I'm going to Vegas this weekend

Options
And I'm going to eat the delicious food and drink the delicious drinks. In the past, I would get so anxious about trips and the associated weight gain but not this time.

Although I'm going to workout while I'm there and be mindful of my choices, I am also going to In-n-Out burger on Friday. And having an amazing steak dinner with all of the wine on Saturday. And ordering buckets of beer while lounging by the pool all weekend.

And when I get back, the scale will show an increase of 4-5 pounds or so. Then I'll get right back to my routine and fluctuate back down within a few weeks. I'm so proud of myself for finding this balance - it's a great demonstration of the progress I've made so far!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Awesome approach!! Have fun :)
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I went to Vegas 2 weeks ago. I agree with you completely. Before this I would get anxious about potential weight gain. Now I have the confidence to eat well, when it is good; and save my calories when we ate at Denny's. I exercised while there and lost the 4 lbs in 3 days when I got back!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99 - Thank you!

@clh72569 - Exactly, it's not worth the stress. Splurge some of the time, save calories other times and just have fun! The weight will come off when I get back to my routine.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yay! I just got back from a week long vacation, didn't track, and ate what I wanted (too much and drank waaay too much). I was up 10lbs when I got back; three days later, I'm down 5lbs already. We'll see where I'm at on official weigh in day (5 days after getting back) and in the next few weeks. I'm expecting a rather small actual gain which will drop off in a week or two.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Great mindset! Chances are, you'll do a lot of walking in Vegas to help offset your indulgences. It took me quite awhile to get over the pre-vacation panic over what I'd eat and drink while away. And that is so NOT what vacations are all about. It's also not healthy from a diet/weight maintenance standpoint, either. You have to be a little bit flexible sometimes, and able to reset when you get back, else you'll go nuts and never enjoy anything.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @auddii - That's my exact mindset for this trip. I know I'm going to overindulge and drink a lot. I know I'm going to come back with a lot of water weight and a small gain. I'm totally okay with that - whatever gain I have will come off in a couple of weeks, and I get to enjoy myself while on vacation. It sounds like you had a great time!

@brynnsmom - Thank you! You're so right - in the past when I haven't been flexible in my diet it's because I was in the "all or nothing" mindset which was not a great place to be. I much prefer the flexibility and balance I have now and know I'll ultimately be able to maintain (when I get there) because of it.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I love love love your mindset. This shows just how strong you've become not only physically, but now mentally as well.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I leave for Vegas in a couple of hours. I plan on following your plan.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @neldabg - Thank you so much.

@thereshegoesagain - Have fun!
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome mindset, well done and enjoy your holiday! :smile: It sounds like you get that it's a lifestyle change not a diet. It took me a while, but these days I like to make my calories really count on holidays and special occasions. I went out for dinner last night to celebrate a friend's birthday, and chose some very good quality and very delicious calories. Hot chips and pasta don't give me enough bang for my buck anymore, but steak, dessert, cheese and cocktails?? Gimme gimme gimme! :p
  • athenawj
    athenawj Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is great to read! I used to freak out way too much about vacations and holidays. Now that I've seen that the water and actual weight comes off easily, I'm so much more relaxed. What am I going to do- freak out for the rest of my life?? My birthday is next week, and we're going to WDW next month, and you know what I'm going to do? EAT. Andenjoy myself. And then come home and get back to it. That's life. :)

Enjoy your trip!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @vanessalillian82 - Absolutely! I couldn't agree with you more.

@athenawj - Exactly! Happy early birthday and enjoy!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    OMG. In-n-Out Burger. WHY won't they build on the east coast? :(
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Have fun! The weather is looking like it's going to be pretty nice this weekend. We're actually out of triple digits! I love In and Out. It's my go to between Vegas and Cali. I actually prefer their burgers protein style? What steak house do you plan on dining at?
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @sheermomentum - I know! I always make a point to go when I'm in CA or Vegas as we don't have them in Seattle, either (although we do have Dicks which is amazing.)

@VegasFit - Thank you! We're going to Gallaghers - I've heard it's amazing and the reviews are great. Have you been?
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i went to vegas last year for 6 nights at the tump hotel and i lifted and ran every morning and we drank all vacation and i came back the same weight...so you might not gain any. Vegas is alot of fun.

..we did this surf n turf special on groupon there is really worht it too and it's in planet hollywood so it's in the middle of everything.

https://www.groupon.com/biz/las-vegas/pampas-brazilian-grille
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    @sheermomentum - I know! I always make a point to go when I'm in CA or Vegas as we don't have them in Seattle, either (although we do have Dicks which is amazing.)

@VegasFit - Thank you! We're going to Gallaghers - I've heard it's amazing and the reviews are great. Have you been?

I have not been there! But I've heard good things. As a local I pretty much avoid the Strip. I do love In & Out and that is my go to when I drive to CA. Love it protein style!

• vanessasaurousrex
    Options
    Thank you for this! You have a great mindset. I feel the same and it shows how far we have progressed. I leave for Vegas tomorrow at 11:30am!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO! have a safe and fun trip :)
  • Somebody_Loved
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @vanessasaurousrex - Have a wonderful time!

I got back last night and am up 6.2 lbs as of this morning. There were definitely some better choices I could have made - didn't need the drunk McDonald's at 2am - but I had a fantastic time and am back to my routine today! In the long run, this weekend has no bearing on my weight loss other than one or two weeks without seeing a loss, and that's just fine with me.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!