useless to excercise in super tiny bursts?

Options
I just started working out, I wanted to start slowly because I'm out of shape etc. I've just been doing little bursts here and there, maybe 5 minutes, then going to do something else, and continuing back later. Not a real regimen or anything obviously, but I'm just trying to get in the groove without tiring myself out because I get discouraged pretty easily. I told my dad this and he said it was just a waste of time to even bother doing it this way. Is that true? I know it's much better to exercise for a prolonged time obviously, but is it really not even helpful?

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Over time, these movements add up to strengthen you and get you mobile. Don't be discouraged. Go at your own pace with what your comfortable with. Eventually, you'll be able to push yourself harder and for longer. Until then, keep up the good work!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm on your side.

C25K is based on running then resting for one minute each. Over the progression of weeks it goes up. Start small, add more. So starting from where you at is critical to get to where you are going.

I heard on the radio that even fidgeting burns calories.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Five minutes of exercise is five minutes more than no exercise. If that's how you want to work into it, it beats the hell out of doing nothing.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    something is better than nothing....

i would work on increasing how long you work out. add a minute or two every other day or so.

When i started, i could BARELY do 5 minutes on the elliptical on its easiest setting. Now I can do an hour without an issue (most of the time LOL), and frequently do the arc trainer as well. I also added strength training, though its not my focus. but it took time and consistency to work up to extended periods of time.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :) When I decided to start walking on my treadmill, I started with 5 minutes at a time, just to get moving. Now I walk over 15,000 steps a day, go to dance classes, and lift weights. If all you ever do forever is little bursts of exercise, it may not result in much, but if it gets you started, then you are definitely on the right track. Just getting off the couch is a miracle start for some of us. :)

Never, never, never give up
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Five minutes of exercise is five minutes more than no exercise. If that's how you want to work into it, it beats the hell out of doing nothing.

Agreed. It's better than nothing and it's not intimidating. It's not a waste! Try gradually increasing the time and intensity as you get fitter and more confident.
  • stebbu
    stebbu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Ahhhh thank you guys so much for all your responses! I feel a lot better about this now, really it means a lot to me! I will continue doing what I'm doing then and increasing the length of my workout as I can. Thank you guys for your encouragement!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is a great plan, ESPECIALLY if it helps you get started and motivates you. No movement is a waste!! Keep it going!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    When I started the process back in March of this year, I walked for 10 to 15 mins at a time a couple of times a day. By July I was up to 5 miles a day and added strength training. I do 2 - 3 half hour strength training a week now, working up and lifting heavier things. Moving more and working up gradually is a wise coarse to follow to greater fitness. No movement is ever a waste. The more I move, the more I want to move.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) When I decided to start walking on my treadmill, I started with 5 minutes at a time, just to get moving. Now I walk over 15,000 steps a day, go to dance classes, and lift weights. If all you ever do forever is little bursts of exercise, it may not result in much, but if it gets you started, then you are definitely on the right track. Just getting off the couch is a miracle start for some of us. :)

Never, never, never give up

I love this! Adding in little increments usually does feel like it adds up surprisingly fast, imo. This approach has been working great for me, too. I find that the more active I become over time, the more I really want to be active, and then it feels like a necessity and desire, instead of a chore.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,271 Member
    Options
    It makes no sense to me that this would be a waste of time. Don't listen to your dad. Sounds like he might not be someone to talk about this to. If you can do short bursts and you're motivated, you're going to keep doing them. Before long, those short bits are going to get longer and longer. Pretty soon, they'll smoosh together into one much longer workout. It's like @jgnacta said: you're doing your own version based on the C25K. It's pretty unanimous here that you've got a good thing going. Skip chats with dad and come here instead. Doesn't sound like he'll be very encouraging during your journey to health. Stick to the positive people :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    We all started somewhere, and some of us were as weak as kittens (me). Take baby steps and increase your strength and endurance.

You are doing fine.

If you are just starting with random exercises have a look at nerdfitness.com they have a bodyweight routine that you can start easy and build on. Ie: push-ups against a wall building to doing them on the floor.

There are also lots of routines on YouTube that you could follow.

Cheers, h

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Any exercise you do is an absolute win, in my opinion :)

When I first started running on the treadmill, I struggled. Really, it was a brisk walk and I would get cramp and have to stop after 5 minutes or less. Now, I can sprint for good amounts of time on an incline. The fact is, I started out being unable to do very much at all but I did what I could. Gradually, I built up my stamina and fitness. It's baby steps - you're doing great.
  • DebJ618
    DebJ618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Agree with many of the other posters.
    Plus, you really do not want to overdo things (I've made that mistake in the past).

Also, as you work up to more time/weight/etc.... you can research HIT Training... it is meant to be done in anywhere from 10 minutes to **maybe** one hour at a time.
    Studies (sorry I do not have links at the time but you can search google) have shown that short bursts especially if you are giving it your all in that short burst is just as good and possibly better than say an hour jogging on a treadmill.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than nothing. And exercise does not have to be exhausting or complicated, starting with something simple like a 30 minute daily walk at a relaxed pace, for example, is perfectly good too.