Why didn't I just listen??

Options
I've been very busy working on landscaping projects as well as continuing my usual workouts. For the last few days, my muscles (especially my legs) have been very fatigued. I kept pushing through and kept my usual routine. To make things worse, I'd gained 2 pounds and hadn't done anything different as far as my eating plan. I had had thoughts that I should back off my workouts for one night and rest my muscles, but I didn't do it. Guess I was trying to be superwoman or something.

Last night my muscles were screaming so badly, I decided to not workout and did lighter parts of the landscaping. Felt like a new woman this morning and...

The 2 pounds is gone!!

This was a great lesson for me on listening to my body. To stop and pay attention. Thought I would share this as it might help someone else...

Replies

• Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle as well...
  • stbxadict
    stbxadict Posts: 11
    Options
    It's so important to let your body recover. This is a lesson I learn over and over again! I have superwoman syndrome and like to think I can do it all.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Inflammation due to overuse can cause temporary water weight gain. Give yourself time to recover and don't overtrain. Thanks for the info!
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @stbxadict yup - well superman LOL But yeh - I've done some damage a few times before waking up to the signs & signals that's it not too bright. Just ends up forcing you to have more downtime in the long run.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It's so important to let your body recover. This is a lesson I learn over and over again! I have superwoman syndrome and like to think I can do it all.

This is me too! At some point you'd think we'd learn, but nope, just keep relearning the same lesson...
  • stbxadict
    stbxadict Posts: 11
    Options
    @stbxadict yup - well superman LOL But yeh - I've done some damage a few times before waking up to the signs & signals that's it not too bright. Just ends up forcing you to have more downtime in the long run.

More downtime, or even worse - an injury. It's happened to me more than I like to admit to myself. I find that yoga 1x/week and allowing for proper recovery helps me avoid injury. I'm currently on a one week recovery break - my legs have been sore since Saturday, they're feeling much better today - I've been foam rolling and stretching all week. I'm hoping to start new rules of weight lifting for women on Monday (the program schedules in recovery days - something I need to be forced to do sometimes!) It's funny, when a recover day is actually scheduled in I feel better about taking it than if it's not. So silly of me.