First time losing weight WITH a gym program - losing less lbs

Options
Hi folks

I have lost weight before using Weight Watchers and cardio (walking, cycling, some running) but never used weights.
My kids are now a few years old and I joined a gym so I could get some help getting strong again - I carried twins to term and it did a number on me! Then just eating whatever I could grab didn't help...

Anyway, I believe I am seeing results with a change to my physical appearance moreso than the scales. I'm working my way up to using more free weights but need to be careful due to a questionable back so I mostly use machines and dumbells. I alternate between cardio and weights sessions, and have 2 rest days a week. I even stepped up to 25kgs on the lat pulldown (2x 12 reps) this week!
My weights program takes me a good 45 mins, does most of the body and leaves me feeling a bit jelly-like at the end with no serious pains the next day.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with being actually 'fit and strong', and have only ever tried to be 'lighter'. The whole idea is messing with my head. I saw some friends on the weekend who said I looked like I had lost a bunch of weight, where in fact I have only lost about 5lbs since I saw her last. I am 5'10', female, broad build and currently weighing about 217lb.

I don't take measurements, I can't ever get it right - but my gym will do it for me every 8 weeks when they reassess my program.

... Is this how it should be? I am getting 'reshaped' before I even lost much weight?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's great that youre doing weights and seeing visible changes!! Isn't that what it's all about? Sometimes the inches come off faster and sometimes the pounds do. It might even change up at different points during your journey. Dont worry about it, it's all good.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Well done you!
    Visible changes can happen before scale changes, so don't worry.
    Progressive weight training will help you retain your LBM, and continue to reshape your body as you lose the fat.
    Win, win.

Cheers, h.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    carlyp79 wrote: »
    Hi folks

I have lost weight before using Weight Watchers and cardio (walking, cycling, some running) but never used weights.
    My kids are now a few years old and I joined a gym so I could get some help getting strong again - I carried twins to term and it did a number on me! Then just eating whatever I could grab didn't help...

Anyway, I believe I am seeing results with a change to my physical appearance moreso than the scales. I'm working my way up to using more free weights but need to be careful due to a questionable back so I mostly use machines and dumbells. I alternate between cardio and weights sessions, and have 2 rest days a week. I even stepped up to 25kgs on the lat pulldown (2x 12 reps) this week!
    My weights program takes me a good 45 mins, does most of the body and leaves me feeling a bit jelly-like at the end with no serious pains the next day.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with being actually 'fit and strong', and have only ever tried to be 'lighter'. The whole idea is messing with my head. I saw some friends on the weekend who said I looked like I had lost a bunch of weight, where in fact I have only lost about 5lbs since I saw her last. I am 5'10', female, broad build and currently weighing about 217lb.

I don't take measurements, I can't ever get it right - but my gym will do it for me every 8 weeks when they reassess my program.

... Is this how it should be? I am getting 'reshaped' before I even lost much weight?

Exercise is for fitness goals. Especially since it looks like you are focusing on strength training, this will make you stronger and help maintain or even build muscle. However, unless you change what and how much you eat, nothing will happen rearding weight.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You are doing perfectly, well done :)
    Measurements are the main factor here and probably the most reliable tracking method.
    Wishing you the best of luck as you go forward!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't matter so much as your percent as bodyfat. That's really what you should be watching. :)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are doing things correctly.
    It really comes down to goals. Weight loss can be attained with simply cleaning up ones diet.
    Overall wellness, strength, and body shaping requires a program like you are presently on.
    Good luck. Congrats on progress so far. Compliments are the best motivator!
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you, it's very reassuring feedback. I'm making sure I take a progress shot every few weeks to help me get my head around it.
    Some clothes are getting looser, for sure.
    This week I lost 2lb, increased some weights in my workout and survived the 20 min run in Couch to 5k - it's a blazing success!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track!!! Everytime you lose weight you lose fat and muscle, resistance training will help you to preserve some muscle while you lose fat. This gives you the look that most of us want. Trust the process it works. Weight loss with soley deficit and cardio leaves with less lean muscle and if you regain any weight, it's typically predominantly fat which makes it harder to lose the next go around.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hi folks

Exercise is for fitness goals. Especially since it looks like you are focusing on strength training, this will make you stronger and help maintain or even build muscle. However, unless you change what and how much you eat, nothing will happen rearding weight.

Agree - especially the bold.

Don't take this as discouraging you from backing down on the gym work - quite the contrary. But if you're looking to see more change in "the scales" you're going to need to more closely examine your food intake than what you're doing in the gym.
  • AdmireDeVoll
    AdmireDeVoll Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Google a picture of 5 pounds of fat compared to 5 pounds of muscle. That'll make you feel better . I've also recently started strength training and cardio at the gym and even though I've only lost 5 pounds I can tell I'm making progress NY the way my body feels
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    155-lbs-before-and-after.jpg

Five-pounds-of-fat-compared-to-five-pounds-of-muscle.jpg
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Kshama2001, you look great.
    I recognise the first photo all too well, and your 2nd would inspire me to get back to my winter gym routine, if I hadn't already started it in Tuesday.
    Even though I love my body, I wish I had the dedication to achieve what you have.

