How Can I Ease Myself into Working Out?

Options
Ram12192
Ram12192 Posts: 7 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm really out of shape and haven't really exercised much (other than walking) in a while. What kind of exercises could I do now that would prepare me for more vigorous exercise later on?

Replies

• spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Walking longer distances or the Elliptical are my suggestions. The elliptical is low impact and you can adjust the resistance and the incline. Then you can move on to Group classes (zumba, areobics) if you don't have a gym membership you can go on Youtube and look up some workouts. Good for you on taking care of yourself.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Put on shoes,
    exit your home,
    walk.

Walking is a great exercise because it can be done just about anywhere, requires no extra equipment, and just about anyone can do it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great start. Increase intensity (incline, distance and/or speed) as often as you can. Try adding a few hills if possible. Once you build up your stamina, maybe add a few intervals of jogging to your walk.

Resistance bands are a good place to start for strength training. Do pushups against a wall, then move to a table, then a lower surface. Stairs are good if you have them. Just go to a step lower wheneven you are able.

You'll probably be surprised how quickly you improve once you dedicate yourself to it. Don't overdo it, but always keep pushing slowly to the next level.

Best of luck to you!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great start. Work on building up speed until you can hit 3.5-4mph over a mile. Once you can walk fast for 30 minutes you can do C25k which will pull you into jogging.

Light weight training also works. Start with the lightest weight available and add weight each time. Strong Lifts 5x5 can be started with just a standard bar or those fixed weight bars if you can't handle an olympic bar. There are beginner body weight routines. Find an established beginner program that looks interesting to you.
  • tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want to do for exercise. If you want to run you should walk and get comfortable doing about 3 miles at a comfortable speed. Then increase your time to 3 miles little by little till you find yourself jogging then running, etc.

Resistance training you can start with anything. Bands, machines, free weights, body weight, etc... But if you are using a method where you can increase the weight you need to warm up with about 5 min. cardio then STRETCH, EVERYTHING no mater the exercises. Now you need to know your tendons and ligaments are going to need to strengthen as well and you will start adding weight a little quicker then they'll be ready for so progress easily and stop and lower weight if you feel sharp pain. After some time you will learn your body.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Ram12192
    Ram12192 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate the suggestions and feedback
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This YouTube channel has lots of beginner (and intermediate) workouts.......Jessica Smith

Beginner: www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe5P3ayTEj7bU0ljnuSbKkKqaAlPlrLIY

Her walking workouts are my favorite.....but she's got strength training, kickboxing, barre, step aerobics and others.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    And don't be afraid to try things, if you're pretty sure they won't literally injure you. You may - will, very likely - surprise yourself with what you can do. Walking, stairs, resistance bands, all that good stuff folks have mentioned, are good starters. But if something looks fun, and do-able (though perhaps difficult), go for it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    walking- then when you feel like you're walking TO long - add in some interverals- 30 seconds QUICK walking- and a minute recovery.
    Then when that gets easy- do 30 sec walking- 30 sec recovery.
    when that gets too easy- 30 second yog (it's like a job- but slower) 1 recovery
    etc etc you can ease your way into running that way if you like.

Don't forget yoga/pilates are a good way to work your way into moving more without over whelming yourself- I'd check out restoritive yoga- and focus on that- rather than some of the more "aggressive" styles (i.e. don't pick up Rodney Ye's Power Yoga or the P90X yoga- stuff's intense)

lol
    lots of stuff to do. just start off slow and keep doing the things!
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I started with walking and used Map My Walk to challenge myself and build up speed and endurance. I did this for three weeks. Now I'm up to the elliptical. I started with averaging about 1.5 miles in 30 minutes and am now between 2.5 and 2.6 miles in 30 minutes. I've been doing the elliptical for three weeks as well. You can see how I've made progress and I find that each time on the elliptical I feel more and more comfortable challenging myself.

Don't go too fast. I honestly don't get sore. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but even with doing strength training I'm not really getting too sore.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You have little enough to lose that you could probably try running if you're interested. The Couch to 5K program is a great way to get started.

I'm a big fan of simply moving more or with more intensity. If you already enjoy walking then walk faster. You could even do walking intervals. Walk 2 minutes as fast as you can; break a sweat and be breathing hard. Then slow down to a comfortable pace for 1 minute and repeat. Increase the fast walking intervals as they get easier.