Exercise: Not 'cheating' your way out.

Options
Hi all,

Looking for some motivation for more exercise, something I will enjoy and food that I won't feel guilty for eating. I know mostly, fruit, veg, etc. etc. but some actual recipes would be fantastic as I can never seem to find good ones.

Loosing weight can be addictive, which is why I want to do it the right way. Confidence is an issue for everyone, so doing it with someone can help.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear about some recipes that work for you guys!

Ell

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Pick one you enjoy ... pick several!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports
  • eleanormasters95
    Options
    Crikey! Thanks :)

I'll have to see what I like and see if it's available in my area. Didn't even cross my mind to do it outside of my living room. I'll have to invest in some baggy clothing! :')
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    My advice?

Start with walking around your neighborhood or a park in your town. I like to listen to audiobooks or podcasts and going for a walk is a great way to do that.

If a particular sport strikes your fancy, see if you can join a class or something similar; around where I live, both the YMCA and the city's Recreation Department offer classes to anyone that wants to join, though there is a fee for the classes.

As for recipes, check out skinnytaste.com - lower-cal versions of super yummy things, there!

~Lyssa
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I'll have to see what I like and see if it's available in my area. Didn't even cross my mind to do it outside of my living room. I'll have to invest in some baggy clothing! :')
    I would definitely recommend doing something outside, or at least out of the house. After a while it becomes way too easy to find reasons to not exercise when you are in the comfort of your own home. I used the high motivation I had at the beginning to start going to the gym and built a habit out of it. Now I can go whether I feel like it or not. :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you have to find what you enjoy.

i started by walking. not sure i enjoyed it, but it gave me some extra calories. then i started going to the gym, and to zumba classes- both of those i love. i dont wal so much anymore, but do hit the gym 5 times a week and do a zumba class once a week ;)

i always thought i hated exercise. i just had to find what i enjoyed. Now (most days), i cant wait to work out!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    True!

I have a few activities I like.

Getting fit makes most things more fun.

I love cycling now!

It is a great way to burn a thousand calories at a time and stay fit
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's the losing weight that's addictive or the massive confidence boosts that come with :)

• Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    My advice?

Start with walking around your neighborhood or a park in your town. I like to listen to audiobooks or podcasts and going for a walk is a great way to do that.

If a particular sport strikes your fancy, see if you can join a class or something similar; around where I live, both the YMCA and the city's Recreation Department offer classes to anyone that wants to join, though there is a fee for the classes.

As for recipes, check out skinnytaste.com - lower-cal versions of super yummy things, there!

~Lyssa

Yes! I started with simple walking--a 30 minute loop around my neighborhood. Doing that every day or every other day at a brisk pace can do wonders for your heart. It really got me jumpstarted and in the habit of doing SOMETHING every single day.

However, I use an Apple Watch to track heart rate and calorie burn and noticed that over time, walking did less and less in those areas. I can now go on a 30-35 minute walk and only burn a little over 100 calories because my heart just doesn't find it strenuous anymore. Luckily, that led to me rediscovering how much I love biking. And on days I can't do that, I just try to work up a good sweat on the elliptical.

Simple walking every day leads to so many other good things though--I can't recommend it enough for someone just starting out.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Walking/running. The weather is perfect and it can be addictive. Many programs out there if you google it. I eat just about anything but in moderation. your crock pot is your best friend in the world!! i make all kinds of healthy soups and just today but in some chicken with bbq sauce and I'll have shredded bbq chicken when I get home. the leftovers will last me a couple days and that will be lunch, along with a side salad of mixed greens, some cheese, tomato and oil and vinegar. there are tons of ways to eat well. i start every morning with a smoothie and even my husband enjoys them. I change them up all the time so we don't get stuck in a rut. try 1/2 cup milk, splash of oj, 1/2 cup kale, 1 cup frozen fruit (can be a 1/2 cup of two different fruits) blend and drink. Good luck!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Walking/running alone, with a friend, with a dog
    dancing
    skating
    riding a bike
    riding a horse
    gardening
    building things
    moving heavy things
    Check out active video games if you like video games
    Try different workout videos on You Tube

You can eat whatever you want and lose weight if it fits your calorie goal. Food isn't something to feel guilty about unless you stole it from someone. Some foods have more nutrition than others. Foods with protein, fats and fiber can help you to fill more satisfied.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/
  • ErinV1974
    ErinV1974 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been loving this DVD, and I think it's good for beginners: http://www.amazon.com/Denise-Austin-Quick-Burn-Cardio/dp/B0042AM390
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    -Walking 30 minutes a day (even if you divide it into 2 or 3 sessions each day) can make a big difference in your health if you don't already exercise.

-I recommend a FitBit or another activity tracker. THEY. ARE. AWESOME. AND. FUN.
  • ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    -Walking 30 minutes a day (even if you divide it into 2 or 3 sessions each day) can make a big difference in your health if you don't already exercise.

-I recommend a FitBit or another activity tracker. THEY. ARE. AWESOME. AND. FUN.

My jawbone Up Move has gotten me seriously motivated to walk a ton more than I used to. I do everything I can to hit 10k steps. I highly recommend getting one, they really are fun if you're into challenging yourself a little bit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    To begin with I just made the effort to walk daily, even that was something I struggled to be motivated with but as my stamina improved I started loving those walks and progressed into circuit training then running. Its about trying different things and finding one that you enjoy so you will continue to do it and not see it as a chore.

When the weather is awful, which happens alot where I come from then I just do a workout from youtube, there's 1000's of them on there and no way you'd get bored :smile:

I also highly recommend Fitbit, it certainly has kept me moving. Although I've got to the point where hitting 21000 step a day is just not realistic so have cut back to 15000! its addictive especially as you see your burn and its motivating when you take on challenges with other friends.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have always had a passion for adventure racing and obstacle courses, so triathlons and OCRs such as Spartan Race, Tough Mudder, etc. are my motivation. Plus it gives me the caloric burn to budget in my beer intake.

• eleanormasters95
    eleanormasters95 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone, this has been really really helpful.

I'll start out with some walking, hopefully that should also build my confidence up to start publicly exercising. :)
    KeepGood wrote: »

I would definitely recommend doing something outside, or at least out of the house. After a while it becomes way too easy to find reasons to not exercise when you are in the comfort of your own home. I used the high motivation I had at the beginning to start going to the gym and built a habit out of it. Now I can go whether I feel like it or not. :smile:

I totally agree with this also! I do make excuses, then just not eat as a substitute for not exercising! It's bad, I know.

Really appreciate every single comment, guys.