Need to loose 20 lbs!!!! By November

Options
13»

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    OP:
      at your size and weight, you cannot healthfully lose 2 lbs/ week If you don't want to run on the street, find a high school track near you to start A deficit just means burning more calories than you eat You really should read the Getting Started stickies
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    mitasuri wrote: »
    What does caloric defict mean??? And what is point of eating back calories I just burned off??!

ote="FatMoojor;33865838"]1. Input all your stats in to MFP and set weight loss at 0.5lb or 1lb. You don't have a lot to lose so it's better to set a realistic number, you didn't gain the weight in 2 months, so don't expect it to just go in 2 months.
    2. Buy yourself a set of electronic scales
    3. Weigh everything you eat, this includes measuring any oils etc (don't use cup/tablespoons)
    4. Log everything you have eaten, use the weight for most accuracy.
    5. Make sure you are eating the number of calories MFP has suggested you eat for the weight loss selected in 1
    6. If you exercise eat back 50% of the number MFP tells you you burnt, unless you have a heart rate monitor. At which point you can eat back the number of calories your heart rate monitor told you you burnt.
    7. Repeat 3 - 6 until you are at your desired weight

For the 5k, Google c25k. Follow the plan and just do the 5k, finishing times don't really matter on your first 5k just completing it is enough of a high. Worry about doing it quickly later.

[/quote]

Calorie deficit is when you are eating less calories than your body requires to maintain its current weight.
    Calorie surplus is when you are eating more calories than your body required to maintain its current weight

To lose weight you have to have a calorie deficit, that way your body will use stored energy to function, meaning that you will lose weight as your body uses fats etc you already have to function correctly.

The simple answer to why you eat back your calories is because you are using MFP and that is the way it is designed. You calorie deficit comes from eating less food and eating back your exercise calories. Again this is all down to making this a sustainable thing and not a yoyo diet.
    If you are training for a 5k, and didn't eat back your calories (burnt from training) you would very quickly find yourself tired and probably very hungry. This normally ends up with a binge on rubbish food because of the hunger and also increased chance of injury because your body isn't getting the calories needed to repair itself from exercise and provide the energy for you to continue training.

Understand that there is no quick way to do this, you have to realise that this isn't can't be about getting ready for just 1 5k race in a couple of months, you are looking to make a change that will be the new you for hopefully the rest of your life.

Accept right now that you are not going to lose 20lbs by the time this 5k race comes about, that is a given if you want to do this correctly. But what you will do is lose some weight, you will be able to train for the 5k and you will be able to finish the 5k.
  • mitasuri
    mitasuri Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    [
    Thanks now I understand no wonder I have been feeling tired and hungry too having headaches as well ... Well I know this is what I want to do I want to be healthy and it's a
    Life style change not temporary thing...
    So MFP says I need to eat 1200 calories does automatic tells me what will be my caloric defict .... Or not how will I know

quote="FatMoojor;33866392"]
    mitasuri wrote: »
    What does caloric defict mean??? And what is point of eating back calories I just burned off??!

ote="FatMoojor;33865838"]1. Input all your stats in to MFP and set weight loss at 0.5lb or 1lb. You don't have a lot to lose so it's better to set a realistic number, you didn't gain the weight in 2 months, so don't expect it to just go in 2 months.
    2. Buy yourself a set of electronic scales
    3. Weigh everything you eat, this includes measuring any oils etc (don't use cup/tablespoons)
    4. Log everything you have eaten, use the weight for most accuracy.
    5. Make sure you are eating the number of calories MFP has suggested you eat for the weight loss selected in 1
    6. If you exercise eat back 50% of the number MFP tells you you burnt, unless you have a heart rate monitor. At which point you can eat back the number of calories your heart rate monitor told you you burnt.
    7. Repeat 3 - 6 until you are at your desired weight

For the 5k, Google c25k. Follow the plan and just do the 5k, finishing times don't really matter on your first 5k just completing it is enough of a high. Worry about doing it quickly later.

[/quote]

Calorie deficit is when you are eating less calories than your body requires to maintain its current weight.
    Calorie surplus is when you are eating more calories than your body required to maintain its current weight

To lose weight you have to have a calorie deficit, that way your body will use stored energy to function, meaning that you will lose weight as your body uses fats etc you already have to function correctly.

The simple answer to why you eat back your calories is because you are using MFP and that is the way it is designed. You calorie deficit comes from eating less food and eating back your exercise calories. Again this is all down to making this a sustainable thing and not a yoyo diet.
    If you are training for a 5k, and didn't eat back your calories (burnt from training) you would very quickly find yourself tired and probably very hungry. This normally ends up with a binge on rubbish food because of the hunger and also increased chance of injury because your body isn't getting the calories needed to repair itself from exercise and provide the energy for you to continue training.

Understand that there is no quick way to do this, you have to realise that this isn't can't be about getting ready for just 1 5k race in a couple of months, you are looking to make a change that will be the new you for hopefully the rest of your life.

Accept right now that you are not going to lose 20lbs by the time this 5k race comes about, that is a given if you want to do this correctly. But what you will do is lose some weight, you will be able to train for the 5k and you will be able to finish the 5k.[/quote]

• jsmit17
    jsmit17 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Though your wish to lose 20 pounds by November is a little bit unrealistic, you can still train to run a 5K! Definitely download the app Couch to 5K. I know a lot of people who have had success with that app if you stick to that and your calorie goal religiously you should be able to drop a decent amount of weight by that time. My suggestion to you would be to maybe lower your goal to 10 pounds by November and extend it to 20 for the new year ! Set goals within reach and build your self a little support group on MFP! Most people here are in the same boat, myself being one of them so we will all be here for motivation if you find you need it! Good luck!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k when I was 5'4" and about 160. You can do it. I mean, of course eat at deficit and try to lose fat if you want. But carrying some extra weight shouldn't stop you from running 3.something miles.
  • mitasuri
    mitasuri Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yea maybe I should drop to 10 lbs I don't know what I was thinking !!!! I thought I can but its really hard and Iam getting hungry diZzyness headache all
    The time
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Firstly, change your rate of loss to 0.5 or 1lb a week.
    The number of calories that MFP says to eat on a daily basis has your deficit calculated in to lose that amount of weight.
    This number will change when you enter the exercise you have done, just target to eat the number of calories it is telling you.
    The only thing you may need to do is half the number of calories MFP says you burn when you enter it in as exercise, unless you are using a heart rate monitor.

Using MFP really is that simple, you enter your stats and rate of loss and then it's all down to tracking and getting as close to that calorie number as possible.