Gluten free pescatarian

Options
Hello,

I've recently become a gluten free pescatarian due to health reasons after 17 years as a pseduo vegan (I eat honey) and have been using myfitnesspal to track my nutrition. It's been a bit of a challenge eliminateing gluten and trying to get enough protein in my diet from tofu and fish and was wondering if there's anyone else out there in a similar boat or that has any advice.

Replies

• dbeamish
    dbeamish Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    beans - lots of them! :)
  • christinaincamo
    Options
    I am trying to eliminate gluten from my diet but it is so hard for me to resist. I have been working with Maria Emmerich http://www.marianutrition.com/ and she has several recipes for things such as protein pancakes, waffles, buns made with protein powder rather than a flour. Some flour substitutes can have more calories and carbs than regular flour so she has been a great resource.

My favorite thing I have added to my diet are the Quest Nutrition bars. They are only available online http://www.questproteinbar.com/ and are not cheap but they are the BEST I have tried. Only 4-5 net carbs and the Vanilla Almond Crunch tastes like cookie dough to me. Also, I love unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk and Coconut Milk.

I see someone mentioned beans and although that may work for some, it's too many carbs for me!
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was an ovo-lacto when I was diagnosed with Celiac almost nine years ago and ended up making the tough personal choice to start to eat some meats again.

I had a pretty bumpy road leading up to my diagnosis, which also resulted in intolerance to both soy and dairy products (both have resolved after several years GF) so I was on a pretty short leash in terms of what I could and could not eat...beans and eggs alone just couldn't cut it. Eating GF is really, really hard in the beginning and the incorporation of meat back into my diet was not easy, but I was so sick, so malnourished (despite being overweight...figure that out!) and so tired that I was willing to do anything it took to get better. For me it is easier to say that I will eat anything as long as it is GF than to say that I can't have wheat, rye, barley, oats, anything that has ever touched them or been cooked with them....oh, and I don't eat anything with meat products either.

I still don't eat a lot of meat (for the most part, it's just nasty!), most often I will log it, pick at it and give half of my meat to the dog, who is happy to help in any way that he can. I find that raw fish (sushi and sashimi) is much easier to stomach than cooked fish, but I still don't get nearly as much protein as I should.....a good sign? Two days ago the most protein rich food I ate all day was peanut butter. (By the way, peanut butter and jelly on rice cakes is fantastic, if you have not discovered it!)

There is a celiac listserv (St. Johns Celiac Listserv Newsgroup, to be specific) that I used to frequent all the time when I was first starting out and they used to have a subsection for vegetarian/vegan celiacs. it is probably worth a look.

If you have not already found them, I also highly recommend Larabars...can be pricy if you don't buy them by the box but they sure are good!