hot water and lemon

Options
What are your thoughts on hot water and lemon first thing in the morning? Have had lots of people tell me it speeds up weight loss. Has it worked for u?

Replies

• bwinek2014
    bwinek2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've found that it does get things moving in the digestion area-- cleansing way to start the day!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    It warms me up on cold mornings... I sweeten it with honey... and it definitely soothes a sore throat when I feel a cold is about to begin. Weight loss? NO... Or else, I'd be skinny. I love making lemon tea.
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    As far as 'speeding up weight loss', I think it's bunk.

But, hot water and lemon makes for a nice brew in the morning regardless. :)
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I have a glass every morning because I enjoy it and I'm thirsty.

It does not do anything for weight loss. All you need for weight loss is a caloric deficit. I recommend you check out the stickies in this section for information on getting started with MFP.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    bwinek2014 wrote: »
    I've found that it does get things moving in the digestion area-- cleansing way to start the day!

Ditto.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    If you drink hot water and lemon in place of a large triple-triple every morning, then yes, you might notice some weight loss. Otherwise, not so much. ;)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Lemon and hot water will not, by itself, cause weight loss.

Combined with a caloric deficit, sure. But it's not because of the lemon water.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Works only when you drink it at 3 minutes past 12, Standing on your left foot, facing West and hold your right ear with your left hand.

Oh and when you stay in your caloric deficit of course ;)
  • tduriez
    tduriez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's just a good way to start your day off. Drinking a glass of water before any meal is good for you, it helps make you feel fuller there for eat less. Lemon just zazzes up plain water!
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bump^^ careful tho with doing it everyday/meal as the acid in lemon can ware down your enamal over time ^ chance of make teeth more vulnerable to cavities
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I drink it when I am under the water
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It's nice with a little Earl Grey and honey in it. Otherwise, no specific weight loss benefits unless as Earlandabby said you are using it to replace a more caloric beverage...
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My rule...don't drink/eat something because someone says it's good for weight loss. I eat/drink it because I like it...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    sarasakoor wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on hot water and lemon first thing in the morning? Have had lots of people tell me it speeds up weight loss. Has it worked for u?

No, it does not speed up weight loss. In fact, no food or drink does that.

What speeds up weight loss is eating at a calorie deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    Works only when you drink it at 3 minutes past 12, Standing on your left foot, facing West and hold your right ear with your left hand.

Oh and when you stay in your caloric deficit of course ;)

I think it works better when standing on your right foot, facing east, and holding your left ear with your right hand. You can actually do this at any time. :D
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Lots of good responses here. Lemon water (hot or cold) is good for hydration, may be refreshing or soothing but will not aid in weight loss unless accompanied by calorie deficit. Replacing a choc. shake with this beverage might do the trick however!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    This needed a bump from April? Ok. Sure. Lemon water is good, but only cold, with sugar. It has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love it but I add cocoa mix to the hot water and replace the lemon with whipped cream.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I have a glass every morning because I enjoy it and I'm thirsty.

It does not do anything for weight loss. All you need for weight loss is a caloric deficit. I recommend you check out the stickies in this section for information on getting started with MFP.

+1

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This needed a bump from April? Ok. Sure. Lemon water is good, but only cold, with sugar. It has nothing to do with weight loss.

Doh! I didn't even notice!