What would you do??

Options
So I already know this weekend is going to be hard to track! Sat I am running a 5k and going out to Chinese for lunch with friends afterwards, Sunday I have a bday party for my niece which is going to include pizza, cake etc. So what would you do..attempt to log things and do the best you can or just relax and enjoy..not go crazy but just not stress about every little thing?? I'm already feeling some oncoming food guilt and it's only Weds! I mean life happens and events and such as going to happen there's got to be some sort of balance right? I just don't want to de-rail completely! Thoughts??

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just because you are having cake does not mean you need to eat two pieces and just because you are having pizza does not mean you need to eat the whole pie. I would eat reasonable portions that will satisfy you without overdoing it and log it. Even if you go over your goals you can still aim for maintenance which would allow you some freedom to enjoy while still not losing ground on all of your hard work.

This is why I work things like cake and pizza into my regular eating schedule. I see so many people who have a weekend where they eat something they consider "bad" and then decide that since they ate some of the "bad food" they might as well give in and eat as much as they want. Or they are terrified of social events that involve food because they believe it is going to ruin their diet if they eat a burger. This just leads them to feeling so bad about their "failure" that they give up entirely and go back to over eating for a while until they finally get upset enough about gaining more weight that they once again get into the overly restrictive "dieting phase.

Don't do this to yourself. Its just one day. It's just one meal. You are the one in charge. Not the food.

Food is food. All food is good food. Too much of any food is bad. Enjoy life, enjoy eating and do so in such a way that you are making a conscious choice and not just letting your emotions rule your behavior.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    At least you know ahead of time so you're already thinking about it. If I know about an event ahead of time I always eat lightly for the meals before. So I'd maybe have an egg white and veggie omelet for breakfast and go heavy on the veggies. Then I might have a big salad for lunch with just a bit of lean protein (and watch the dressing). Then I'd just be careful at the event. Like Shadowfax said, just eat in moderation. So for the 4th of July party we went to I had smaller helpings of the things I'd usually pile on. It still tasted just as good. And I had one glass of wine and then switched to sparkling water with a splash of wine in it.

Also, funny enough there are some entries in the food tracker that are called things like "ate way too much" or "went to a party". roflolol. I just put in one of those at the end of the day and call it a day.
  • Moddingspree
    Moddingspree Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just say you are on a diet and order something light (salad, etc). I know there is a social stigma about being on a diet, but being your friends I am sure they'll understand. Or do as Shadow said.
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it, think moderation not over indulgence, log it and move on
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'd order Chinese off of the steamed plain diet list as I have for 20 years. Sauce comes on the side, I use sparingly and usually toss the rice.

As for the birthday party, I'd probably eat before and chew gum during the party.

Neither of these things are what I'm saying you should do, but they are things that I would do.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Just because you are having cake does not mean you need to eat two pieces and just because you are having pizza does not mean you need to eat the whole pie. I would eat reasonable portions that will satisfy you without overdoing it and log it. Even if you go over your goals you can still aim for maintenance which would allow you some freedom to enjoy while still not losing ground on all of your hard work.

This is why I work things like cake and pizza into my regular eating schedule. I see so many people who have a weekend where they eat something they consider "bad" and then decide that since they ate some of the "bad food" they might as well give in and eat as much as they want. Or they are terrified of social events that involve food because they believe it is going to ruin their diet if they eat a burger. This just leads them to feeling so bad about their "failure" that they give up entirely and go back to over eating for a while until they finally get upset enough about gaining more weight that they once again get into the overly restrictive "dieting phase.

Don't do this to yourself. Its just one day. It's just one meal. You are the one in charge. Not the food.

Food is food. All food is good food. Too much of any food is bad. Enjoy life, enjoy eating and do so in such a way that you are making a conscious choice and not just letting your emotions rule your behavior.

couldnt have said it better myself.....
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a vacation this weekend, so I am eating lower calories an exercising a slight bit to make up for my upcoming excess. I'm going to pre-log just to have an idea of what's going on, and see where I can trim up edges. Then I will do my best, and take what hits I take. Life happens but for me that's not an excuse for poor self control. Which I can definitely have on the road!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would do my best to track Saturday but would probably eat at maintenence.

I would track Sunday most likely. Pizza is easy to track. Cake is iffy. I don't eat it at most parties because people seem to like to get those godawful grocery store bakery cakes, which aren't worth my calories. If it's an actual homemade cake, I would at least try it.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Would it be less stressful for you, if you prelog your weekend NOW? Like say you think you will have 1 piece of cake, 2 pieces of pizza, and maybe some dips(idk what they're having?), and on Saturday, just log now what you think you will order! Then you can relax knowing that it's already in there. IDK, just a suggestion!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It can fit in your calories. Even if you eat at maintenance 2 days, it's not a huge deal.

What I do is eat less during the week to make up for those days.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log. Sounds like you have a busy and fun weekend ahead of you. Give yourself a break! Life can pass you buy when you're too busy logging your food for next week.

Try not to overeat. Enjoy your friends and family. Your food log will still be there come Monday morning.
  • gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would aim for maintenance, log it and move on. I wouldn't deprive myself too much in advance, because that just sets you up to overindulge. Enjoy the fun social weekend ahead!
  • gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I also like @Kimegatron 's idea of pre-logging to take some pressure off and have a better idea of the trade offs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    lisah180 wrote: »
    So I already know this weekend is going to be hard to track! Sat I am running a 5k and going out to Chinese for lunch with friends afterwards, Sunday I have a bday party for my niece which is going to include pizza, cake etc. So what would you do..attempt to log things and do the best you can or just relax and enjoy..not go crazy but just not stress about every little thing?? I'm already feeling some oncoming food guilt and it's only Weds! I mean life happens and events and such as going to happen there's got to be some sort of balance right? I just don't want to de-rail completely! Thoughts??

Everything in moderation!

Have a great weekend!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    IMO - Relax and enjoy! You aren't giving yourself enough credit for the first half of that sentence - "I am running a 5K". Brilliant achievement so don't be afraid to let loose a little. Track if you can (it's always an idea to keep on top of what you are eating) but if not, not to worry. You'll start again once the crazy weekend is over, right? Don't feel guilty for being human and having a life. :)
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I would eat whatever I want... no, it's not an excuse to have 6 slices of cake but if I want to have a slice of cake (not a massive one that is actually 2 slices), some soda, some pizza and some chips so be it. For the Chinese the day before, I would probably try and chose a potentially lower calorie option, but not be too strict - especially after a 5k run! I definitely wouldn't be feeling guilty.

I think half the problem with the common meaning of "diet" is people feel forced to miss out on the special things in life. For me, my "diet" is a lifelong commitment. That includes special occasions, outings, holidays, sick days and the occasional "bad day". As long as 90% of my days/meals are on track, the few days/meals that aren't isn't going to be an issue.

Why be someone who refuses to eat with your friends and refuses to eat anything at a party? If you are doing it because you have a life-threatening medical condition that will only be fixed with fast weightloss, that's one thing. But if you are doing it to be healthier, happier and sexier... enjoy life! You don't want to demonise food and end up with an eating disorder.
  • Siran12001
    Siran12001 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of prelogging. Find out what the cake and pizza is going to be and plan how much you can fit in your plan. Also, if you are running a 5K on saturday, you should have some additional calories you can eat over the weekend without going over.