Anyone else have PCOS?

Options
i was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15. I've always had a hard time loosing weight and keeping it off and I think my PCOS has a lot to do with it. I'm also pre debitic and I know my PCOS has a lot to do with that as well. I'm trying now to seriously loose weight and stay healthy... anyone else have PCOS?

Replies

• cheaton9782000
    cheaton9782000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do....it's been very hard to lose weight.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Search the forum. Lots & lots of discussions on it.
    Also read the first post in this forum called "Most Helpful Posts". It applies to everyone. :+1:
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You are in a cycle: You do have a medical condition that makes it harder to lose weight especially in the tummy area, and which puts you at increased risk for diabetes. At the same time, the symptoms and risks that come with PCOS, they get worse with weight gain. I see you have a lot of weight to lose. So, no, PCOS did not cause all this weight gain, sorry. It can explain a few lbs, not that much. On the other hand, 100+ lbs can aggravate PCOS and cause prediabetes without any other risk factor. Focus on counting calories, and increase physical activity. As you lose weight and move more, you can reverse prediabetes, and you will see PCOS symptoms decreasing.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have it also. It is much, much easier to keep weight off than to lose it. My symptoms usually end almost completely when I'm at a normal weight. I think some women see better weight loss on the metformin medication, but that medicine just makes me too sick.
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have PCOS too - and high insulin. Being insulin resistant can make it very difficult to keep your weight down since it causes your body to store more fat. A lot of women choose to go low carb or even keto because of this.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

This group is super helpful - the women who post are informative and supportive! It's so important to have that when dealing with this frustration. The information posted was how I found out I needed to ask for my fasting insulin to be tested. Now my GP is talking about endocrinologists and Metformin - something she wasn't doing a year ago when I had blood work done the first time.

God luck! And feel free to friend me if you'd like :smile:
  • coliemarie1832
    coliemarie1832 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @aggelikik I know PCOS did not cause all of my weight gain, but I do know it has made it difficult for me to loose weight. I have tried so many diets and would get stuck at a certain weight and get frustrated and then give up... but I'm tired of giving up. I don't want to call it a diet this time... I want it to be a life style change that I can keep at to stay healthy.
  • coliemarie1832
    coliemarie1832 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thank you! @jaimekbee1219
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    @aggelikik I know PCOS did not cause all of my weight gain, but I do know it has made it difficult for me to loose weight. I have tried so many diets and would get stuck at a certain weight and get frustrated and then give up... but I'm tired of giving up. I don't want to call it a diet this time... I want it to be a life style change that I can keep at to stay healthy.
    What you experienced is normal. It happens to everyone, not just people with PCOS. And this is a good thing, because it means you can get over this problem. Just readjust your goals as you lose weight, focus on the big picture, and do not expect fast results. It does not matter if you lose slowly, it matters that you can maintain. You can absolutely do this, do not worry.