Cheers, h.
    Sorry for the hijack to shower praise.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    When I was lifting, I would only show significant weight drops on weeks that I didn't lift. When you lift, you create micro tears in your muscle, which then fill with more muscle, which is good, but in the meantime, your muscles hold onto water in order to repair themselves (fill in the tears). So, while your body is changing and getting smaller/more fit, you won't see the scales drop the same as with straight cardio.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Kshama2001, you look great.
    I recognise the first photo all too well, and your 2nd would inspire me to get back to my winter gym routine, if I hadn't already started it in Tuesday.
    Even though I love my body, I wish I had the dedication to achieve what you have.

Cheers, h.
    Sorry for the hijack to shower praise.

That's not me; that's a picture I found when looking for the 5 # of fat vs 5 # of muscle picture :)
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Blushes on other post k.
  • nikki_m87
    nikki_m87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your doing exactly right. The scales are just a number
    I recently followed a hiit/ weights programme at home the scales buged about 5lb max in 90 days however I lost 5 inches off my waist along with other inches all over.
    Throw the scales and do the measurements at the gym and take regular photos.

However if your doing weight lifting program make sure you are fueling your body correctly, weights are intensive and need calories to build muscle and burn fat.

• carlyp79
    Options
    Thanks again for more contributions, it's very much appreciated. I am eating at a deficit but I do eat some of the exercise cals back if it's a very busy day.
    I suppose I am more used to focusing on the scales, the 'number' I am aiming for - and following what I know was a good weight for me previously. BUT I have never done strength training before, so it's really a curious journey as to what my body will do in terms of fat loss and muscles etc. I am not doing anything really heavy, just a basic 'all body' (So my trainer calls it) workout along with the C25K program on the days I don't use the weights.
    I can look a bit strange and lanky (in my opinion) when I am in the healthy weight range for my height, so I suspect that when I previously lost around 60lb a bunch of muscle went with it. These are all things that I am learning as I go...
    I think that the idea of not relying on the scales alone is what left me feeling a bit lost - but then I did struggle a bit not using the old weight watchers points system! Once again, it is about education for me as forearmed is forewarned as they say.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks again for more contributions, it's very much appreciated. I am eating at a deficit but I do eat some of the exercise cals back if it's a very busy day.
    I suppose I am more used to focusing on the scales, the 'number' I am aiming for - and following what I know was a good weight for me previously. BUT I have never done strength training before, so it's really a curious journey as to what my body will do in terms of fat loss and muscles etc. I am not doing anything really heavy, just a basic 'all body' (So my trainer calls it) workout along with the C25K program on the days I don't use the weights.
    I can look a bit strange and lanky (in my opinion) when I am in the healthy weight range for my height, so I suspect that when I previously lost around 60lb a bunch of muscle went with it. These are all things that I am learning as I go...
    I think that the idea of not relying on the scales alone is what left me feeling a bit lost - but then I did struggle a bit not using the old weight watchers points system! Once again, it is about education for me as forearmed is forewarned as they say.

If your profile is correct and you need to lose 20 kg, do you need to lose this to get e.g. to the lower healthy BMI or to just a good range? If it is the first, then yes, do not get obsessed with the scales, you might be happy at a higher number. If it is the second, then scales matter, you are not going to convert 20 kgs of fat to 20 kgs of muscle and you are not going to add a ton of muscle while losing fat either. You might end up happy at 15 kgs lost for example, but will will not be happy with just recomp and zero weight loss.
  • GeddesFit
    GeddesFit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym for 3 months now and I've lost 32 lbs and I do weights 3 times a week. Eating at a caloric deficit is all it takes. I want to tone and shape so I'm doing weights with a little bit of cardio as well
  • carlyp79
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

If your profile is correct and you need to lose 20 kg, do you need to lose this to get e.g. to the lower healthy BMI or to just a good range? If it is the first, then yes, do not get obsessed with the scales, you might be happy at a higher number. If it is the second, then scales matter, you are not going to convert 20 kgs of fat to 20 kgs of muscle and you are not going to add a ton of muscle while losing fat either. You might end up happy at 15 kgs lost for example, but will will not be happy with just recomp and zero weight loss.

Thanks for taking the time to nut this out a bit. I know BMI can be a bit sketchy but I am aiming for the top end of the healthy range for my height.
    As I say, I think I look a bit weirdly proportioned once I hit anything below 74kg - but I have never done any kind of strengthening/weight training before so I may well be better off at a higher weight. I just don't know. I am used to watching the scales as a guide to make sure my calorie intake is right - to make sure I'm on the right track and not overestimating my exercise cals etc.
    The first few weeks I started at the gym I gained incrementally (about 1-2kg) and then I had a 1.5 kg loss. The next week was 300g loss. The week after that was 900g. So looking back, there's no lack in a downward trend thus far.
    I guess I am still figuring out what is sustainable for me - I do have a lot of fat to lose, this I know. And while it's a lifelong venture, I only have a 6 month gym membership so I am trying to set myself up to be able to continue some kind of training regime once that time passes while getting the biggest bang for my buck while I DO have the gym available.

I just want to be reasonably fit and capable while within a healthy weight range. I would be the first person in my family to achieve that, sadly.

I'm sorry, I've wandered off a bit. I hadn't considered setting a slightly higher base weight goal until now, so I might set myself a goal of 80kg (instead of 76kg) and see what happens. :-)