Am I on the right track?

Options
130by2016
130by2016 Posts: 5 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have always been an extreme calorie cutter when it comes to dieting or trying to eat right in the past. But as we all know, that has gotten me nowhere because you always eventually end up gaining back what you've lost once you start eating normal again. This time I'm really making an effort to keep up the amount of calories that I ea while making overall better choices. I was just wondering if anyone could look at my meal plan for the day and let me know if I'm on the right track because, I'll be honest, this looks like a ton of food to me so I'm not sure I'm the best judge right now. I'm not 100% on what I'm going to be having for lunch, but snack / dinner / dessert is planned because it's what I'll be taking to work with me.

Any feedback is appreciated.

breakfast
1 c. berry blend tea
1 c. homemade cold brew coffee
3 tbsp coffeemate chocolate chip cookie coffee creamer
1 scrambled egg white
1 tsp butter
1 slice whole wheat bread

lunch
tbd, probably a protein shake and homemade chicken salad

snack
single serving sabra original hummus
1/2 c. peeled cucumber

dinner
2 c. 50/50 salad mix
2 tbsp grated carrot
2 tbsp shredded mozzarella
1.5 hard boiled egg white
2 tbsp ranch dressing
2 gardein 7 grain chick’n tenders

dessert
medium organic cripps pink apple
2 tbsp peanut butter
30 chocolate chips

If you're wondering, this is about 1,100 calories, not counting lunch.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    130by2016 wrote: »
    So I have always been an extreme calorie cutter when it comes to dieting or trying to eat right in the past.

If you're wondering, this is about 1,100 calories, not counting lunch.

If it's only 1100 calories I can almost guarantee that it's far too of an extreme cut in calories.

If this is a significant increase in what you have done in the past, I weep to think what you were subjecting to yourself previously.

What's your current height, weight & activity level?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    This seems a little extreme to me, especially without more details. How much do you have to lose? What is your daily calorie goal? Do you plan on exercising? If so, do you plan on eating some or all of your exercise calories back?
  • 130by2016
    Options
    Sorry I guess I should have provided more information. I'm 5'7", 153 pounds. I don't necessarily believe I will be able to lose 23 pounds by the end of the year, it was just a catchy name and a lofty goal. Just throwing that out there.

I try to exercise at least three times a week, I do some yoga or stretching daily. I primarily use a stationary bike, but I'm working on running again after I broke my femur a year and a half ago. I also work ~30 hours a week as a cashier in addition to going to school.

I honestly have always had issues when it came to food be it extreme restriction or overeating. So while my goal is to lose weight, my ultimate goal with all of this is to correct those behaviors.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

I honestly have always had issues when it came to food be it extreme restriction or overeating. So while my goal is to lose weight, my ultimate goal with all of this is to correct those behaviors.

If you're only eating 1,100 calories you're not correcting those behaviors. And exercising on top of that just adds to the extreme restricting. Maybe you should see a therapist to help you with your ED.
  • 130by2016
    Options

If you're only eating 1,100 calories you're not correcting those behaviors. And exercising on top of that just adds to the extreme restricting. Maybe you should see a therapist to help you with your ED.

Whoa. Slow your roll. I do not have an ED. I'm actually waaaay better than I used to be thankyouverymuch. That's 1,100 calories BEFORE whatever I eat for lunch which will probably take me to around 1,500 more or less, and I'm not planning on doing cardio today because I have an 8 hour shift later. So before you start telling strangers they have a mental illness, you should probably get more information.

Also, since everyone's all "1,200 calories is the magic number," why would eating 100 calories less be considered a bad thing? It's 100 calories.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with the foods you're eating. Just throw in some ice cream or a couple tbs of peanut butter or a handful of nuts. Just to pad your calories a bit, because you really do need, at minimum, 100-200 more calories than what you're proposing.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Whoa. Slow your roll. I do not have an ED. I'm actually waaaay better than I used to be thankyouverymuch. That's 1,100 calories BEFORE whatever I eat for lunch which will probably take me to around 1,500 more or less, and I'm not planning on doing cardio today because I have an 8 hour shift later. So before you start telling strangers they have a mental illness, you should probably get more information.

Also, since everyone's all "1,200 calories is the magic number," why would eating 100 calories less be considered a bad thing? It's 100 calories.

So what is your calorie goal?

There isn't any reason to get offended. People are responding to what you have written here -- which is that you have a history of "extreme restriction" or "overeating." Maybe you don't think of those things as being associated with EDs, but that is what it means for many of us here (including those who have/had EDs).

If you have to ask why it would be a bad thing for someone with a history of "extreme restriction" to eat less than the minimum calories recommended for her health and wellbeing, step back and think about it. If your ultimate goal is to correct your "extreme restriction," shouldn't your goal to be consume the calories recommended for wellness?
  • 130by2016
    edited September 2015
    Options

There isn't any reason to get offended. People are responding to what you have written here -- which is that you have a history of "extreme restriction" or "overeating." Maybe you don't think of those things as being associated with EDs, but that is what it means for many of us here (including those who have/had EDs).

