Sweat and Chafing... what do you do?

Options
kr3851
kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
Hi to Everyone!

I've been big all my life and have always wanted to know... when I wear dresses or skirts, my thighs rub together like no tomorrow and I end up with really sore, chafed inner thighs. In the past, I've just avoided wearing them for more than a day, but now I'm starting to feel more girly and wanting to wear pretty things to feel better about myself. But how do I stop the chafing? The easy answer is to get skinny enough that my thighs don't rub together, but the only places I hear people talking about that is on anorexia forums and I don't want to get anywhere near that sort of territory...

Also, embarrassingly, where my undie elastic sits also gets quite chafed when I work out. My undies are quite possibly a little tight, so that may add to the discomfort but it really hurts sometimes when there doesn't seem to be much skin coverage as it's all rubbed off...

Any ideas?

Replies

• fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I would go to a running store and get some bodyglide. When I would go on long runs my legs would chafe where they rubbed together along with underneath my arm. It looks like a stick of deoderant and it will help things glide and not chafe. Good luck!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Try to wear boy short cut underwear. This has helped me. Some sports stores carry something called Body Glide. Athletes use it when running. Or you can use an oil based moisturizer on inner thighs to create less friction
  • prof_smartypants
    Options
    There's this stuff called "chamois butter" that cyclists use to lubricate their bike shorts so that their tender bits don't get all angry. My husband is a cyclist, so we have some in the house.

I use it when I run - just rub a bit on the bits that rub together (i.e. my inner thighs), and it works like a charm. It's not slimy at all. No more angry tender bits.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Great question! thansk for posting!
  • elsapm
    elsapm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide is a great option. There is also an sweat absorbing/anti-chafing powder called "Monkey Butt" that I love as well. Hanes carries undies where the elastic on the legs is cotton, not elastic, the boy shorts would be a great solution as well :)
    Good luck!
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I second what fraiseroja said: BODYGLIDE! I couldn't live without the stuff on my runs. I chaff really bad (especially my sports bra area), and body glide works wonders. If you apply enough of it to the affected area, you won't chaff at all. If you don't want to fork out the cash for the body glide, I know a lot of people also use Vaseline. Works the same way, it's just a littler goopier (if that's a word?).

Chaffing sucks - but luckily, we don't have to endure it. You can look cute without the chaffing!
  • veggievixen
    veggievixen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Gold Bond powder and Body Glide, the later you can find in running stores and is great for working out when you'll be sweating more. If you can afford it, buy workout clothes that are make with moisture wicking material, it will make a difference. Chafing happens if you're shaped like a girl, no avoiding it. Good luck and keep at it!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I have always used powder, but I read a post on here the other day where a lady said that she actually applies deodorant (powder stick kind) to her thighs and she said that it works better than any powder she has ever used. I plan to try this the next time I wear a dress. (I avoid dresses and skirts like the plague) :laugh:
  • caat1rules
    caat1rules Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    spandex as underwear works for me. BTW, I am not even near fat, and I still get chafing.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    spandex as underwear works for me. BTW, I am not even near fat, and I still get chafing.

This is what I've done in the past. Now I have a some spanx which serve the same purpose (and hold in my jiggly extra skin/fat a bit).
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! Certainly some options out there... no more suffering in silence!
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I run I tend to use Vaseline rather than Bodyglide...not sure how exactly I made the transition but Vaseline is way cheaper, so I can have it in multiple locations without breaking the bank, I also don't feel bad when I lose it. It seems to work better (for me) at preventing "chub rub" on my inner thighs, perhaps my aversion is to the deodorant like packaging of BG. (Which reminds me....in a real pinch, deodorant will help too.)

Monistat (sorry, boys) makes a product that is great as well, It's called Soothing Care Anti-Chafing gel....or something like that (http://www.monistat.com/soothing-care-powder-gel). It works wonders, even my husband has used it from time to time....although I imagine that he would never admit to using something made by Monistat. :P This is the stuff I use on hot days when I need to dress up and wear pantyhose, which seems to exacerbate the problem for me.

And.....if all else fails and you end up with a bit of chub rub, a little bit of diaper rash ointment makes it go away very quickly...we have it around the house even though there are no kiddos.