Seniors and those who have problems exercising

Options
Hi, as you get older, it is a lot harder to not only loose weight but to exercise. This forum is for 55 and older or for people with health problems that prevent heavy exercise. What exercise opportunities are there? Any tips for maintaining a low calorie diet?

Replies

• jyc1
    jyc1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, as you get older, it is a lot harder to not only loose weight but to exercise. This forum is for 55 and older or for people with health problems that prevent heavy exercise. What exercise opportunities are there? Any tips for maintaining a low calorie diet?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    How do you think that it is harder for us? Sure our calorie allotment is somewhat lower but so is our calorie requirements.

I am 63 and quite honestly I don't have a hard time losing weight...if I stick to my calorie goal.

As far as exercise...most people at any age can walk...
    Sometimes I put on music and dance around the house.
    I do light resistance training...trying to work my way up to moderately light.
    There are many exercise sites dedicated to seniors...exercises to do while sitting...resistance work for the elderly.

There are weight programs out there for even people in wheel chairs.

etc etc

It takes some research but the info is out there.

I think...IMO...the elderly have been told so often that "it is harder to lose"...that we can't exercise...that many have begun to believe it.

Oh...I haven't ridden a bike in about 30years...thinking about getting one...just one of those cruiser bikes. They also have bikes for the "older" people that have two wheels in back...I might need one of those.

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am 50 myself

And i teach/coach a group of ladies that do walking/stepping/dancing and pool exercise...the youngest is me, the oldest is 93!!!!!

dont give up! thats for sure
    Eat at a calorie deficit and move the body parts you can move.

Some of my ladies do their exercise sitting some standing.
    Some low impact others higher.

Some walk with walkers and canes...but still they have a lot of fun.

Weight loss starts in the kitchen, moving is for being fitter ( longer)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    At 53, I find it easier to diet and exercise at this age then ever before. My 16 year old, is the only one left at home, I don't have to worry about what to do with the kids while I go out for an early morning walk. He dresses, fixes and eats breakfast, and gets to school on his own. If he wants calorie dense food, that I am not choosing to eat but find tempting, I tell him to keep it in his room. I don't have to monitor his diet, to make sure he doesn't eat too many cookies and spoil his dinner. I am post menopausal so I don't have to deal with the water weight fluctuations that come with that TOM. I find health at this age is far more motivational, than the mostly appearance related motivations of my younger years for fitness and weight loss.
    The changes in metabolism that come with age are really a minor thing. Most of the aches and pains that come with age are greatly helped by increased fitness and decreased weight. As for me, I refuse to let age, discourage me in my efforts. I will not use my bodies weakness as an excuse to not keep it strong. Exercise and weight loss makes me happy and healthy.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    The changes in metabolism that come with age are really a minor thing. Most of the aches and pains that come with age are greatly helped by increased fitness and decreased weight. As for me, I refuse to let age, discourage me in my efforts. I will not use my bodies weakness as an excuse to not keep it strong. Exercise and weight loss makes me happy and healthy.

Preach it!

• Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am 50 myself

And i teach/coach a group of ladies that do walking/stepping/dancing and pool exercise...the youngest is me, the oldest is 93!!!!!

dont give up! thats for sure
    Eat at a calorie deficit and move the body parts you can move.

Some of my ladies do their exercise sitting some standing.
    Some low impact others higher.

Some walk with walkers and canes...but still they have a lot of fun.

Weight loss starts in the kitchen, moving is for being fitter ( longer)

I am 67 and walk short distances with a walking stick but need my wheelchair for longer journeys! I have arthritis in nearly every joint and having problems with right hand and arm. I do as much moving about as I can and my hubby cooks healthy meals. My weight has come down a bit, but not as much as I hoped! :)
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Please don't talk as if us over 55s have more problems than the youngsters. Young people have health and mobility problems too. Think thyroid, think accidents etc etc.

I am 67 and find I lose weight just like any other woman (not man though). I eat at my deficit and I lose. In 3 weeks I have lost 5lbs, which I am very pleased about.

Regarding exercise I have a hairline fracture in my back which means I can't do a wide variety of exercise or for very long but I walk and use my exercise bike. I am trying to build these up slowly. After asking advice on here I am going to go swimming again, which is great exercise but does not put a lot of stress on the body.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    If you don't take care of your car it will run poorly. Eventually you might need to replace the car. Alternatively, you can change the oil regularly and maintain the vehicle to keep it running smoothly.

