The wardrobe dilemma

Options
Anyone else struggling with guilt for going through sizes so quickly and needing to spend money you don't have on clothes so you don't walk around looking / feeling sloppy all the time? It's time to downsize again....

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    We have Salvation Army/charity shops here where you can get second hand clothes for $1-$10 (sometimes less). If you're looking for stuff to bum around the house in or to work out in, you might be able to find some ok clothes there.

My brother and his friends have $5 parties all the time, where you have to go in an outfit that cost less than $5 - including shoes and accessories. Some of the stuff they turn up in....
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Goodwill? That's where I took the clothes I had outgrown, and bought clothes in sizes that fit me as I was losing. Heck, I even go there now occasionally. :wink: Their prices aren't too bad, and I like helping them out when I can with donations.
    Good luck! Like you said, what a nice problem to have!
    Kaye
  • LamsieDee
    LamsieDee Posts: 85
    Options
    Did you try freecycle? it's on the web do a search. It's people in your local area giving things away by posting them. first come gets it. you can give away or ask for stuff. like you could say...need shorts in size 10 and if someone has it they email you and you go get it.
  • LamsieDee
    LamsieDee Posts: 85
    Options
    Did you try freecycle? it's on the web do a search. It's people in your local area giving things away by posting them. first come gets it. you can give away or ask for stuff. like you could say...need shorts in size 10 and if someone has it they email you and you go get it.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    consignments stores to swap out if your stuff is still in good shape they will take them and when they sell you get a portion of the $
    how about good will to donate and buy
    our goodwill is a treasure chest I find stuff like DKNY and Jones New York still with store tags on
    and a fration of store prices

swap out with a friend?
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For things that are a little on the higher-end, do you have any nice consignment shops or a Plato's Closet around you? I love buying second hand. I'm heading to Plato's Closet today to look for shorts, all of my shorts from last summer are waaaaaaaaaaaay too big :D
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Great work with your weight loss! I don't have any solutions to offer, but I've definitely been there. I remember once my co-worker walked into my classroom asking me a question and then stopped mid-question, interrupting herself: "....and why on earth are you wearing that shirt? It's five sizes too big." She was so distracted, she forgot what she'd come to ask me.

Keep up the good work and don't let limited clothing options stop you!

-LP
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    As I went down in size, I scoured my closets and drawers for anything that I could wear. When I bought new clothes, I bought a couple of pieces at a time that would work for a size or two and would mix and match and do double duty. I am going to my aunt's funeral Monday and I have a VERY nice pair of black jeans that I will wear a nice blouse and shoes with. I am NOT going to buy a dress just for one occasion.

Ask friends if they have clothes in your size that they want to get rid of, check garage sales, resale shops, etc. There is no reason to spend a ton of money on something you won't wear for long!

