Early morning "snack" before workout

jmschweer
jmschweer Posts: 7
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
I'm looking for some ideas on what to eat before I workout in the morning. I'm hypoglycemic so fruit/ juice/ smoothies aren't an option for me. I need something that I can grab and eat so I can get right to my workout.

My morning routine will probably look like this.
Get up at 5- 5:15
Eat something small
Workout for about an hour
Shower
Breakfast
Go to work.

I might just take breakfast with me to work, I'm not sure how thats going to work out.

TIA for any suggestions!

Replies

• milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    I don't eat a lot. Usually 15 - 20 almonds or a vegan protein shake with a tbsp of natural almond butter. Sometimes I add a tsp of flaxseed powder. I eat a big breakfast after my workout, usually with eggs of some fashion.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    half a english muffin with 1 tbsp of peanut butter.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    If you're working out immediately after eating a small snack, you're not really getting use of that snack anyways. Your body needs a minimum of half an hour before it can start using the food for energy.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    I have pretty much the same AM schedule, but lately I've been having the bulk of my AM calories before my workout and then just a quick protein snack (i.e., cheese stick, hard boiled egg, cottage cheese) afterwards. I'm interested to see what people suggest, though.
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    i do the same thing! i wake up starving, but i cant eat a full breakfast before i work out. i vary it from day to day. but i make a "deviled" egg. i just mush the yolk of hard boiled egg with 2 tsp of light mayo. or i have a 4oz cup of cottage cheese. or some peanut butter on wheat bread. just something small to make my stomach stop yelling at me and satisfy me through my workout. maybe you could just take a snack you would have later in the day and start the morning with it. =)
  • jmschweer
    jmschweer Posts: 7
    If you're working out immediately after eating a small snack, you're not really getting use of that snack anyways. Your body needs a minimum of half an hour before it can start using the food for energy.

I'm not looking at it for energy, more for the use of keeping my stomach from growling the whole time. I don't have an issue with energy in the mornings. Though that might change with working out. My issue is I don't have enough time to fit in a good breakfast and workout before work, and its too hot here at night to workout.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member

I eat at home so by the time I get dressed and to the gym often more than a half an hour has passed. It the best balance between not eating at all and a big meals that I can't keep down because I've worked out without digesting it completely.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    good old fashioned cereal with unsweetened almond milk..(ground flax seed is a nice touch)

you could do either unsweetened oatmeal or a low sugar content cold cereal like rice or wheat puffs..

I usually wait about 20-40 minutes to start cardio after eating, in fact, this week is the first time I have been eating before working out..

I learned that the body will refuse to burn fat cells if we don't eat carbs before a workout, it'll want to burn muscle instead!! OUCH!
  • jpollak
    jpollak Posts: 2
    I eat a Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt before heading to the gym in the morning. The Toasted Coconut flavor is the best! :)
This discussion has been closed.