If you have to ask why it would be a bad thing for someone with a history of "extreme restriction" to eat less than the minimum calories recommended for her health and wellbeing, step back and think about it. If your ultimate goal is to correct your "extreme restriction," shouldn't your goal to be consume the calories recommended for wellness?

I'm not sure what my calorie goal is atm. MFP tells me 1,200 so okay I'll go with that but my question was more about the contents of what I was eating.

It's easy to snap when someone says, "go see a therapist about your ED" because it feels dismissive and I can FOR SURE tell you that my current situation is nowhere near the extremes of the disordered eating habits I had in the past.

And you're focusing on the extreme restriction part, not the over eating. Both are issues. I'm working on a balancing act here. So, no, if my net calories for the day ended up being 100 calories less then what I'm aiming for, I'm for sure not going to consider that a manifestation of my bad behaviors.
  • 130by2016
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with the foods you're eating. Just throw in some ice cream or a couple tbs of peanut butter or a handful of nuts. Just to pad your calories a bit, because you really do need, at minimum, 100-200 more calories than what you're proposing.

Thank you for your feedback. Like I said, the 1,100 doesn't count lunch so I'll make it to the extra 100-200.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I'm not sure what my calorie goal is atm. MFP tells me 1,200 so okay I'll go with that but my question was more about the contents of what I was eating.

It's easy to snap when someone says, "go see a therapist about your ED" because it feels dismissive and I can FOR SURE tell you that my current situation is nowhere near the extremes of the disordered eating habits I had in the past.

And you're focusing on the extreme restriction part, not the over eating. Both are issues. I'm working on a balancing act here. So, no, if my net calories for the day ended up being 100 calories less then what I'm aiming for, I'm for sure not going to consider that a manifestation of my bad behaviors.

I don't think it is dismissive to suggest that someone who may have a problem consult someone who can help them. This is a helpful board, but we're not qualified to treat EDs (no discussion board is). Getting upset because someone took you at your word about your history of "extreme restriction" and overeating isn't necessary.

I'm not focusing on the restriction at the expense of the overeating. I think they are often feed into each other. Someone who regularly eats less than she requires to maintain her wellbeing (say, under 1,200 calories) is much more prone to binges. So when you ask what is wrong with eating under 1,200 -- well, you could potentially trigger overeating. And those of us who have struggled with restriction in the past often find that undereating will trigger a desire to eat even less.

So if you are interested in addressing both of the issues that you have called out, then eating a sufficient number of calories each day is one of the best ways to do that. Eating enough food will help you balance the desire to undereat OR overeat.

If you don't consider eating less than recommended a manifestation of past behaviors, then I'm not sure anybody here will be able to change your mind about that. So what were you looking for when you asked for advice on your plan, exactly? You said in your OP that you weren't the best judge, but many of your subsequent posts seem to be insisting that you ARE the best judge of your situation and we don't know you.

We don't. But you asked for advice. I'm honestly unsure what you're looking for here.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    What you have show you are eating is fine, nutrition wise, a bit low calorie wise. Eat a good lunch.

I am not sure what loss per week goal you have set on MFP, but if you are looking to lose 23 lb it should be set to lose no more than .5-1 lb a week. This is to ensure you are healthy and not losing too much of your lbm ( lean body mass), muscle.
    Also, log your exercise on mfp and eat back 50-75% of those calories as well.

You can eat and drink anything so long as you eat to your calorie goal. A little under or over is fine, but not 100+ cals.

I am not going to venture into an ED debate as I have no experience.

Cheers, h.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The thing to be careful of: accuracy. You cannot be accurate when using cups for solid foods. So the cups, tbs, etc. should be in grams from using a food scale. Not terribly important if you have a lot of pounds to lose, but the closer you get to goal: the more important accuracy becomes.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Ok, what was probably confusing is you said it came out to 1100 calories, but people missed that you would be adding lunch to that 1100 calories (even if it did say TBD in the list and the note at the bottom).

1200 calories is probably because you set your goal to 2lb/week. It is on the low side, but whatever. Eat 1200 calories + exercise calories of whatever you want. Personally, I'd suggest eating more and losing 23lb over 23 weeks while lifting some weights and if it goes a few weeks longer, oh well. The list you provided looks good enough to me, but I wouldn't eat it because it isn't stuff I like. Also, I'll echo what Staci mentioned. A food scale will be more accurate than counting and cups. That could be 1000 calories or it could be 1200 calories. If it works for you, then great, if it doesn't, then get a scale.
  • mrcole2
    mrcole2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with StaciMarie, in order to track what is going on you need to keep something consistent. Get a scale and weigh foods so you can accurately know how much protein, carbohydrates and fats you are getting. KEEP A LOG OF YOUR WEIGH IN! use 1200 CAL as a starting point and observe what is going on with your weight and appearance. Then you make adjustments to get to your desire. The objective is to eat as much as your metabolism will allow while still loosing weight and getting leaner. this is a process you must fall in love with in order to enjoy the journey...!