Can you lose weight by eating indian food???

Options
need help with some Indian diet food ???

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Sure. It's just that many dishes are high calorie so you just have to be sure that you're not over consuming calories. That WILL mean eating much smaller portions. Especially those with coconut milk in them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Sure. But you have to log everything and stick to your calorie deficit. Weigh your meats, semi solids, log all sauces. If you're cooking at home, try the recipe builder. You must make your own entries and not use generic entries.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    No idea but it's friggin delicious! MMMMMM Indian food. Portion control? but good luck with that when it comes to delicious indian food and all the rich sauces...drool!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible, if you cook from scratch. But you do lose some of the flavour by cutting right down on the amount of oil used.
  • mitasuri
    mitasuri Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Do you have Any sample menu by chance
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sure. It's just that many dishes are high calorie so you just have to be sure that you're not over consuming calories. That WILL mean eating much smaller portions. Especially those with coconut milk in them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating anything, you just have to do it in moderation and log your calories. I am currently losing weight eating hot pockets for lunch every day.
  • mitasuri
    Options

I know it's soooo good that's why I need to lose the weight I love food too much :#
    No idea but it's friggin delicious! MMMMMM Indian food. Portion control? but good luck with that when it comes to delicious indian food and all the rich sauces...drool!

• mitasuri
    Options
    Lol really !!!!
  • mitasuri
    Options
    YeA Iam North Indian I am non veg living in USA for long time now... I eat mostly Indian at night I do cook everyday for my family
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Absolutely if you stick to home made Indian food avoiding the butter, and the rich sauces. I am a vegetarian living in U.S for more than 30 years. We eat Indian food for lunch and typically eat salad and soup for dinner all home made.
  • mitasuri
    Options
    Thanks that helps a lot I will try that and I will post my outcome
  • lornacatherine91
    lornacatherine91 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If I cook Indian food I make tomato based sauces instead of cream. I use lots of lentils, chickpeas and spinach so it can be healthy if you choose the right ingredients. A lot of vegetarian and vegan Indian food is low in fat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would. I've never had Indian food that I liked :p
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    One thing you might try, since you say you cook for your family, is taking a meal you frequently cook, and weigh the ingredients as you go along. Next, enter all of those in MFP as a recipe (or individual recipes for each dish, if that makes more sense to you). You do this in the "Recipes" sub-tab of the "Food" tab on MFP. It will ask you for a number of servings each recipe makes; start with the number of servings that would be normal to you for that recipe. Once that's done, you can see whether that recipe is high in calories or not.

If it's high in calories compared to your calorie goal, there are a couple of ways you could go. First, you could simply eat a smaller-than normal serving yourself. For example, if it is 500 calories per serving, you could eat half the normal amount if you want 250 instead.

Second, you could go into the recipe (as if you were going to edit it) and look at each ingredient. Which are adding the most calories? Could you reduce that ingredient, or substitute a less calorie-laden ingredient? If so, you could consider modifying the recipe in that way. Google can help you find lower calorie substitutes for many things, if necessary.

Usually, it's easier to create a sustainable weight loss plan if you find a way of eating that you lets you eat normally on a day-to-day basis, rather than doing something truly radical and different that may be hard to continue permanently. Looking at what you normally cook as described above is quite a bit of effort, but it might help you to gradually reach a sustainable way of cooking & eating that is lower in calories.

Just a thought.