Scard to start liftng ... show me your before and afters!

Options
Because it's Thursday, I haven't lost any weight in a year, and I know I need to change things up but my fear of lifting or trying something I might totally suck is becoming a huge brick wall I need to bust through... show me your pics of when you finally decided you wanted to be lean and mean and it was time to start a lifting program! Also... how often do you do cardio whil elifting? Thank you!

Replies

• cindys921
    cindys921 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid. I have been doing stronglifts for about 6 months now and I love it. I have had great results so far but I am still a work in progress. It's such an amazing feeling getting stronger. It makes me feel bad *kitten*!
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Check out http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p43 The women here inspired me to start lifting over a year ago and I haven't regretted it since. I love what it's done for my body. I don't have before and after since I'm not done but I can say give it a try! The only cardio I do now is a 2 mile walk a day.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I was scared myself for a long time but don't be scared, lifting is fun! As far as cardio, I rarely do cardio specific stuff but do crossfit workouts several times a week week which frequently include HIIT type cardio. I run maybe once a week or whenever the mood strikes.vy08c7ioud7t.jpg
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    ^ WOW great results!
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    @Kellyann you look awesome!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    what are you afraid of in RE to lifting? i would recommend reading New Rules of Lifting for Women...even if you don't do the actual program (which is a fairly decent beginner program), it will explain a lot of things and alleviate a lot of your fears and concerns.

in RE to how much cardio to do, etc...this is where separating fitness goals from weight management goals is beneficial. there's no secret formula here...it really is just based on your goals.

for example, at the moment, I only lift 2x weekly as I'm getting ready for a couple of cycling endurance events and spending a lot of time on the bike and cross training with some running...lots of cardio. in the winter I tend to spend more time in the weight room and reduce cardio because I prefer my cardio to be outside on my bike and nice days for riding are harder to come by...I usually make sure I get in at least 3 hours of cardio per week though, just for general cardiovascular health as well as maintaining my fitness base to some extent.
  • DStroyNKonker
    DStroyNKonker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If seeing the before and after of @Kellyann isn't motivation enough... I don't know what else is....
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If seeing the before and after of @Kellyann isn't motivation enough... I don't know what else is....

Wow, thank you all for your kind words!
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't have any before/after pics, nor scale numbers really.. But I can tell you this. I have a ton of health problems, related to insulin and hormones in general. I started just dieting, then added a lot of cardio. The truth is it did help, but I got bored quickly. I switched to lifting and some cardio and I've never felt better. Sure, I can't offer proof and everyone is different, but varying things up is always better for the mind. You could try it with someone at first, maybe a trainer, and then if you like it stick with it :)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    You look great @kellyann!

@MissMissle, I have pics on my profile but never made a choice to start lifting. I was always resistance workouts even if it was light weights and bands in Jazzercise. I guess I got lucky in that the very first gym I joined way back in the day when they showed me around it included the machines. I got into lifting heavy when I was at a point where i had the most weight to lose and joined a women's only gym and a couple of the classes they offered included weights and being that it was a lady's only gym that inspired to start using the weight room there and been a fan ever since. I'm glad I started because I know my body composition would have been different had I waited to lose and then decided to lift weights. Now I mix it up with bootcamp style classes, boxing and lifting. I'm not one of those people that hates cardio.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<< ;)
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I'm always sooo inspired by the women who post their heaving lifting results. I even started training with a trainer back in July to help me. But I still think I'm doing more resistance training and cardio work than anything else. I haven't seen much progress in the weight department (maybe about a 5 lb loss), but everyone has noticed a difference in my physique. So that is encouraging! I wish I could just focus more on heavy lifting though.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't have photos, but I've been lifting free weights for five weeks now, and it was the best decision I ever made. I hired a PT to set me up with a program, and I lift three days per week (different body part each time) so it's not hard to fit that in or stay motivated. My cardio is mostly incidental - if someone is hogging the weights I want then I'll jump on the elliptical or treadmill for ten minutes until they're free again - but besides that it's just incidental stuff like going for hikes on weekends. Plus I do yoga once a week. I have lost barely any weight, but my jeans are looser, and my body composition has definitely changed. Everything is tighter, I am stronger, and it takes more to make me tired. If nothing else, do it for the gains in strength. That's what keeps me going back - being able to see progress in the weight you can lift, even if it's only a kilo or two at a time. It's pretty inspiring stuff. Don't be scared, just start small like me and work your way up.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It IS a little intimidating to walk into the free weight area and not have a class of people dividing attention! I was nervous, too, but I didn't want to be a flabby version of myself at a lower weight. Keeping as much muscle as you can, by challenging those muscles, gives you a nice and tight end result. I posted progress pics on another thread, but I'm dead in the middle of my weight loss so it's not an OMG comparison...YET.

I lost a bunch of inches in those first few months of losing 30ish lbs. It was fantastic and getting into my old clothes again was great motivation. I'm still seeing measurement changes, just not so dramatic. I have 30ish more to lose. I lift 2x a week, yoga 2x, and I'm trying to get motivated to integrate some cardio. I've never been an "I love going to the gym!" person, but I really look forward to my workouts and might get a bit grumpy when I have to miss ;) I love being strong, SO MUCH.

There are a lot of beginner programs to choose from on the net and in books. I chose a pretty simple one that covers the bases and has an app to keep track. It's adaptable, as well. Educate yourself, pick a program, and get strong.
  • kevinumd92
    kevinumd92 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't be afraid to lift! It has so many benefits for both men & women...here's my journey!

mhn320k1f21t.jpg

I also posted here too about my transformation video, here it is if you're interested! (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=apSzvqh6h-s)
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    jodybo2 wrote: »
    Check out http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p43 The women here inspired me to start lifting over a year ago and I haven't regretted it since. I love what it's done for my body. I don't have before and after since I'm not done but I can say give it a try! The only cardio I do now is a 2 mile walk a day.

Thank you I will!

• MissMissle
    Options
    I was scared myself for a long time but don't be scared, lifting is fun! As far as cardio, I rarely do cardio specific stuff but do crossfit workouts several times a week week which frequently include HIIT type cardio. I run maybe once a week or whenever the mood strikes.vy08c7ioud7t.jpg

What an amazing transformation!
  • MissMissle
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    You look great @kellyann!

@MissMissle, I have pics on my profile but never made a choice to start lifting. I was always resistance workouts even if it was light weights and bands in Jazzercise. I guess I got lucky in that the very first gym I joined way back in the day when they showed me around it included the machines. I got into lifting heavy when I was at a point where i had the most weight to lose and joined a women's only gym and a couple of the classes they offered included weights and being that it was a lady's only gym that inspired to start using the weight room there and been a fan ever since. I'm glad I started because I know my body composition would have been different had I waited to lose and then decided to lift weights. Now I mix it up with bootcamp style classes, boxing and lifting. I'm not one of those people that hates cardio.

Thanks - my biggest fear is the self consious thing, finding a womans only gym would actually be great for me I think - I don't even know why, I can't explain it, Im certainly not uncomfortable around men, and god knows us women are way bitchier and judgi-er than men, but i would feel less judged if a woman was showing me what to do...
  • MissMissle
    Options
    kevinumd92 wrote: »
    Hey, don't be afraid to lift! It has so many benefits for both men & women...here's my journey!

mhn320k1f21t.jpg

I also posted here too about my transformation video, here it is if you're interested! (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=apSzvqh6h-s)

Amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!