of vomiting and diarrhea that will likely land me in the hospital. I wish I'd gotten adequate results pre-surgery. While I'm glad I had WLS, otherwise I might just be dead by now, I wish I could have avoided it.

MFP is a great tool and you're going to use it after surgery. Might as well start now and see if you're lucky enough to do this without surgery, because *that* is the goal group in which to be.

^^ that. My mom had gastric bypass when I was 8, every few months for over a decade I would have doctor's tell me she wasn't going to make it and to tell her I love her before it's too late. I was 8 and had to explain to my 4 year old brother that we had to let mommy know we love her because she might have to go to heaven that night. She threw up every single meal for 13 years. She has lung damage and diminished breathing capabilities and heart damage from throwing up. The stomach acid almost dissolved her throat. The lack of oxygen affected her brain, she doesn't remember parts of my childhood and randomly passes out now. She was obese before but barely and could've lost through hard work but chose the "easier" option. It destroyed her life and she can't work anymore. Through some miracle she has been improving the last two years and has been hospital free, she's still overweight but only throws up once every day or two now. I know many people have the surgery and don't suffer these effects but is it really worth the gamble? Do you really want to risk having to go through what my mom did/does? I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    onematch wrote: »
    I am considering it. I went to an information session with the surgeon a few weeks ago and have an appointment with my GP this month. I have to follow a doctor supervised diet for 6 months before insurance will approve it. Do you have a waiting period? I barely qualify at my current weight so while I plan to follow the six month diet, I'm worried I'll lose so much I won't quality anymore.

Surely that is a good thing and should be your goal anyway.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    onematch wrote: »

Surely that is a good thing and should be your goal anyway.

Agreed.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »

^Definitely keep this stuff in mind, OP. I know 3 people in my immediate circle of family/friends, and they've all had pretty gnarly complications. One was re-operated on 6 times due to hernias and bowel problems. One is receiving regular iron infusions and blood transfusions due to malabsorption. The other is currently hospitalized and on a clear liquid diet. I don't know exactly what her problem is, but I'm sure it isn't anything awesome.

All that said, anyone who accuses WLS patients of "taking the easy way out" ought to be punched in the head.
  • Chelsea830
    Chelsea830 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your feed back! I know I don't have to do this, but I want people to know that I don't see this as an easy way out. The decision to do this was one of the hardest things that I have had to do. I admire everyone who was able to do it on their own! I have tried many things and I truly feel like this is the best thing that I can do for myself and my family.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    RNY here, just over a year ago. I did not suffer any major complications and I am no longer on medication for cholesterol, diabetes, or high blood pressure. Most gloriously of all, I got my mobility back. I am more physically active today than I've ever been.
  • LisaMc0315
    LisaMc0315 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve surgery in november. had been down 97 lbs by end of june. my hubz passed away and my whole world blew up. got off track, gained 9 lbs back. starting to get myself together. i have not gotten sick from anything i eat, but i need to just stop and do the right things. loved that i had this surgery. need to work it for it to work!
  • bbarnes870
    bbarnes870 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The sleeve is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I'm not loosing weight much faster than I was before but for some reason the doctors can't explain, within 2 weeks of the surgery I was off all my diabetes and blood pressure medication. I have had no complications and can eat anything I want. It's not the easy way out but when the weight is off the smaller stomach will help keep it off.
  • mcclelland0484
    mcclelland0484 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My mother had a gastric bypass 9 years ago. She lost an amazing amount of weight. She has gained about half of it back. She now has heart problems. The gastric bypass really affects her available treatments for her heart. I was told by a doctor that I needed to start bp medicine, cholesterol Medicine, and medicine for diabetes. I was a hundred and 140 lbs over weight. I talked to my doctor about the diet associated with Gastic bypass. Why can't I do the diet without the surgery? 1000-1200 calories a day, low carb, and lots of water. I did this with an exercise plan that consisted of doing whatever I wanted at the gym for 45mins as long as I stayed busy. I went from 364 to 220 starting August 1st and ending Jan 15. My blood work now comes back perfect. No meds. Gastric surgeries have some severe side effects, long term complications and a very high failure rate. Don't worry about losing to much weight and not qualifying for the surgery. That's a good thing.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    There are groups here on MFP for people who have had various stomach surgeries.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/groups
    Much more support there, since they're not required to let everyone voice their opinions & experiences.
    (Unless you are interested in hearing the truth about the problems, as explained by some here.)

The first time I met with my weight-loss doctor (endocrinologist specializing in weight issues) he offered to
    set me up on the stomach-surgery track, referrals to all the shrinks and surgeons, and I told him "absolutely not!".
    I'd done my research, knew about the horrible lifelong problems which come from them.

When I hit 50 lb down, he told me that I'd lost as much as they would expect from someone who'd had surgery.
    (But I'm still whole, able to eat whatever I want.)

My last checkup, several months ago, they actually had me meet one of the interns in their department, because
    he'd NEVER seen anyone lose a significant amount of weight without surgery! :anguished:
    I showed him pictures of me "before", and he could see me "now" - 80 lb down.

All I did was eat less, move more.
    The trick, if there is one, lies in figuring out the balance.
    And yes, for the first few months I used an appetite suppressant. It was a godsend. Before, I was pretty much always
    hungry. With it, and now that I've not used it for a while, if I don't eat for 6-8 hours I get hungry. Then I eat a normal
    amount of food and I'm not hungry any more.

51637601.png