What the heck??

Options
I have lost 85 lbs in a little less then 6 months and I know that I have done an amazing job. About a month ago I changed jobs and had a hard time getting my exercise routine down, needless to say it has taken this whole month for me to get back into it. So this week I have been working out 45 min a day. This morning I weighed and gained 5 lbs. I have no clue why or how or if its even possible. This is the 1st time in 6 months I have gained so I am pretty discouraged. Any advice would help!!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention due to exercise.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible to gain five pounds in a month.

There's not enough information here to do anything other than guess why.
  • caseyshelton911
    caseyshelton911 Posts: 28 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Oh Im sorry, I weighed two days prior so the weight gain was over the last two days.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Agree on water retension if it's a sudden gain. Not sure if this is a 5lb gain in a week, or if you gained 5lbs over the month (which could possible).

You clearly know how to lose; get back to it, make sure you're consistently and accurately logging and have some patience. Hopefully you've locked in the new schedule. Good luck!
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    This is almost certainly glycogen associated water retention.

If you diet consistently then you don't build up a reserve of glycogen (sugar stored in muscles and liver). Glycogen causes you to store an additional 3-5 lbs of water, since it's dissolved in water in your cells. If you take a break from dieting and eat at maintenance, you build up your glycogen reserve again, retain that water again, and your weight goes up again.

I suspect that you were eating at a deficit for your activity level, but your activity decreased, so you built up your glycogen reserves again. Get back to the old diet and exercise and you'll probably find those 5 lbs disappear in a week or two.
  • Steve4239
    Steve4239 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    could be anything time of day, weather or not you have been to the loo, meal the night before, how hydrated you are. weight loss is not linear it goes up and down over time so long as there is a downward trend the you will reach your goal
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Oh Im sorry, I weighed two days prior so the weight gain was over the last two days.

Then it's most certainly water retention. There's just no way you added 5 pounds of fat over the last 2 days.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Maybe weigh yourself every morning for the next few days before you say that you've gained 5lbs. 5lbs could be from any number of things besides just fat. It could be water weight, your period, a big meal yesterday, etc. The scale could be pretty drastically different tomorrow.

If you did gain a bit, my first thought is that it might be from working a more seditary job? Even if it doesn't really feel like you're sitting more, little changes throughout the day can really add up. Workplace dynamics can make a difference too, if you're eating out with coworkers, or people bring in trests. Working out will really help with this, though, so you're already making a difference!

I think you should feel proud of yourself for your determination to keep working out - not discoureged over a bit of weight you may or may not have gained back. You lost it once, you can loose it again :)
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    TOM?
  • caseyshelton911
    caseyshelton911 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!! While I haven't been doing my regular routine, I have maintained a caloric intake of between 1100 and 1400 a day. Just hadn't ever ran into a gain (unless it was around my period), I figured it may have been water retention and will def weigh myself in a few days and see if it's changed :)
  • empireman85
    empireman85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can gain five pounds in a day with a handful of pretzels and a couple beers. Two days later it's all back to normal.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I can gain 5lbs in a week. That's why I weigh myself every day. If it goes up a bit I drink more and work out a bit more. Sure you will lose it again. X
  • EvilsWifey0513
    EvilsWifey0513 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im glad I looked at this, I have lost 34lbs over the past few months with just dieting and no exercise and I've noticed I need to tone up so I started a 30 day challenge on the 1st, plus Im about to start my period within the next few days and I was getting depressed seeing I've gained 4lbs the past few days!
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    The more you lose the harder it is to lose more. You weight loss will slow down. Tighten up your logging, increase exercise or eat less.