consuming back the calories you worked off

hey guys,

so right now i have mfp setting me up with a caloric goal to drop 1.5 lbs/week. from what i've read and learned in classes (i'm an exercise science and health major) i probably don't want to be too far under this, otherwise i could find myself with a slow metabolism, which isn't what i'm really looking for. so when i get my workout in for the day, i still try to come as close to zero on the ticker as i can without going over to make sure i'm giving my body enough fuel.

my question is, when i burn those calories, what sort of macronutrient should i replenish them with? Protein? Fats (doubt it!)? Carbs? Some combination of all three? Because even though mfp accounts for those burnt calories, it seems to just keep these macronutrients in the same ratios, and some voice inside me tells me i should focus more on carbs and protein.

Excited for the inputs!

Replies

• BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    hey guys,

so right now i have mfp setting me up with a caloric goal to drop 1.5 lbs/week. from what i've read and learned in classes (i'm an exercise science and health major) i probably don't want to be too far under this, otherwise i could find myself with a slow metabolism, which isn't what i'm really looking for. so when i get my workout in for the day, i still try to come as close to zero on the ticker as i can without going over to make sure i'm giving my body enough fuel.

my question is, when i burn those calories, what sort of macronutrient should i replenish them with? Protein? Fats (doubt it!)? Carbs? Some combination of all three? Because even though mfp accounts for those burnt calories, it seems to just keep these macronutrients in the same ratios, and some voice inside me tells me i should focus more on carbs and protein.

Excited for the inputs!

That voice would be right. :flowerforyou: http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    what do you all classify as carbs?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    So far I have always just gone with the same ratio. If anything I go a little under on carbs and a little over on protein.

Also, just to add 2 cents... from your ticker it appears you have less than 20 lbs to lose. 1.5 lbs/week is too aggressive at this point. You should consider bumping it down to 1lb/week, and then probably .5/week as you get even closer to your goal.
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    I have been drinking Shakeology with whey protien during the day and it's wonderful after my workout. full of nutrients and of course protein. The shake comes to about 190 calories to 220 depending if I add anything. sometimes I add fruit. I don't eat back all my burned calories but 50% to 65% I'm guessing.
  • riy_att007
    riy_att007 Posts: 11
    I'm pretty sure I've heard carbs pre workout for the energy and protein post workout to help rebuild muscle ;p
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    I believe MFP increases your calorie target to account for exercise calories and breaks the macro's down in the same ratio established in your goals.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    If you are strictly talking about a post workout meal, many of the books I have read on the subject think that meal should be only protein and simple carbs with no fat. Especially if that workout was intense. A good rule of thumb for that meal is to take your bodyweight in kg. Eat that many grams of carbs and half that many grams of protein. There are a lot of post-workout shakes on the market or you could have a small piece of chicken breast and a handful of raisins. You have a post -workout window of about 30 minutes for that meal.

Other sites I have read is that your post-workout meal should be the largest of the day. The common ground I have found in most places is to have most of your carbs for the day in your one or two post-workout meals.