Down 40lbs in 11wks

Options
13»

Replies

• Edjeep
    Edjeep Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great job, and you are to be commended on your attitude. What you've been doing is working, but always room to learn what you can do better. I'm kind of in that same boat, I have lost 50+ lbs, it's been working, and I hope to learn how to to better every day.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Congrats and great job! Obviously what you're doing is working, I would keep it up. If your doctor is happy with your progress and you are, that's all that matters. People here are well meaning with their unasked for advice, but none of them have an MD behind their name.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    happygalah wrote: »
    Congrats and great job! Obviously what you're doing is working, I would keep it up. If your doctor is happy with your progress and you are, that's all that matters. People here are well meaning with their unasked for advice, but none of them have an MD behind their name.

Didn't see anywhere that the OP mentioned that this is a doctor supervised and/or recommended diet plan. Because any doctor that would do this to one of his/her patients unless there was an urgent medical need to do so should have their licence pulled.

FYI, most doctors receive *very* little instruction regarding nutrition in med school. It's just not a focus of the curriculum. So many physicians are woefully uninformed in this area. :)
  • bpaolina
    bpaolina Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

If you truly are eating around 1200 cals per day, you are robbing your body of vital energy and nutrients. As others have stated, 1500 is the lowest recommended daily caloric intake for males. The 1200 you're apparently currently eating is the minimum recommended *for women.*

Please reconsider what you're doing. Why are you in such a rush when it will cost you in the long run? You didn't get overweight overnight, and it's unreasonable to expect it to come off that quickly. :)

Since my original post, I am now between 1500-1800. I definitely received some much needed input!

Thanks for your post :)
  • bpaolina
    Options
    Edjeep wrote: »
    Great job, and you are to be commended on your attitude. What you've been doing is working, but always room to learn what you can do better. I'm kind of in that same boat, I have lost 50+ lbs, it's been working, and I hope to learn how to to better every day.

Great job on your weight loss! I am new to this and losing weight, my diet and exercise has all been quite a learning experience. I am so glad I posted on here. One day at a time one pound at a time and I'll get there.

Thanks for your post
  • bpaolina
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I'd second what Carol says, above. Weight loss can be very quick at first, when you have a lot to lose. After a while, to stay on the track to safe, healthy weight loss, it's a good idea to slow it down to 2 lbs. per week.
    Congrats on what you've done so far - now it's time to slow it down a bit and get on the lifelong road. Remember, it's not a race, it's a journey. Do it the right and safe way and you'll always be glad that you did.

Thanks for your post! I have raised my calories but still eating very healthy and exercising. I've lost another 3 pounds since my original post so I'm glad I took everyone's advice and appreciate all the concern. This is a great group of people on here!
  • bpaolina
    Options

I am glad they are informing me, believe me I need it.
    I very much appreciate it!
    Thank you[/quote]

Since you've stated you need some help, this is a great starting place:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And congrats on your success so far![/quote]

Thank you! I will def check it out.
  • bpaolina
    Options
    Awesome job. I also think you should eat more though. I'm all for losing weight fast, but you don't want it to be too fast either.

I was 220lb at 5'11". I ate 1720 calories/day and did a poor job eating back exercise calories. My goal was 2lb/week, but I ended up doing ~2.3lb/week for 2 months. I'm stronger than when I started, but was starving at a little over 2 months in. I'm now eating 1860 and doing a better job of eating back exercise calories. My goal now is 1.5lb/week, but I'm still losing faster. I think my activity level has gone up (outside of exercise) and I haven't accounted for it yet. I actually think that I'm near the peak for squatting until I start eating at a surplus. I can probably go up a tiny bit more, but the gains aren't coming like they did when I first started (I'm doing 5x5 with 1.2x my current weight)

I would probably go with a goal of 2lb/week and eat back exercise calories since you still have a decent way to go. It would be 1/2 the rate you going now, but you would lose less muscle. As you continue to drop weight you can drop it to 1.5lb, then 1lb and finish out the losing weight portion.

As for building muscle, you may have (you can build muscle due to newbie gains or being obese with fat to spare), but if you continue to eat at that big of a deficit you will lose muscle.

Congrats to you! And thanks for sharing! Like I've been telling everyone posting on here, I am so thankful for all of the input and advice. I am not in a hurry as much as I am just excited for the journey ahead... I know it's going to be hard but being overweight is even more difficult in its own way.

Thank you :)
  • bpaolina
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far!

It's generally safe for some people paying a close eye to nutrition to lose at an accelerated rate of 1% of bodyweight per week, and your loss exceeds that.

The concern is that one's body can only oxidize so much fat at a time, and when you lose too quickly, what's lost above that threshold is muscle mass.

The other concern is a far reaching one. Most of the research done on adaptive thermogenesis showing such drastically reduced maintenance calorie needs vs. predicted outcomes for the formerly obese has been done on subjects who lost weight using very low calorie approaches. Fast doesn't always equal smart.

It's most important when you're dieting to pay attention to getting enough protein - .6 to .8 grams per pound of bodyweight a day, and fat - .35 to .45 grams per pound of bodyweight a day. The rest of your caloric intake can be filled in with carbs. A diet based on these criteria and a fitness regimen that includes some sort of resistance program will help you preserve muscle mass.

Since your current weight is 245, slow down your loss so you're not losing more than 2 pounds or so a week. That's still a pretty fast clip, but it's safe if you're getting really top notch nutrition.

Good luck!

Thank you so much and good luck on your own goals!
  • bpaolina
    Options
    bpaolina wrote: »
    This app is a life changer! I'm 27 and started on June 8th, 2015 at 285lbs. Now 11wks later I'm now 245lbs and haven't been in the 240's since high school. My goal is 5lbs at a time until I get to where I feel I'm healthy! I've never felt so good. You all are a true inspiration to me and I hope I can inspire others also! Keep up the good work everyone! #MFP44ysc2lthbou.jpg

Down to 242 now and have been taking everyone's advice and eating more calories! I want to change the name of this discussion to "one pound at a time, one day at a time" that's my new motto lol

So excited to be in the 230's in the not so distant future.

And thank you all for the support and good advice!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This app is a life changer! I'm 27 and started on June 8th, 2015 at 285lbs. Now 11wks later I'm now 245lbs and haven't been in the 240's since high school. My goal is 5lbs at a time until I get to where I feel I'm healthy! I've never felt so good. You all are a true inspiration to me and I hope I can inspire others also! Keep up the good work everyone! #MFP44ysc2lthbou.jpg

Down to 242 now and have been taking everyone's advice and eating more calories! I want to change the name of this discussion to "one pound at a time, one day at a time" that's my new motto lol

So excited to be in the 230's in the not so distant future.

And thank you all for the support and good advice!

Awesome, this approach is much more sensible. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I'd second what Carol says, above. Weight loss can be very quick at first, when you have a lot to lose. After a while, to stay on the track to safe, healthy weight loss, it's a good idea to slow it down to 2 lbs. per week.
    Congrats on what you've done so far - now it's time to slow it down a bit and get on the lifelong road. Remember, it's not a race, it's a journey. Do it the right and safe way and you'll always be glad that you did.

Thanks for your post! I have raised my calories but still eating very healthy and exercising. I've lost another 3 pounds since my original post so I'm glad I took everyone's advice and appreciate all the concern. This is a great group of people on here!

Awesome, so glad to hear it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!