Mary
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    The only bad thing about losing weight is having to buy new clothes, especially if you have some stuff you love to wear that is too big for you now. I have had to go through three sets of wardrobes now. My original, my clothes from 6-8 years ago (luckily I haven't had to buy anything), my new clothes I bought back in March (now getting big), and my new sizes now I am wearing. I guess four sets.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I edited my original post bc I don't mean to sound whiny or ungrateful.... I am, however, frustrated at the moment! I have gone to goodwill, got a cute pair of shorts... I guess I just have to add a few pieces at a time and focus on the fact that this is a good dilemma. When I went into size six I posted am ad on craigslist and scored a bunch of stuff for free ( but gave the lady $20). Maybe I should try that again...
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Ps - thank you all for the ideas and support. I think I needed it. Helps to keep it in perspective and see that there ARE solutions that won't break the bank.
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30lbs since starting. I have started using my belt to hold up my jeans rather than buy a heap of new clothes. i did get a new jacket for winter and a pair of jeans. Also my sister has lost a lot of weight so she has sent me some of her old clothes. At least its a good reason to have a wardrobe dilema :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I had a few "if I lose weight" items hanging around, but when I passed through those then the 2nd hand and thrift stores became my salvation...along with outlets (Burke's down here) and clearance racks. The only problem with clearance racks is that it is seasonal, now you are able to buy winter stuff but you need summer stuff.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I just buy 10 dollar sun dresses from walmart. lol
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know it gets expensive but stick with it and when your "Old" clothes are too big, get rid of them. I know its hard to do but its the very best thing you can do when you are losing weight. I started with extra large shirts and now am medium. I had 1 shirt from when I started that I loved so I kept it and it still fit alright but when I wore it, I felt like the old me, not the new me, and I almost gave up. I put it in the bag for goodwill. Far as buying new stuff, just do like others said, get a couple peices at a time and buy tight...that way they fit you tight, comfortable, and loose before you have to buy again. I go to goodwill once a month (first saturday of each month) they have their stuff 1/2 price here in Kentucky and that helps me tremendously. I live in a travel trailer with my husband and 3 kids so buying new isn't an option but staying obese and being unhealthy certainly wasn't an option just because I can't afford different clothes. We do what we can when we can and it works. Hang in there. Enjoy the new smaller you, and congrats on all your efforts and successes.
  • wnw64
    wnw64 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 15lbs since getting serious weight loss & exercise. I've just started noticing my work pants are getting a bit baggy & have been notching my belt tighter to help. Luckily, I happen to have a few sizes below available (left from when I put on the weight to revert back to (I never through anything away.....). I'll tell you one thing, it's a whole lot better worry about buying smaller clothes than the depressing dilemma of buying larger clothes. When I was at the store about a month ago, this is exactly what happened. I made the decision to stop the madness, put the larger clothes back on the shelf, and walked out of the store without buying anything other than a new pair of work-out sneakers & white socks. My daughter goes to Plato's Closet to exchange old clothes for new clothes, so that might work for you. For my clothes buying, I typically by clothes out of season to get the best deals. In any event, this is a good problem to have & congrats to you for your success!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    NOPE! If I go down a few sizes, I am ECSTATIC to buy new clothes! :love:
  • killthesmiley
    killthesmiley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It can get expensive.
    I've been bringing my old clothes to second hand stores and searching through those. I know a lot of people have hang ups about second hand stores, which I will admit I do as well. I find taking the clothing to a dry cleaners helps a bit (and take a large load, some places will offer discounts for largers loads eg: curtains, comforters, etc).
    I also found a group of people on the online classifieds that meet up and old a free-shop once a month where you bring in anything you don't want and you are allow to go through the stuff and take whatever you want. Its a pretty nifty idea!
  • killthesmiley
    killthesmiley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It can get expensive.
    I've been bringing my old clothes to second hand stores and searching through those. I know a lot of people have hang ups about second hand stores, which I will admit I do as well. I find taking the clothing to a dry cleaners helps a bit (and take a large load, some places will offer discounts for largers loads eg: curtains, comforters, etc).
    I also found a group of people on the online classifieds that meet up and old a free-shop once a month where you bring in anything you don't want and you are allow to go through the stuff and take whatever you want. Its a pretty nifty idea!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem last weekend, and could not believe how emotional it was! It's taken me about 25 pounds to drop a size, and originally, I could not WAIT to buy new clothes! But last week when suddently nothing fit and I was faced with the dreaded dressing room, and I was actually depressed. I had a moment in the mirror last week when I still felt fat,as I am only (or should I say already) half-way to goal. (Things are so much better this week!)

I did end up shopping last weekend and bought a couple of mix and match outfits. I even tried on a suit that was a sleeveless dress and jacket (I usually wear pants). The jacket was WAY to cute, and it was on sale to a point to what I would have paid for the jacket alone, so I tried it on. WOW! it fit like a glove, and I actually liked the dress -- even without the jacket!

Anyway, I ended up buying some better "investment" pieces, but they were incredibly on sale. My rule is that if I am going to buy something, it must make me look / feel good and not just only "fit" and look "OK". I also try to make a list of what is missing in my wardrobe from a mix/match point and shop for those pieces only. I also will wear the "I've got to find something that matches these pants" to the store with me so that they are in my face as I shop. (yes, I found a shirt to match the funny-colored olive pants that fit me last week -- surprisingly it's pink and the same funny color olive. Quite the accident!) This makes shopping alot more work, but it is worth it in the end.

You might also want to consider your shoes and accessories -- this is a great way of taking some basic pieces and making them look incredibly different. And generally speaking, these will fit no matter what size you are.

btw: I read your original post and you didn't sound whiney at all! Losing weight is a very emotional process -- even the successes can create some anxiety and angst. And if you can't vent to your MFP friends about it -- people who have been there and understand-- who else can you talk to? Trust me, I've been there, and I never ever thought I would feel bad about buying new clothes!

Have fun shopping!