If you don't take care of your body it won't function very well. With the exception of knees and hips, we don't have the option of buying a new body. Consider exercise and diet as the required maintenance on yourself. It may not always be easy, but it's something you need to do.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    jyc1 wrote: »
    Any tips for maintaining a low calorie diet?

I'm not sure what you are considering a low calorie diet. You don't want to go below 1200 a day and that is sort of pushing it. I'm post menopausal and I have a calorie budget of 1800 a day and I am losing weight at my expected rate. I don't have that much to lose though. I gained 25lbs of 'lazy weight'.

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    As for as for weight loss ...it all starts in the kitchen!!!!

Weigh ALL your solid food on a food scale ( dont use cups and spoons it is inaccurate)

Create a deficit ( so eat less calories than you burn) And you WILL lose weight. Some fast others slow all depends on age, sex, medical conditions and medication, stress, activity etc. But you WILL, as long as you eat less than you burn

The whole moving and being active helps to get you fitter and yes you can eat a bit more :)

95069916.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    jyc1 wrote: »

Did you mean to add a link to a group for people 55 plus?

Not sure what you mean by heavy exercise. My 77 year old mother gardens, swims, walk, does yoga, maintains a 200 plus year old house and has recently started working with a trainer due to osteoporosis and arthritis in her back. It's easy for her to be active because she's always been active. My fiance's mother, who was not active earlier, is in much worse shape.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm 58, and i have bursitis in both hips and injured shoulders and some knee and elbow problems. it's super frustrating, because i love working out long and hard but have to be very careful.

honestly if you can walk, it's your best exercise - walk slow but for a long time and you'll burn some calories and work your muscles a bit.

the best way i know to maintain a lower calorie diet is to learn about what you eat. most people i know don't have any idea what has more or less calories, portion sizes or anything else. if you're a snacker like i am, discovering lower calorie tasty snacks also helps. so does staying busy doing something you love during a time when you might be snacking.

and substitutions can be super handy. for example, switching to dryer's slow churned low fat ice cream can save you calories over regular ice cream, and it's still super tasty (i eat the sugar free, btw). or switch to dannon light & fit greek yogurt - i love the cherry! some lower fat cheese has great taste and texture, but you'll have to experiment as not all does. if you can cut 25% of your calories doing substitutions, you can lose weight without changing anything else - i lost over 40 pounds that way.
  • capricorn2721
    capricorn2721 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am 67 and find that my biggest obstacle to exercise is not physical at all. It is getting into a lazy mode from time to time. When that happens, it becomes more difficult to make healthy choices. Usually, I walk or run on my treadmill once or twice a day. Do a little yoga and like to garden. Even doing simple housework will burn up the calories. As someone else mentioned earlier, take a good hard look at your food preparation and grocery shopping habits.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    Please don't talk as if us over 55s have more problems than the youngsters. Young people have health and mobility problems too. Think thyroid, think accidents etc etc.

I am 67 and find I lose weight just like any other woman (not man though). I eat at my deficit and I lose. In 3 weeks I have lost 5lbs, which I am very pleased about.

Regarding exercise I have a hairline fracture in my back which means I can't do a wide variety of exercise or for very long but I walk and use my exercise bike. I am trying to build these up slowly. After asking advice on here I am going to go swimming again, which is great exercise but does not put a lot of stress on the body.

IMO...In some ways it is easier for us "older" people. We don't have as many social pressures to contend with. So much of a younger persons life centers around meeting up with friends...having dinner...a drink...even just coffee.

My son(30) has been losing a few pounds. His biggest obstacle has been the lunches at work...going out with co-workers...meeting up with friends. He feels a lot more pressure than I do to participate in these things.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Walking, water aerobics, tai chi or yoga can be a start. There are plenty of low impact workouts as well.

It doesnt have to be the gym, but anything that gets you moving a bit more.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Why are there 2 versions of this thread?
    One started at 03/09 2:05 pm and on page 3, 15 posts; and this one started the same date at 2:01 pm.

jyc1 ask for the threads to be combined.

Cheers, h.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Well...she has not been back to either one so I am not sure that it really matters.
  • Micmaust
    Micmaust Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Capricorn,

You hit the nail on the head! In spite of my limitations there is a lot that I can do to keep active. I have plenty of time. I enjoy the feeling of satisfaction during and after the workout. And yet I sit here at the computer, I do housework or gardening every day. I do errands, but put them off until the last minute. I do not like to go out much, but I do it and usually enjoy myself once I'm out the door. I do not know what's wrong with me.