Eating back exercise calories

Options
So I need to be better about my choices. I'm pretty good at eating within my daily allotment but my choices aren't always ideal for weightloss....I love veggies but I need to be eating more! That said, is it a terrible idea when you've burned 700 calories running for 42 minutes to have one Reese's cup? I've got over 1000 calories left after logging breakfast lunch and snacks. Am I going to do my weightloss a huge disservice by choosing a small portion of non-nutrient candy after burning so much already?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Folger5 wrote: »
    So I need to be better about my choices. I'm pretty good at eating within my daily allotment but my choices aren't always ideal for weightloss....I love veggies but I need to be eating more! That said, is it a terrible idea when you've burned 700 calories running for 42 minutes to have one Reese's cup? I've got over 1000 calories left after logging breakfast lunch and snacks. Am I going to do my weightloss a huge disservice by choosing a small portion of non-nutrient candy after burning so much already?

It isn't terrible, BUT how do you know you're burning 700 calories in 42 minutes?

And the Reeses cup in fact has nutrients. Fat, carbohydrates, protein, potassium, magnesium, for instance, are all legit things you need in various quantities.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No, as long as your calorie estimate is on point (IN vs OUT). How are you estimating 700 calories for a 42 minute run? That's the big thing, we usually under estimate how much we take in and over estimate how much we burn, so there isn't as much room there as we think.

It'd recommend a few weeks of trial and error to make sure what fits your calories.
  • Folger5
    Folger5 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well, I entered my weight into the treadmill and it estimates my calories in my workout summary. Same with Endomondo. I'm sure there's some wiggle room.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Sometimes treats are a good choice. And if you can't let yourself have one on a day when you've exercised hard, when can you?
  • WBB55
    Options
    Well, I entered my weight into the treadmill and it estimates my calories in my workout summary. Same with Endomondo. I'm sure there's some wiggle room.
    Yeah, I'd only "eat back" at most half those calories "earned". They are most likely (huge) overestimates.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of my exercise calories. MFP already has my deficit built in on the Calories In side. I'm not about being hungry. If I'm not sure of the accuracy of my fitness tracker than I eat back about 2/3 of those calories. I use a heart rate monitor so I feel that my burns on steady state cardio are pretty accurate. I don't eat back any calories from lifting cause who the hell knows how much that burns?
  • Folger5
    Options
    Interesting. So, I shouldn't be more trusting of programs like Endomondo that can track altitude, average speed, etc based on my weight for the purposes of logging? I thought those were pretty accurate, guess I'm wrong. I just entered info into another online calculator 4 miles in 42 minutes, my weight, and it spit out 665 - pretty close to 700 but it doesn't take into account that I added inclines throughout the run which does burn more.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Interesting. So, I shouldn't be more trusting of programs like Endomondo that can track altitude, average speed, etc based on my weight for the purposes of logging? I thought those were pretty accurate, guess I'm wrong. I just entered info into another online calculator 4 miles in 42 minutes, my weight, and it spit out 665 - pretty close to 700 but it doesn't take into account that I added inclines throughout the run which does burn more.

I'd start out with 50% and adjust from there. I cut at about 60%.
  • WBB55
    Options
    It's all just estimates. Half to 2/3 of what a generic calculator gives you is a pretty common thing people here recommend as what credit to give yourself for exercise. The question I have is does your 665-700 burn include the 80-100 calories you might have burned anyway? So do you log the 700? Or 100 less to account for your BMR?
  • Folger5
    Options
    Sad face.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If the Reese's cup is still within your daily goal, it won't do anything to sabotage you. I have an ice cream bar just about every day, and I've lost 27lbs. I make it fit by adjusting portions of other things through out the day.

I really try to not over estimate my calories burned, because I want to eat them back. I choose the lowest level intensity, even if I feel like I worked harder. OR I don't log it at all, knowing I'm not at a dangerously aggressive level to begin with.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    that seems like a really high calorie burn for that short amount of time.... my average (per HRM) is about 500 cals/ hour with intense cardio.

that said, i typically eat back maybe half of my exercise cals and a lot of times none and bank them for weekend deck drinking ;)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If your exercise calories are accurate a Reese's cup sounds like a great way to use them; however 700 calories in under an hour sounds extremely high.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Never go by the calorie burn on exercise equipment, its not spot on. Depending on the treadmill speed and your current weight depends on how many calories your burning. Treadmill running is actually easier than running outside although it feels harder and this is because indoor running is boring, hamster running is what I call it if you run outdoors your body can not adjust to the changing terrain and elements I.e. wind, hills, inclines and curbs..you get it. I only speak from experience from my point I ran a lot trained for marathon training runs that were 22+miles and HUNGRY was my middle name I over estimated my activities calories and actually gained wt.... I could kick myself.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have lost 32 pounds while still eating pizza, chocolate, ice cream, cookies....

As long as those are not the bulk of your food intake, and it is within your calorie budget, there is nothing at all wrong with enjoying some sweets and treats.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't figure in exercise calories at all. I have a set amount of calories for every day whether I exercise or not. I was only trying to lose .5lbs a week but am losing closer to 1.3lbs a week.

This way I never have to worry about exercise. I'm never hungry. It's the same every day and I don't have to adjust what I can eat up and down. And as long as you have calories left, sure, have a Reeses! I had a double portion of Cheetos today :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Keep good records of calorie intake, exercise, and weight lost for 2-4weeks. Then do the math to figure out if your calorie burn on you Endo and the treadmill is accurate.

This works best if you are doing only one type of exercise. I did it combining 3 different 60min exercise activities, so I just have an average of what I burn in 60min.

As long as you are satisfied with your macros and micros eat whatever you wish within your calorie allotment.

Cheers, h.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'd only "eat back" at most half those calories "earned". They are most likely (huge) overestimates.
    [/quote]

Same here.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with having a 'treat' every now and again--I eat chocolate nearly every single day to no detriment. Now mind you, it's a small portion and no more than 20% of my overall caloric intake for the day...

The bigger matter is that you seem to be overestimating calories out... Here are a couple of links to Runner's World that give more realistic estimates:

http://www.runnersworld.com/fitness-calculators/calories-burned-calculator

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn