Needing some major motivation (Exercise)

Options
So here's my problem. I have the hardest time getting motivated to exercise. I do my 30 minutes of my exercise bike in 10 minute increments and I used to do dance fitness videos, however, my knees and my left ankle have decided that they don't want to allow me to do that for awhile (squats take my knee out every time). I want to try walking more, but I just can't get motivated to go walking...mainly because I hate doing it by myself (time goes by quicker with a buddy) but I don't have alot of friends that will go walking with me unless its at the mall (more shopping than walking in my opinion). I need some tips to use to get motivated to hit my bike more as well as tips on what to do about my knee and ankle issue so that I can get back to torching calories in dance.

Replies

• Carrebare
    Carrebare Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to stay motivated either. I will do go walking for a few days and then slack off. You're right it is more fun with a buddy.
  • LisaAnn642015
    LisaAnn642015 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can check with your neighbors about a walking program? Or check out Leslie Sansone website she may have connections on that too. Also if you belong to a church see if any members will walk with you.Good Luck to the both of you! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's not about motivation, it's about committing to doing something and then doing it. Motivation will always be a fleeting thing...we do things everyday that we aren't motivated to do because they simply need doing. I'm not always motivated to go to work, but I've made a commitment to the company and my boss to show up regularly. I was not motivated to mow my lawn last night, but I made a commitment to my wife to do so...etc, etc, etc...

if you're waiting to be motivated, you'll be waiting forever. commit and act...

beyond that, find something you enjoy doing...I love to ride...very little motivation is required for me to get out on my bike and ride. when I've had to take time off and had to do something less enjoyable, I've just sucked it up...it's temporary.
  • carolineloves
    carolineloves Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with cwolfman13. Motivating yourself is hard. But it's true about commitment. Once you find a routine that works, it sticks. They say it takes about three weeks to break a bad habit; I think it takes three weeks to build commitment. Tomato potato.

My best advice is to plan ahead. Every Sunday night, set out what your week is going to look like. From there, set aside time for exercise. I also set up reminders on my phone.

Also, find something you enjoy. It's harder to start a routine if you feel like you're resentfully firing yourself to do it.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Injuries suck. Sounds to me like you already found an activity you enjoy -- dance. While you are waiting for your injuries to heal, cycling is a great option, as is rowing and swimming. You are lucky if walking is an option too. My daughters swear by audio books for walking.
  • svansledright
    svansledright Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone would be a great start while you're still injured, as its low impact but you still feel good about yourself. And, once you do it a few times, you can turn the volume down and crank up some music instead.
  • angeleyez91914
    angeleyez91914 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I looked up Leslie on Youtube last night and found a few videos. I am going to start them this morning and continue them until I can get back into my dancing. :)
  • paulhoward2868
    paulhoward2868 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 314 lbs trying to get down to 225 agian I'm down 17 so far but I feel like you motivation is a hard hurdle but with a good support network we can do it I'm here for you let's take our lives back