Almond Milk

Options
I keep reading about people using almond milk in those protein shakes and such. What I wanna know is how much different us almond milk is from regular milk and what does it taste like. I'm a big milk drinker, I'm just trying to loil for a healthier alternative if there is one.

Replies

• HisBeloved65
    HisBeloved65 Posts: 186
    Options
    I dont drink the almond milk straight up- only use in the shakes. it is only 40 cal for 8 ounces (I use the unsweetened variety) it is lower in every category I am tracking. Better then even fat free milk. Again I dont just drink it, lol dont want to even try it but its good in the shakes.
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I normally drink fat free milk but I use unsweetened almond milk in my shakes b/c I'm still not used to the flavor. I like it b/c of the low calories (35) per cup!
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I keep reading about people using almond milk in those protein shakes and such. What I wanna know is how much different us almond milk is from regular milk and what does it taste like. I'm a big milk drinker, I'm just trying to loil for a healthier alternative if there is one.

Think of it like milk except without the sugars, oh and adding in some more fats, but good fats. Its also available in flavors, and I think it tastes great, but I don't exactly know how to describe how it tastes. I know of no one who has told me they absolutely hate it.
  • gillianjoon
    gillianjoon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am totally converted I love it on my cereal in the morning its unsweetened and only 40 cals it is thicker than regular milk so if you are not used to it it may seem unusual to drink a glass but after using it with cereal and in recipes its tastes great to me.
  • KristiSnell
    Options
    I love the flavor! I drink Blue Diamond Unsweetened Original. It is nice and thick like whole milk, but so much better for you. It is great in cereal and oatmeal and I like drinking it straight up. I am not a huge milk drinker. It does not taste like milk, but has similar qualities.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk, I usually use the original kind that is 60 cals per cup. I think it tastes amazing and works in all recipes and foods that usually require milk. I also drink soy milk and the occasional cows milk, I like to switch it up and keep things yummy

Buy a carton and try it. If you are open to a different taste, you might like it. I would recommend the original kind of you are going to plan to drink it often, but the unsweetened is good if you get used to it as well. YUMMMMM!!
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    thanks guys :) In definitely going to try it out!
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm a Vanilla Light Soy Milk kinda girl, but I think I'm going to pick up some almond milk to try it out!
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    I was never a milk drinker, so when I stopped eating dairy, it was no big deal to give it up. I found that I missed cereal though, so I picked up a container of soy milk to try. I almost puked it was so revolting.

Needless to say, it took me some time to find the courage to try almond milk. What a relief! Honestly, I don't taste a significant difference between almond milk and skim milk. I could finally enjoy cereal again!

I don't know about drinking it straight, since I haven't had a glass of milk since I was about 14 yrs old.

I think you should try it. Remember... cows milk is nutrition designed to turn a 100lb calf into a 1000lb cow. You are not a cow. ;)
  • achapman01
    achapman01 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love the Trader Joe's unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It is really good in coffee and in protein shakes, and very low calorie. I do not personally care for the Diamond brand, it seems somewhat bitter to me.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I am a vegetarian and I try to limit the amount of animal products that I eat and I'm also trying to limit my dairy intake. I think it taste pretty good but from what I recall it doesn't really taste like milk. I am also particular about brands. I dislike the Silk brand. It feels too thick and gloppy to me. I prefer Blue Diamond brand. I also like Rice Dreams brand rice milk.