calorie/step tracking bracelet

Options
Hey all, i have seen a big craze with calorie/step tracking bracelets like fitbits and jawbones etc.
I know hardly anything about them but have 2 questions;
1. Are they any good?
2. What is the best one to purchase? Preferably easy to hook up to mfp etc?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just got my UP24 jawbone and love it. It's really simple and tells me the steps I have taken and hooks up with MFP so I get my kcals eaten and kcals burned. You really want to get those steps in, it makes me move more !
  • benwahbeachs
    benwahbeachs Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much hupsi!!! So it tracks your calories burnt without having to wear a hesrt rate monitor etc? How often do u charge it :-)
  • hupsii
    Options
    Thanks so much hupsi!!! So it tracks your calories burnt without having to wear a hesrt rate monitor etc? How often do u charge it :-)

Yes correct. I have to charge it only once a week and I wear it night and day. It also shows you how well you slept and how much the next day.
  • benwahbeachs
    Options
    THATS AWESOME!! may have to invest :-)
  • hupsii
    Options
    I got it for my birthday but I think it was not so expensive.
  • locoindijane
    locoindijane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry to but in ! What is MFP?
  • benwahbeachs
    Options
    Hey jane.
    Myfitnesspal
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I got the fitbit charge hr for my birthday in july. I love it. It tracks heart rate, stairs, steps, and calories burned...oh and sleep. You can set goals too which is cool. It is a great motivational tool and it also helps you to see trends and patterns. For example, when I don't sleep enough I tend to eat more.
  • dragonfarie
    dragonfarie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have the jawbone up 2. It doesn't have the heart rate monitor on it, but it does track steps, workouts and sleep patterns. I feel it does motivate me to make good decisions. It rates the nutritional value of the food I log in my fitness pal and buzzes if I sit too long at my desk at work (or on my couch after work).
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivosmart with heart rate strap. Syncs with MFP and the strap is more accurate than the wrist based heart rate monitors.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I thought they were all a gimmick!! Then I talked myself into getting a garmin vivofit.

I use the chest HRM (which is surprisingly comfortable). I wear it whenever i exercise, either running, lifting or tennis.

The one thing I've noticed I've got from it, is at the end of a workout if I've burnt 910 cals - I'll get back on something and find that extra 90 from somewhere. Without it I would have just called it a day.

Also I can analysis how quick I am recovering after exercise or between tennis rally's which is useful for me.

The step counter is good as well.

I hear the FItbit with the built in HRM is supposed to be good.
  • hupsii
    Options
    yes, the technology is amazing, reminds of the book I read just recently ...everybody had a smartwatch to improve themselves but it turned out not so great in the end...
  • ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like my jawbone up move because it's a little clip on that doesn't require charging (it uses a flat circular battery that needs replacing every few months) and I don't have to display to the world via a bracelet that I'm tracking my steps. I wear it on my bra on the little part in the middle between the cups ;)

It seems to be accurate and it is a hell of a motivator to take more walks!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have a FitBit One.....not worn on the wrist (I clip it to my bra). I like it. It counts steps, stairs climbed, and tracks sleep. There's no heart rate component, but my (steady state) cardio workouts are step based anyway. HRMs are not terribly accurate for other workouts. I charge it every few days......only takes 2 hours.

The wrist models have a tendency to mis-count steps. Arm movements (or lack of) can throw things off. When you are hanging onto a stroller for example....no steps. Driving in a car....some models count steps.

Here's a link to the FitBit group......several models and lots of info: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I had the FitBit One for years, but I lost it the other day. Immediately went out the next morning and bought another FitBit - I have the Charge now. It is a wrist one. I've only had it since Sunday but it seems to be more accurate than I thought it would be. If anything it seems to undercount steps. I am a big fan of the FitBit - super motivating for me.
  • easybeezy
    easybeezy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ashleesaid wrote: »
    I like my jawbone up move because it's a little clip on that doesn't require charging (it uses a flat circular battery that needs replacing every few months) and I don't have to display to the world via a bracelet that I'm tracking my steps. I wear it on my bra on the little part in the middle between the cups ;)

Does it connect to MFP, or do you log the info yourself?
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge and I love it. It syncs right to MFP and calculates any extra calories burnt by steps.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    easybeezy wrote: »

The activity trackers which sync with MFP (including Fitbit, Jawbone & Misfit) are listed in the Apps tab: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps?app_category=activity_trackers

When you connect your accounts & enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, MFP adjusts your daily calorie goal to TDEE minus deficit.

No need to log any step-based activity. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in your tracker or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your tracker burn during that time.
  • ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    easybeezy wrote: »
    ashleesaid wrote: »

It connects to MFP

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit one. I love it, I think it really motivates me to get up and move around more. I also think it does a good job of telling me my TDEE. Mine is very variable because I'm at school right now and each day I walk a different amount to my classes (campus is HUGE). I also think those weekends where I didn't have to walk around I was extremely sedentary and now I make myself walk around some.

I also like the one cuz it is discrete. I put it in my pocket or clip to my bra. Etsy has nice accessories for it too.