Help me transition from elliptical to running!

Options
Right now I'm doing the elliptical for 30-40 minutes three or four times a week. Eventually I would like to transition into running to give myself more exercise options outside of the gym. I like the elliptical because it is gentler on my knees. Once I lose another 30 lbs I'd like to try running again to see how it feels (plus, it will be far cooler outside as well). Maybe running will never be a good exercise for me, but maybe it will.

Has anyone made a transition from elliptical to running, and if so, can you give me some pointers? How is the transition? Did you do anything to support your knees from the transition from a pretty low impact exercise to running?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Try splitting your timing in half and be careful of those knees i know the pain but still run when not hurting.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    short slow runs to start. you can try a beginners running program. I've used c25k and b210k but i see some apps like runkeeper and runtastic also have training programs for beginners

you can try using braces or tape to help support your knees. strength training and stretching will also help keep the knees healthy. also if they hurt, take a rest, ice, compress, and elevate (r.i.c.e.)
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!

I've been using strength training for about three weeks to try and strengthen my right knee. I got some tips from a PT I work with. So I'm trying to strengthen my upper legs and the muscles surrounding the knees to take pressure off of the actual knee. I've noticed some improvement in these three weeks so I'm going to stick with what I'm doing for now.

I just actually took a short jog around my elementary school to prevent a student from leaving the building. I didn't know I was going to get this much cardio in while working! ;)
  • rumrunner91
    rumrunner91 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @gaelicstorm26 When I started jogging again my knees were really hurting so I took a friend's advice and tried barefoot running. I tried it for a few weeks and realised that the pain in my knees was pretty much gone. I put it down to the fact that barefoot running forced me to run on the balls of my feet.

I'm not sure of the science behind any of this, I'm just letting you know what worked for me. I swapped out my sneakers for a more minimalist pair so that there was no cushy heel bit to fall back on. I focus on landing on the balls of my feet with every stride. It definitely takes more focus when you're going slowly because when I'm sprinting I find it's very natural to not use my heels at all.

Good luck with your transition off the elliptical - remember to wear always wear reflectors in the evening! :smile:

P.S. Running this way really strengthens your calves - they will look awesome!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I used to decide to start running and go the no pain no gain route and do three miles two days in a row. Well you guessed it, my knees hurt so bad I decided I can't run and just walked. I started playing a GPS game Ingress (ingress.com) that has you moving from portal to portal to attack the other team. As I started to run short distances to play faster I kept adding more running time without thinking about it. This escalated until I was running about 7 miles a day, and my knees felt great. It also helped me lose 50 pounds too. I am now a runner and try to run 25 miles a week. No knee pain and two half marathons under my belt. Start very slow with some intervals of running mixed in with fast walking. As you transition to just running keep the mileage down and add a small amount as you built some fitness and get accustomed to it. Don't do it if it causes a lot of pain and give your self some recovery days. Get fitted at a running store for some really good running shoes and start having fun. I hate treadmills and being indoors. Get a running app too so you can track your runs and calories burned, I use RunTastic. Good luck!
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The absolute most important thing is to insure you are running with proper shoes. It doesn't make a difference on the elliptical but if you are running in a shoe that isn't right for you, it will for sure negatively impact your running experience. I would strongly suggest going to a GOOD running store (not a big box store but a specialty running store) and be properly fitted for shoes before you try to make the switch. A good store will analyze your gait and help fit you with the right type shoe for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I would just do something like a C25K program.

make sure you get to a running store to get properly fitted for shoes.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would just do something like a C25K program.

make sure you get to a running store to get properly fitted for shoes.

^^^^^^ This.

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    cyndit1 wrote: »
    The absolute most important thing is to insure you are running with proper shoes. It doesn't make a difference on the elliptical but if you are running in a shoe that isn't right for you, it will for sure negatively impact your running experience. I would strongly suggest going to a GOOD running store (not a big box store but a specialty running store) and be properly fitted for shoes before you try to make the switch. A good store will analyze your gait and help fit you with the right type shoe for you.

Yes!!! This is key! When I first started running (years ago), I got some cute Nike's that looked like they had good cushion, but my feet got shredded as soon as I upped my pace (my blisters had blisters!). I went to a proper running store for a fitting and paid twice as much for shoes that look "practical" at best, but I can run now! :smile:
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you are okay to run -- if your knees aren't going to cause imbalances and more complications... I would focus on taking very short, quick and "even" strides.

I would condition your gastrocnemius to avoid shin splints --lots of dips from a step. Also heel walks or heel to toe walks.

I would condition your hips with static lunges, leg raises/swings...

And shoes. Also SuperFeet insoles are excellent.
  • anjeden
    anjeden Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great advice from all. Hamstring curls--strengthen the back of your legs--great for supporting your knees. Make sure to keep your pelvic girdle well stretched--you can start that now!
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great tips guys!

And I promise that before I run I will get fitted at a real running store for shoes and if I have knee pain I'll stop and resume low-impact activities until I can get it evaluated by a doctor.
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    anjeden wrote: »
    Great advice from all. Hamstring curls--strengthen the back of your legs--great for supporting your knees. Make sure to keep your pelvic girdle well stretched--you can start that now!

Right now I'm doing leg extensions, calf press, leg press, and seated leg curls to try and strengthen and prepare my knees. Any suggestions of other exercises to add?