How am I supposed to log my treadmill workout on here when my speed was all over the place?

Options
Ok so I run on the treadmill for an hour. The problem is my speed is all over the place. Yesterday when I ran on the treadmill it said that I burned around 700 calories. Before my workout I simply entered my weight on the screen. Throughout my workout I would check my heart rate on the treadmill from time to time. I might walk for a few minutes (or jog) and then I run for a few minutes. But like how does one track the amount of calories burned or log it into myFitnessPal when your speed varies throughout the entire hour? Also is the calorie counter on these cardio machines pretty accurate? How do I know that I really burned 700 calories on the treadmill and how would I log that to myFitnessPal exercises when my speed was all over the place throughout my workout?

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Treadmills seem
    Accurate in my experience if you enter weight. Accurate compared to my fit bit surge anyway.

So you have the calories from the machine? And that's what you want to enter into mfp?

I don't see the issue, select any of the walking, enter your time then you calories instead of using mfp estimate.

Or do you not have the calories from the treadmill.

I would just pick your average speed. Do you have distance walked/jogged/run and time?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Johnny, those calories are generally overestimated. I suggest logging only about 75%, which would be 525 calories.

I've seen an almost 200 difference between the treadmill reading and my heart rate monitor, with my HRM rendering the lowest reading.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Johnny, those calories are generally overestimated. I suggest logging only about 75%, which would be 525 calories.

I've seen an almost 200 difference between the treadmill reading and my heart rate monitor, with my HRM rendering the lowest reading.

This^^^, and you might want to invest in a fitness tracker such as fitbit etc to get a truer reading. My dreadmill used to give me outstanding calorie burns.... If only they were true :cry:
  • johnnyr24
    johnnyr24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Treadmills seem
    Accurate in my experience if you enter weight. Accurate compared to my fit bit surge anyway.

So you have the calories from the machine? And that's what you want to enter into mfp?

I don't see the issue, select any of the walking, enter your time then you calories instead of using mfp estimate.

Or do you not have the calories from the treadmill.

I would just pick your average speed. Do you have distance walked/jogged/run and time?

I'll have to try that then. I wasn't keeping track of anything other than the calories the treadmill said I burned and my total time running on it which was just over an hour. I'll have to keep track of my my average speed and the distance it says I walked I wasn't paying much attention I'll have to check into that then.

• johnnyr24
    Options

Well this is good to know I wasn't sure because I just see the machine adding up my calories for an hours worth of running all I know is it said close to 700 burned so I figured the machines must know what they are estimating and how they got to that number but I'll keep this in mind so I don't over estimate them then.
  • johnnyr24
    Options

This^^^, and you might want to invest in a fitness tracker such as fitbit etc to get a truer reading. My dreadmill used to give me outstanding calorie burns.... If only they were true :cry:

Never heard of fitbit. I am guessing this is a calorie counting watch? I will be sure to look into this anything that can help me make sure I have an accurate count would be good.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    johnnyr24 wrote: »

Never heard of fitbit. I am guessing this is a calorie counting watch? I will be sure to look into this anything that can help me make sure I have an accurate count would be good.

It's a fitness tracker that you wear clipped to your clothes or worn like a watch.
    The basic ones count your steps and calories burned. And others have heart rate monitors.

you can also sync the majority of them to myfitnesspal, and it will do the math for you.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    If I run on a treadmill, I just manually enter the run into runkeeper (free app and really great if you ever run outside). I just entire the total time and total distance and it calculates it's own estimate of the calories and average pace (it already has my weight, age, gender, etc.) That syncs automatically with mfp so I don't have to bother entering anything here.
  • prettyteacher67
    Options
    You should invest in a decent heart rate monitor. I don't pay much attention to the log and its description as my monitor will tell me exactly how much calories were burned. For example... I jog then walk then run... I am everywhere as far as speed goes when I am on the treadmill
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options

@christinev297 The bolded made me chuckle. Would this be considered a classic Freudian slip?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

@christinev297 The bolded made me chuckle. Would this be considered a classic Freudian slip?

hehe I literally used to dread getting on the treadmill. So yeah, dreadmill is what I call it now :tongue: