not loosing pounds but loosing inches ?!?

Options
Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice really. I've stuck to my diet well this week and any naughty treats have been earned through exercise. Before MFP I didn't do any exercise at all (other than work full time and run around after the children) and now am cycling and walking daily. I've noticed this week however that I haven't lost any weight at all but have lost 1.5 inches from my hip measurement. Can anyone explain ?

Replies

• MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more then fat, so if you gained muscle, it may offset the loss of fat. So that is why your waist may be thinner, yet you weigh the same.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    in before teh "muscle weighs the same as fat" nazis!
  • littlemisschunky
    littlemisschunky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So does Muscle weigh more than fat ? my Doctor said it didn't !
  • MellowGa
    Options
    well, did you ever hear the joke what weighs mor a 100 pounds of Bricks or a 100 pounds of feathers? well a 100 pounds is a hundred pounds right? But you would ahve fewer bricks then you would with feather...you would ahve a whole lot of feathers right?

well same thing, Muscle is "leaner" weight ie the bricks in this case, the Fat would be the feathers.

a pound is a pound, but leaner muscle would weaigh the same as a bigger size of fat.....

so that is why you can lose 1.5 inches off your waist but still weigh the same.
  • littlemisschunky
    littlemisschunky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I see so its about volume. Fat takes up more volume that muscle which is why i'm changing shape but not weight, thanks. Was feeling quite de-motivated about staying the same weight !
  • MellowGa
    Options
    nope you are doing fine, just keep moving forward, eating better and exercising, it's along process, don't get discouraged
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. I've lost a total of 3 inches from my waist and 4 from my hips but I weigh the same. I do a fair amount of exercise. I'm hoping that the weight will come off, but I am just happy to see a difference in my body. Good luck!! You'll get there and just remember you're getting fitter!!