What helps with digesting?

Options
Hi,

I'm wondering if this might be a reason for my weight gain too. I'm not regular at all. I know there is activia but doesn't it have a lot of sugar? I heard oatmeal too.. but I don't like plain oatmeal... any other ideas?

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Fiber pills and lots and lots of water! :bigsmile:
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    I take Udos oil, its an omega oil I get from my healthfood store, helps alot. Aslo bran cereal and lots of water ans sleep helps
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Have you tried oatmeal with cinnamon? Diabetics use cinnamon as a replacement for sugar. I hate plain oatmeal too, but some cinnamon makes it all better!
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    im the same as you, its a real pain in the *kitten*!!! :embarassed:
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    GROUND psyllium fibre.

I have IBS and take it every single day.

For breakfast every morning, I have 1 scoop whey protein powder, 1 heaping scoop ground psyllium fibre, add cold water, mix quickly and drink quickly. [it turns to glop very fast].

I won't lie. It's nasty. But I wouldn't be without it.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Fiber One or Kashi cereals have lots of fiber...Fruits and veggies...Whole wheat breads...FIBER is the answer!!
  • nmterp
    nmterp Posts: 74
    Options
    Ginger also aids with digestion. Many digestion teas have a ginger base to them.
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options
    Lots of fiber: Pineapple, Apples (raw, sauce, juice), Benefiber powder (It's flavorless and doesnt add texure to drinks or foods. I add it to coffee sometimes which is also a stimulant to give it some nutritional value) and water!
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Fiber pills and lots and lots of water! :bigsmile:

Do you recommend a certain brand?
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you don't want the yogurt because of the sugar or calories, you can always get those active cultures in pill form. Get some acidophilus. It usually needs to be refrigerated. That will aid in digestion, but not necessarily in regularity. That will come with fiber and lots of water.
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    Lots of fiber: Pineapple, Apples (raw, sauce, juice), Benefiber powder (It's flavorless and doesnt add texure to drinks or foods. I add it to coffee sometimes which is also a stimulant to give it some nutritional value) and water!

• gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i take an acidophilus and probiotic supplement. it's like eating the activa yogurt, but yogurt makes me sick so i take the supplement instead!
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    Fiber One or Kashi cereals have lots of fiber...Fruits and veggies...Whole wheat breads...FIBER is the answer!!

I was thinking about fiber one.. thanks so much!
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!! You are all so great! I love MFP! I will try the suggestions :)
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    Have you tried oatmeal with cinnamon? Diabetics use cinnamon as a replacement for sugar. I hate plain oatmeal too, but some cinnamon makes it all better!

Yeah I tried it the other day.. maybe I didn't put enough.. I ate most of it..but it took all I had lol
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Try adding unsweetened applesauce and/or almond milk to the oatmeal along with the cinnamon. I also add milled flax seed and wheat bran for extra fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    Try adding unsweetened applesauce and/or almond milk to the oatmeal along with the cinnamon. I also add milled flax seed and wheat bran for extra fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.

I'll try the apple sauce thanks!!
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Probiotic - Align. Best thing I've ever taken. Haven't had any bloat since taking it. It's wonderful. A little pricey, but I'm actually taking one every other day instead of daily. It feel so good to have a flat belly!
  • juliej65
    juliej65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello

A good probiotic that also has a prebiotic to get into the lower digestive tract will help... Something as simple as drinking some Goodbelly every mornning or taking a good quality probiotic like Mass Phd would definately help.

Takes a week or so to get the full effect but you will run smoothly and boost your immune system at the same time.... ...
  • juliej65
    juliej65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot... a good quality flax seed.. make sure you grind it first.. I put mine in a pepper mill and leave it on the table to add to my foods... kind of like the way people use salt... this tastes a little nutty - has great fiber and a good amount of omega 3's ...

Can use the flax oil also but don't heat it... it will lose it's health properties.....