Can not seem to lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This is what I did. (Only my opinion and a dietician I was sent to.) Use olive oil as your cooking oil and as your salad dressing. For whatever reason, olive oil makes a person fuller. Then, I eat low carb and that includes sugar. I increased my protein by adding in two cups of whey protein daily with just water. It takes like a milkshake.
    So in the end, the kind of fat seems to matter and the increase in protein means you're fuller all day. The carbs just turn into straight fat in my body so I see constant improvements as I go along. In the last three weeks, I've lost two inches off my waist and one off my hips plus so far 26 pounds since the beginning of July. I do swim a lot but until I did the above, it really didn't matter. Good luck in your weight loss journey. Don't be afraid to play around with the macros at the bottom or to try new things.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    rwhyte12 wrote: »
    This is what I did. (Only my opinion and a dietician I was sent to.) Use olive oil as your cooking oil and as your salad dressing. For whatever reason, olive oil makes a person fuller. Then, I eat low carb and that includes sugar. I increased my protein by adding in two cups of whey protein daily with just water. It takes like a milkshake.
    So in the end, the kind of fat seems to matter and the increase in protein means you're fuller all day. The carbs just turn into straight fat in my body so I see constant improvements as I go along. In the last three weeks, I've lost two inches off my waist and one off my hips plus so far 26 pounds since the beginning of July. I do swim a lot but until I did the above, it really didn't matter. Good luck in your weight loss journey. Don't be afraid to play around with the macros at the bottom or to try new things.

Yes, fat (olive oil is a fat) is satiating, but on it's own it doesn't have any magical weight-loss properties. No, carbs don't turn to fat any differently or faster than any other macro-only a surplus in calories can do that. Yes, Protein is pretty satiating also. Moral of the story: as long as you're eating at a deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for all replies. I have been tracking everything but for the oils I cooked with. I will buy a scale tomorrow! You are right eyeballing it must not be working and I was not eating all the 1200 calories because I was leaving 100-200 calories In case I was off in my calculations. i will try to open up my dairy for when I ask for help! You guys are the BEST! I thank you for your encouragement. You guys made me want to walk three miles! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Oils are calorie dense, so they could easily be taking you well over the 100-200 calories you are leaving for yourself. Additionally, eyeballing is typically very inaccurate. The two of these in combination can easily remove any calorie deficit you believe you have. Tighten up your logging, you will be surprised! Best wishes.
  • RMCottonRPh
    RMCottonRPh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself in the morning on an empty stomach, naked after you have went pee and maybe #2? If not, your may have lost and not know it because weight fluctuates throughout the day.
  • CynthiaCS68
    CynthiaCS68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did weigh in the morning just like you said. I do use olive oil only. But I will do the whey protein like you do. How much water? I am hoping that once I get my scale it will be better. Guys I can't tell you Hiw much I appreciate your replies and advise.
    Cynthia

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I did weigh in the morning just like you said. I do use olive oil only. But I will do the whey protein like you do. How much water? I am hoping that once I get my scale it will be better. Guys I can't tell you Hiw much I appreciate your replies and advise.
    Cynthia

You don't need to add anything to your food like protein powder unless you are lacking in it. you've already said you aren't losing weight, why would you add a calorie source? Just buy a food scale and weigh all of your solid foods, and log them. Keep to your calorie deficit carefully, including your oils, and you will be fine.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Additional thoughts, you may be retaining water for any number of reasons, and that is hiding some of the actual pounds you've lost.

Personally, I experienced this throughout my weight loss. I would eat and work out consistently, and the scale would. not. budge. For 2-3 weeks sometimes even a month. Then I would drop 2-4 pounds seemingly overnight. Sometimes it can take your body a while to catch up to what you are doing. Over time (almost a year) I lost exactly 1 pound a week, just as predicted.

Keep your chin up. Keep working out and eating well. Start weighing your food, and be diligent in your logging. The pounds will come off.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    Additional thoughts, you may be retaining water for any number of reasons, and that is hiding some of the actual pounds you've lost.

Personally, I experienced this throughout my weight loss. I would eat and work out consistently, and the scale would. not. budge. For 2-3 weeks sometimes even a month. Then I would drop 2-4 pounds seemingly overnight. Sometimes it can take your body a while to catch up to what you are doing. Over time (almost a year) I lost exactly 1 pound a week, just as predicted.

Keep your chin up. Keep working out and eating well. Start weighing your food, and be diligent in your logging. The pounds will come off.

Water retention would not last for a month. OP would be seeing fluctuations in her weight if this were the case.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    MissJay75 wrote: »

Water retention would not last for a month. OP would be seeing fluctuations in her weight if this were the case.
    It could be if there were different reasons for the water retention. If she was had muscle repair water retention, followed by TOM, followed by some high sodium days. And I did say some of the pounds. Maybe she's only losing 1/2 a pound a week because of measuring/logging error. And maybe that pound and a half is hidden in water weight fluctuations. *Shrug*
  • tinaawatson
    tinaawatson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello I am Tina I trying to lose also but can't some inches maybe its the type of food I eat rather then the amount .does any one have any good recipe to help lose i am burn out on alot I eat .
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Hello I am Tina I trying to lose also but can't some inches maybe its the type of food I eat rather then the amount .does any one have any good recipe to help lose i am burn out on alot I eat .

It is 100% the amount you eat.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter whether you weigh in the morning or the evening- just pick one and stick with it. I have always weighed weekly, usually sun evening.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If the ticker on your profile is right, you're just trying to lose 13 pounds. You shouldn't try losing 2 per week with that little, and MFP will never tell you to eat less than 1200. So depending on your stats, 1200 might just be a 1 pound per week loss or even less, even though you told it you want to lose 2.
    And that could be masked by water weight.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Cynthia,

First, yes, you are likely eating at or just below maintenance calories due to eyeballing portions and the scale will help fix that. But, you might not be as much off as you might think.

Your profile says you have only 13 lbs to go. Are you at or close to a healthy weight? If you are, and you've set MFP for 2 lbs per wk loss then the predictions are going to be WAY off.

MFP won't set you lower than 1200 cals - and it shouldn't. If you are close to or at a healthy weight and not very active, it is extremely unlikely that a target of 1200 cals means you've got a 1000 cal deficit (required for 2 lbs/wk loss). It's probably more like 500 cal or less. You can figure that out by seeing what MFP tells you to eat to maintain. Compare that to 1200 cals. You need 500 cals / day deficit for every lb / wk loss. Once you know your actual deficit, you can adjust your expectations to suit.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's not what you're eating, it's how many calories it contains. Eat whatever you like as long as you stay close to your calorie goal every day.

If you aren't losing weight, you aren't eating less calories than you're burning. It's almost always that simple. Be sure you are weighing as much of you're food as you can with a kitchen scale to verify portions. Be sure you are logging absolutely everything you eat. That includes the oils you use to cook with, your vitamins and gum.