Do I need the gym

Options
I'm trying to get back on track after gaining back the entire 25lbs I lost last year :( my goal is to lose 30-35lbs while getting toned and eventually gaining some muscle. When I lost weight before i lost some of behind and j don't want that this time. So, I want to focus less on cardio and more on strength training. My question is do I need more than the set of Dumbbells and kettlebell that I have at home to see results? Should I get the dreaded 2 year gym membership (I hate contracts )

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    That would really depend on the weights you have at home. For right now, I'd say you can do without the gym. Start with body weight exercises and add the weights you have so that you're progressively lifting heavier as the weights get easier. When you reach the point that the weights you have are no longer a challenge, then look into a gym.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym membership. You won't build much, if any, muscle while trying to lose weight. You want to lose fat while maintaining muscle. To do that, eat at a deficit and lift weights. If you want to build muscle you'll need to eat at maintenance or a small surplus, you can do that after you lose the weight and then cut again for better results.

However, the dumbbells and kettlebell may or may not cut it. Find a beginner weight lifting routine with progressively increasing weights that you can do at home that you'll stick to. Make sure it is a program aimed at beginners (they should say they are). This could be a dumbbell routine or a bodyweight routine.

Here is a website for bodyweight routines - https://fitloop.co/routines/bwf-recommended-beginner-routine
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    You don't need an outside gym, create your own inside gym (dumbbells, exercise ball, jump rope, etc.). I have my own gym at home, for when I can't make it to the gym. I just joined a gym last year, well, I've joined the exercise room last year. I've been a member of the gym - free indoor walking. I haven't been to the gym in a while, due to my work schedule and personal schedule, but I will get back there soon. Check your library to see if they have weight lifting dvds that you can check out. If they don't, see if they can get you some from another library. You can do this. Baby steps is the key and Patience is the key.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Google, or Bing, body weight exercises and see if that is to your liking. Your body can be your gym. Just use gravity and movement.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    a gym is not always needed depending on your goals. i hope to avoid the gym and work on body weight exercises.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym! It's more fun to be outside pulling and pushing yourself. There are so many full body routines with Dumbbells and Kettlebells. A couple are dumbbell plank rows and single-arm kettlebell swings. Up the weights as it gets easier. Also bodyweight (TRX) suspension work is challenging. Play tennis. Run the highschool bleachers (you may learn lots of different workouts from others here).
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your equipment & your starting strength. If the dumbbells you have are too light you'd hate to waste time spinning your wheels, so you would probably benefit by either adding to your set, or joining the gym.

I started with this full body dumbbell workout. And after a while, to change things up, switched to a split routine.

We have a set of Bowflex SelectTech weights that are adjustable from 5 to 50 lbs. So I don't worry about maxing out on them. Ever. But they are large and cumbersome for me and I know some movements, squats specifically, are hindered as a result. That said, I've had noticeable results (strength & shape) from the above routines.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    tjsims88 wrote: »
    I'm trying to get back on track after gaining back the entire 25lbs I lost last year :( my goal is to lose 30-35lbs while getting toned and eventually gaining some muscle. When I lost weight before i lost some of behind and j don't want that this time. So, I want to focus less on cardio and more on strength training. My question is do I need more than the set of Dumbbells and kettlebell that I have at home to see results? Should I get the dreaded 2 year gym membership (I hate contracts )

You can do just fine getting started working out at home. You'll just miss out heavy squats and deadlifts which really should be the core of anyone's routine.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You CAN do just fine on your own, but WILL you?
  • nordlead2005
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Google, or Bing, body weight exercises and see if that is to your liking. Your body can be your gym. Just use gravity and movement.

But whatever you do, don't use Yahoo search!!
  • pondee629
    Options

I guess you could, but, "google" has become the term meaning on-line search. I have yet to hear someone say "yahoo search" that. But, you could.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

I guess you could, but, "google" has become the term meaning on-line search. I have yet to hear someone say "yahoo search" that. But, you could.

You could always just ask jeeves...

• nordlead2005
    Options

haha, well I just thought it was funny you also called out Bing instead of just leaving it at google :smiley:
  • pondee629
    Options
    I always add Bing. Just a soft spot for the little brother. I use Bing almost exclusively just to be different. I also like it more for no real reason. :-)